Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
Maccabeats come out with a song for George Floyd
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 9:17 am
yo'ma wrote:
I don’t respond much in threads where mostly everything is said, but just WOW!!!! That was a very obnoxious thing to say. No words....

Reading OPs comment made me feel like she was saying "Of all people, they chose to sing about those people?

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 9:18 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
The Maccabeats performed at the "No Hate No Fear" rally in January.

https://m.facebook.com/JCRCNY/.....85890

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 9:21 am
yo'ma wrote:
I don’t respond much in threads where mostly everything is said, but just WOW!!!! That was a very obnoxious thing to say. No words....

Liberals can do that. I am actually not surprised.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 9:26 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I never said all american men. I meant the guys who are singing, the maccabeats.

I'm glad I gave you the opportunity to clarify.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 9:34 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Why not start now?

In order to climb Mount Everest you have to take the first step. You may not get there today, or tomorrow, but where will you be if you don't take any steps at all?

"What about-ism" doesn't help anyone. It's not like empathy is a limited resource, that we have to hoard for ourselves. Hashem has given us enough to go around for everybody.

Love this comment, and love the maccabeats.

icedcoffee

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 10:05 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Why not start now?

In order to climb Mount Everest you have to take the first step. You may not get there today, or tomorrow, but where will you be if you don't take any steps at all?

"What about-ism" doesn't help anyone. It's not like empathy is a limited resource, that we have to hoard for ourselves. Hashem has given us enough to go around for everybody.

Yup, great post. It's amazing to me how many threads I've seen with either surprise or confusion, trying to figure out the motives of why people are getting involved. Maybe.... they just feel it aligns with their values. It's not that everyone is all huddled together in some hidden agenda. Off of the bubble of this website, a huge amount of people are supportive and empathetic. Better late than never.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 11:14 am
Maybe 6 years ago they didn't have the confidence to write a song about the Naftali, Gilad, and Eyal. Are you the same person as you were 6 years ago?
Maybe it was too closs to their hearts and too painful. Maybe they were to nervous to write a song and they didn't want anyone to think they were belittle the tzaar and monetizing the tragedy. Maybe the families didn't want.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 11:21 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Because this hit close to home for these AMERICAN men. They live in america and is right in their faces all of the time right now. Its what the news is all about for them, it current.

Antisemitism is not at their doorstep possibly.
And the 3 boys who were kidnapped, well, that was only over here in Israel, so it probably did not/does not affect them in the same way.

I can understand why you say that it is more in their face. And that's why they may have been inspired to produce this song.

But my heart aches for naftali, gilad, and Eyal daily. They were innocent, pure, young and had so much potential. I don't care where in the world they were. Or that father in France murdered while taking his two children to school. Or the Jersey City Jews. My heart aches for them.

soap suds

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 12:01 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
missing from her post was "here is a nice/thoughtful/moving song by the maccabeats".... it did not feel implied either.

Why are the maccabeats up for discussion?

Why should they not be up for discussion? Anyone and everything is up for discussion around here.

soap suds

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 12:03 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Reading OPs comment made me feel like she was saying "Of all people, they chose to sing about those people?

To me it sounded more like "Of all people, they chose to sing about this person?"
And that, to me, is a very legitimate question.

Disclaimer: I did not listen to the song, so if I may be wrong about the song being about him personally. But this is how I read the OP.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 12:18 pm
soap suds wrote:
Why should they not be up for discussion? Anyone and everything is up for discussion around here.

not really.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 12:24 pm
They are officially off my Spotify list now.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 1:33 pm
In related news,

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 2:26 pm
I realize that this is annoying but how can we be judge, jury, and executioner without getting a back story? Maybe they were specifically asked to do this by someone they didn't want to say no to. Or other. These kids are not reshai'im. Let's get creative in being dlkz OR find a way to contact them directly and get something in print they're happy to have circulating.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 2:58 pm
groisamomma wrote:
They are officially off my Spotify list now.

They never were on my Spotify list, but would have definetely delete them if they were!

chanatron1000

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 3:59 pm

imasoftov

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 4:44 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 4:59 pm
The Maccabeats have a wide mainstream fanbase. They are a Jewish group but their content and target audience isn't always the Jewish community, esp not the charedi community. Their songs are usually parodies of secular songs that ppl in the charedi world probably don't even know. I'm not surprised by this song and I don't think there's anythign wrong with it. It's not as if it's part of a 10-song album being sold in local frum stores. It's probably not even meant for you, it's meant for the wider American audience. Don't let it bother you.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 5:01 pm
I think these statements, songs, scholarship funds in his "honor" are ridiculous. The man was a criminal. He had been in jail for a house invasion conviction. Hello? When this incident occurred he was trying to commit a crime! No, this absolutely does not warrant the fact he was murdered by a police officer. That was 100% wrong. But, the murder of a criminal should not raise him to practically the equivalent of sainthood either.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 5:03 pm
and by the way, since George Floyd isnt even mentioned, you can probably sing this song for any person killed unneccessarily in a brutal manner, victims of violence and terrorism etc
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts