Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Canada- American weddings. What are people doing now?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 12:00 am
Borders are closed. What are families doing?

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 12:22 am
Weddings to be held in Canada are on hold. People have set new dates in August/September and are hoping for the best.
Weddings that were scheduled to be held in the USA have been taking place. The immediate families have been flying to Philadelphia and then driving to NY. They have all had to quarantine for 2 weeks upon returning home to Canada.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 12:27 am
My neice is engaged since july...was supposed to get married in canada tonite...chusen is american and cant cross border..wedding is postponed 😣😓

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 12:32 am
My sisters brother-in-law was suppose to get married lag baomer to a Canadian girl, in N.Y.. Kallas mom isn't a U.S. citizen. Wedding was postponed for after the summer.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 12:48 am
It’s not too hard to cross the border.
My friends chosson is from Canada. Just came back to the USA after 3 months and he had no problems. Was prepared to tell them was a student because he is in yeshiva.
Wedding is pushed off 3 months in hopes his parents can come.

I know another couple that pushed wedding 3 weeks. The Parents are coming in to USA for wedding from Canada hopefully. They were told they wouldn’t have trouble atbborder. Returning to Canada they will need to quarantine 2 weeks.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 2:27 am
I know a couple who were supposed to be married in Montreal, boy from Brooklyn. Kallah ended up coming to America with her patents, they made the wedding in New Jersey on Sunday.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 2:52 am
Flying into the US from Canada is possible. Wedding has to be in US. Canadians need to quarantine for two weeks when they get back to Canada. Quarantine isn’t easy but it’s better than not having a wedding. Some families making wedding outside NY because Canadians feel safer further from NY.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 6:15 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
My neice is engaged since july...was supposed to get married in canada tonite...chusen is american and cant cross border..wedding is postponed 😣😓

Same story here. My nephew was supposed to get married last week. His bride is in Canada and he's in the states. It's on hold for now.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 9:03 am
I'm confused. Why wouldn't they all just make the weddings in the states? Better to push off endlessly??

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 9:36 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
I'm confused. Why wouldn't they all just make the weddings in the states? Better to push off endlessly??

Because the border is closed and even if the bride manages to get in to the states, her family will not be able to come. If they already had to push it off, they just want to wait to be able to celebrate with their extended families.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 9:40 am
Most ppl want at a minimum their parents at their wedding.

doctorima

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 10:23 am
Getting into the US is not nearly as difficult as getting into Canada. Even if the driving borders are closed, international flights are still arriving to the US daily. So anybody who desperately wants to get in should be able to fly from Toronto, etc. And Canadian citizens should be able to drive/fly back without problems, though they will have to quarantine for 14 days - and Canada is really strict about this!

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 10:25 am
My sister's BIL just got married in BP. Her IL's are US citizens. There were no grandparents or aunts from her side, but chosson and parents didn't have a problem coming.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 10:30 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Flying into the US from Canada is possible. Wedding has to be in US. Canadians need to quarantine for two weeks when they get back to Canada. Quarantine isn’t easy but it’s better than not having a wedding. Some families making wedding outside NY because Canadians feel safer further from NY.

For many Canadian kallahs, it's a very difficult choice to have to make.
Get married in the US, far away from home, with just your parents (hopefully!) and then immediately return home to a two week quarantine with your brand new chassan.
Until this week, returning home wasn't even possible since the chassan would have been unable to enter Canada. This week, Ottawa announced an exemption for the spouse of a Canadian citizen/resident. I think more people might therefore take the leap and get married in the US.

giselle

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 11:08 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:

Since last July?

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 11:48 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
For many Canadian kallahs, it's a very difficult choice to have to make.
Get married in the US, far away from home, with just your parents (hopefully!) and then immediately return home to a two week quarantine with your brand new chassan.
Until this week, returning home wasn't even possible since the chassan would have been unable to enter Canada. This week, Ottawa announced an exemption for the spouse of a Canadian citizen/resident. I think more people might therefore take the leap and get married in the US.

Why do they have to go back to canada after the wedding? They can stay in the states and not have any quarantine to worry about. I understand it's a difficult choice but most people that got married between purim and pesach did so with a minimum number of people.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 11:50 am
Why do they have to go back to canada after the wedding? They can stay in the states and not have any quarantine to worry about. I understand it's a difficult choice but most people that got married between purim and pesach did so with a minimum number of people.

Maybe they have a job?

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 12:29 pm

That's what was with my Canadian in-laws. My sister-in-law married in U.S., U.S. wedding was the original plan tho. They came to N.Y. before borders were closed but there was a talk abt it already. Couldn't afford to quarantine for 2 weeks, before yt, so everyone stayed in U.S. for pesach. After that my in-laws and single siblings went home and quarantined. Newlywed stayed behind, chassan isn't Canadian. Tho she's a teacher, so she didn't need to be back. For the summer my in-laws anyway come to N.Y. for business purposes in which my freshly married sil is involved. Bh everyone was United last week 😃
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics