Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
Maccabeats come out with a song for George Floyd
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 4:04 am

You didn't sing a song for anyone killed by antisemitism, or the 3 boys kidnapped.
Why start now?

chanatron1000

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 4:20 am
Wait, but they don't actually say his name?

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 4:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You didn't sing a song for anyone killed by antisemitism, or the 3 boys kidnapped.
Why start now?

To enrage you. Its working.

sushilover

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 4:59 am
Why do you care?

chanatron1000

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 5:19 am
I don't care all that much, and I will probably forget about this completely when I close this browser tab, but this song is too much about honoring George Floyd as a person and not enough about preventing injustice and brutality.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 5:49 am
Why not start now?

In order to climb Mount Everest you have to take the first step. You may not get there today, or tomorrow, but where will you be if you don't take any steps at all?

"What about-ism" doesn't help anyone. It's not like empathy is a limited resource, that we have to hoard for ourselves. Hashem has given us enough to go around for everybody.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 6:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Why start now?

Because there is a fear that not saying something means you support White Supremacy or something.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 6:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Why start now?
Because this hit close to home for these AMERICAN men. They live in america and is right in their faces all of the time right now. Its what the news is all about for them, it current.

Antisemitism is not at their doorstep possibly.
And the 3 boys who were kidnapped, well, that was only over here in Israel, so it probably did not/does not affect them in the same way.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 6:22 am
DrMom wrote:
Because there is a fear that not saying something means you support White Supremacy or something.

Or - perhaps - they actually care.

Chickensoupprof

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 6:46 am
Why is it important for you to ask this? [edited]

Simple1

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 6:53 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Why not start now?

In order to climb Mount Everest you have to take the first step. You may not get there today, or tomorrow, but where will you be if you don't take any steps at all?

"What about-ism" doesn't help anyone. It's not like empathy is a limited resource, that we have to hoard for ourselves. Hashem has given us enough to go around for everybody.

I suspect what the OP is saying that it's political rather than about actual caring

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 7:14 am
This may just be their belief system. They put out a song on Martin Luther King day with a black singing group 4 years ago. This isn’t a recent jump on the bandwagon.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 7:38 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
Why is it important for you to ask this? If you don't care about POC, there is a nice group in the south of the US they wear white pointed hats.

I don’t respond much in threads where mostly everything is said, but just WOW!!!! That was a very obnoxious thing to say. No words....

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 7:50 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Because this hit close to home for these AMERICAN men. They live in america and is right in their faces all of the time right now. Its what the news is all about for them, it current.

And the 3 boys who were kidnapped, well, that was only over here in Israel, so it probably did not/does not affect them in the same way.

I wanted to say, surely you don't mean all American men (and women). But I don't want to throw them under the bus. For now I can be dlkz that they have some reason for doing this. (And for all I know they did some genuine teshuva, tefilla, and tzedakah as a zechus for the boys Hy"d. I really don't know.)

ETA: to correct a typo.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Wed, Jun 10 2020, 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 7:59 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

There was a string of random anti-Semitic attacks on innocent Jews walking down the street in a few Brooklyn neighborhoods a few months ago. It was a really scary time. Where was the support then? Wasn't that close to home?

watergirl

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 8:12 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
Why is it important for you to ask this? If you don't care about POC, there is a nice group in the south of the US they wear white pointed hats.

You are really making a stretch here and putting words into her post that she did not say and did not intend. Where did she say she does not care about POC? She is asking why the maccabeats did not make a song also for our own boys and why did they start now with SJ songs.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 8:40 am
watergirl wrote:
You are really making a stretch here and putting words into her post that she did not say and did not intend. Where did she say she does not care about POC? She is asking why the maccabeats did not make a song also for our own boys and why did they start now with SJ songs.

missing from her post was "here is a nice/thoughtful/moving song by the maccabeats".... it did not feel implied either.

Why are the maccabeats up for discussion?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 8:54 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I wanted to say, surely you don't mean all American men (and women). But I don't want to throw them under the bus. For now I can be dlkz that they have some reason for doing this. (And for all I know they did some genuine teshuva, tefilla, and tzedakah as a zechus for the boys Hy"d. I really don't know.)

ETA: to correct a typo.
I never said all american men. I meant the guys who are singing, the maccabeats.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 8:56 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
There was a string of random anti-Semitic attacks on innocent Jews walking down the street in a few Brooklyn neighborhoods a few months ago. It was a really scary time. Where was the support then? Wasn't that close to home?
Maybe it wasnt close to home for them. I have no idea. I know literally nothing about them. I dont even know where they are based.
For whatever reason, this was something they felt the need to write a song about.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 9:07 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:

The Maccabeats performed at the "No Hate No Fear" rally in January.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts