Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Mustardy Green Beans with Anchovied Walnuts

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 1:52 pm
This was very easy and delicious. Since it can be made ahead and served at room temperature, it's a nice dish for Shabbos lunch

When anchovies are used so they melt, they become a wonderful salty tang so don't be afraid of them.

Notes are those of the author

Mustardy Green Beans with Anchovied Walnuts

Excerpt From: Alison Roman. “Nothing Fancy.

“I’m rarely ambivalent about anything, but right now I’ll level with you. When it comes to this particular recipe, it doesn’t really matter how you cook the green beans. The key is to have just-cooked green beans, lightly dressed and topped in a tangy, mustardy dressing, with toasted, garlicky, anchovyed walnuts. The most interesting way to cook the beans in my opinion is grilling, because you can do it hot and fast so they get nicely charred without overcooking, but unless you have fat green beans or a grill with small grates, it can be heartbreaking (and annoying) to watch them slip through and fall into the coals. That said, roasting is great, especially when cooking for a crowd because you can roast a lot at a time in only a few minutes (just make sure not to crowd the baking sheet). That also said, I mean, if you want to just sauté them, you can do that, too! It’s honestly a real “choose your own green bean adventure.”

1 cup raw walnuts, coarsely chopped
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
4 anchovy fillets
1 garlic clove, finely grated
1½ pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
1 lemon, thinly sliced, seeds removed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar or white wine vinegar
¼ cup fresh dill, finely chopped

1 Preheat the oven to 450°F (or heat a grill to medium-high).

2 Heat the walnuts and ¼ cup oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Cook, swirling occasionally, until the walnuts are toasted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the anchovies and garlic, swirling to dissolve the anchovies; set aside.

3 Place the green beans and lemon on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with enough olive oil to lightly coat and season with salt and pepper. Roast (or grill), tossing green beans and lemon once or twice, until they’ve started to char and brown in spots, 12 to 15 minutes (closer to 8 to 10 if grilling).

4 Combine the mustard, vinegar, and the remaining ¼ cup olive oil in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the green beans and toss to coat. Transfer to a serving platter and top with the reserved walnuts and the dill.

DO AHEAD Green beans can be cooked and dressed a few hours ahead, stored loosely covered at room temperature (this is an excellent room-temperature dish).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes