Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Israeli Charedi vs. Lakewood School System
Previous  1  2

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 8:17 am
OP, which schools did you attend after moving to Israel? Moderate charedi ones? Mainstream ones? Anti- government ones?

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 8:24 am
I have no experience with the Israeli school system but I have a lot of daughters and they all went through/are in Bnos Yaakov in Lakewood.

I'm really surprised at what you wrote about middos. That wasnt our experience at all. My dds always had really nice classmates, from really nice families. None of them ever had an issue with money or brand names and their classmates werent like that either. You're obviously a little older than my kids so I wonder if that changed.

Exclusivity/not getting in into schools is a huge issue in Lakewood in general and Bnos Yaakov in particular, that is true.

Rigidness and rules - I think that from all the local schools they are the worst with this. And it bothers me a lot. It's my one big regret for having sent my dds there.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 8:25 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
I have no experience with the Israeli school system but I have a lot of daughters and they all went through/are in Bnos Yaakov in Lakewood.

I'm really surprised at what you wrote about middos. That wasnt our experience at all. My dds always had really nice classmates, from really nice families. None of them ever had an issue with money or brand names and their classmates werent like that either. You're obviously a little older than my kids so I wonder if that changed.

Exclusivity/not getting in into schools is a huge issue in Lakewood in general and Bnos Yaakov in particular, that is true.

Rigidness and rules - I think that from all the local schools they are the worst with this. And it bothers me a lot. It's my one big regret for having sent my dds there.

We didn't grow up in Lakewood but my sister and I attended the same BY school. My whole grade had sweet, nice girls. Hers had quite a few bullies.

It depends on the class.

Rappel

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 8:37 am
Ora in town wrote:
Isn't there an obligation to teach general studies up to a certain age? Over here it's 15 or 16...

No, depending on how your school's registered. A Talmud Torah has no requirement to teach secular studies

Ora in town

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 8:53 am
Chayalle wrote:
I wonder which school system you went to after your move.

I have close relatives who made aliyah from Lakewood a few years ago, with a large and growing family. Some of their kids did very well with the move, but at least one did not make it in the Israeli school system. Going thru a rough time.

I've raised my girls in the Lakewood school system. Sure, every grade has a couple of fakers - girls who often fool even the staff into thinking they have great middos, while they bully their classmates. But B"H my girls have plenty of friends with great middos. I'm sorry for your experience, but I wouldn't call that universal here.

Also, I didn't insist on getting my kids into the most elite schools, and B"H we did not have a hard time with acceptance to high school. Oddly enough, "I'm much better than you" has never been a value I wanted to impart to my kids, anyway.

Honestly, I wish I lived in E"Y, but when my close relative made aliyah, my kids wanted reassurance that we weren't planning to spring that on them. I think if couples start out there and it works out for them, that's great (there were reasons why DH and I didn't, and we asked sheilos as an engaged couple about it) but telling people to uproot their family and move is risky and would not work for everyone. It has to involve alot of thought into each child and whether the move will be good for them.

That's true...
It depends on character, and on how well children integrate in school is, of courss, but I got the impression that late primary and middle school age were particularly delicate...

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 9:22 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
We didn't grow up in Lakewood but my sister and I attended the same BY school. My whole grade had sweet, nice girls. Hers had quite a few bullies.

It depends on the class.

That's true, but I have quite a few girls and they all went to the same school and had similar experiences. But it's possible it changed since she was there.

byisrael

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 9:50 am
Someone asked what system I went into
BY HaYashan Jerusalem - total chill compared Bnos Yaakov
Brothers went to Chevron type yeshiva's

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 10:00 am
byisrael wrote:

I just don’t think it’s fair to compare it to the “Lakewood system” when Bnos Yaakov is really not reflective of the whole Lakewood system.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 10:03 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
the thing is we don't live in Lakewood. My dh wouldn't feel comfortable there, or in Israel currently. Where would OOT's who aren't zionistic, aren't really MO, or Chareidi... want to live in a house vs an apartment, have lots of greenery and not live over the greenline live?

There's many moshavs that aren't over the green line that are wonderful to live in! Moshav Matisyahu I've heard amazing things about, in addition there's a new neighborhood/moshav opening by Rav Fischer that seems very your hashkafa type.

WitchKitty

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 10:03 am
byisrael wrote:

Chill? That's one of the best schools in Jlm, chareidi-wise.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 11:05 am
Aren't moshav matisyahu and mitzpe yericho both over the green line?

And wouldn't it be more acceptable for a Lakewood BY graduate to get a degree after HS than for a Yashan graduate?

Can you give examples of things that Yashan let you do that you couldn't do in Lakewood? Is it because the school is so much bigger than anything in the US (hundreds of girls per grade) or because of the hashkafa?

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 11:19 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Aren't moshav matisyahu and mitzpe yericho both over the green line?

I don't think so. There are right outside of Moddin which isn't over the green line.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 11:35 am
LovesHashem wrote:
I don't think so. There are right outside of Moddin which isn't over the green line.

Moshav Matutyahu is right outside of Modi’in within the Green Line. Mitzpe Yericho is far from there and is over the Green Line.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 11:53 am
Thats interesting 🤔 I am dying to get my kid into Bnos Yaakov. My friends and relatives kids love it there. I did tons of research never heard of anything you are describing. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 12:35 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
Moshav Matutyahu is right outside of Modi’in within the Green Line. Mitzpe Yericho is far from there and is over the Green Line.

Just looked at a map. Modiin is just inside the green line. Modiin ilit (Kiryat sefer) and matityahu are just outside it.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 2:52 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Thats interesting 🤔 I am dying to get my kid into Bnos Yaakov. My friends and relatives kids love it there. I did tons of research never heard of anything you are describing. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

They have you right where they want you.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 3:18 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Just looked at a map. Modiin is just inside the green line. Modiin ilit (Kiryat sefer) and matityahu are just outside it.

Good to know!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics