Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Is Cuomo Waiting For Shabbos To Announce Camp Cancelled?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 8:22 pm
Seriously, my kids and their friends are on an emotional roller coaster. So far the camps where they’re registered didn’t cancel and are saying that they’re still working on it and trying. Why is he waiting this long to announce his final decision. It’s not fair to get the kids so worked up and then say no. We’d be better off hearing the no a week or a month ago already and working on overcoming the loss. And yes for our kids it’s a LOSS. For the anti campers this thread is not for you. I’m tired of the arguments whether camp is important or a ticket to certain death ch”v. I just want to understand what’s taking this long to hear where we’re being this summer! It’s 2 weeks away for heavens sake! Is it possible he’s waiting for shabbos to announce it so that the Jews shouldn’t be able to throw eggs as he comes out of the conference?

DrMom

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 8:25 pm
I really doubt that was his thought process.

There are lots of kids in NY State who go to camp -- not just shomer Shabbat Jews.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 8:27 pm
DrMom wrote:

There are lots of kids in NY State who go to camp -- not just shomer Shabbat Jews.

I wasn’t being very serious about that, but what on earth is he waiting for?

chocolatecake

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 8:28 pm
DrMom wrote:

There are lots of kids in NY State who go to camp -- not just Jews.

I read somewhere - I think the letter from ohr chedva - that basically all camps in NY besides the frum ones already cancelled this summer and it’s jsut the frum camps still advocating for camps to open.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 8:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Seriously, my kids and their friends are on an emotional roller coaster. So far the camps where they’re registered didn’t cancel and are saying that they’re still working on it and trying. Why is he waiting this long to announce his final decision. It’s not fair to get the kids so worked up and then say no. We’d be better off hearing the no a week or a month ago already and working on overcoming the loss. And yes for our kids it’s a LOSS. For the anti campers this thread is not for you. I’m tired of the arguments whether camp is important or a ticket to certain death ch”v. I just want to understand what’s taking this long to hear where we’re being this summer! It’s 2 weeks away for heavens sake! Is it possible he’s waiting for shabbos to announce it so that the Jews shouldn’t be able to throw eggs as he comes out of the conference?

He did that with the special education programs announcing last friday evening that they can open for the summer so dont be surprised if he makes an announcement tomorrow night about camps. I think he gets a rise out of all of this as the power has gone to his head.

https://www.silive.com/news/20......html

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 8:34 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
He did that with the special education programs announcing last friday evening that they can open for the summer so dont be surprised if he makes an announcement tomorrow night about camps. I think he gets a rise out of all of this as the power has gone to his head.

Oh wow. I was halfway joking about shabbos but I might be onto something after all!!
I guess time will tell!

doctorima

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 9:01 pm
Politicians have a well-established practice of trying to drop unpopular items into the news late Friday, when they'll be buried as people get busy and distracted over the weekend. Whether or not Cuomo's thinking about our Shabbos restrictions, it's quite possible that he's waiting to announce it late tomorrow to minimize pushback and negative press.

mommyX2

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 1:35 am
I had the same thought that he's purposely going to put out the news on shabbos knowing we will not hear it right away!

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 5:51 am
Yes -- he is a true political creature.

elisheva25

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 6:38 am
Just clarifying, this is day camp or sleep away ?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 6:49 am
elisheva25 wrote:
Just clarifying, this is day camp or sleep away ?

Sleepaway. Daycamp was announced a week or 2 ago already that they can open June 29.

livinginisrael

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 8:26 am
My girls are registered to sternberg and weve been anxiously waiting to hear good news for weeks. at this point it doesn't look promising but I have no clue how we will manage without camp

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 11:20 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:

Wow I didn't know that special education programs can now open. I am so relieved! I hope all the programs really are opening.

tweety1

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 11:25 am
I won't be surprised if 2 days before camps are due to open he'll say they can open. He announced day camps are allowed to open unexpectedly too. He's too wacky for us to be able to figure him out.

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 11:43 am
livinginisrael wrote:
My girls are registered to sternberg and weve been anxiously waiting to hear good news for weeks. at this point it doesn't look promising but I have no clue how we will manage without camp

Mine too -
Sternberg and Mogen Av. We’ve started in backup plans for both which hopefully we won’t need.

cuties' mom

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 2:25 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Wow I didn't know that special education programs can now open. I am so relieved! I hope all the programs really are opening.

They probably aren't. Cuomo did not release any guidelines yet, so while schools want to reopen, they won't have time to find out and meet all the guidelines. Also, the chancellor doesn't want to open public schools which may block NYC private special ed schools from opening.

doctorima

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 2:28 pm
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/new.....9016/

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 12 2020, 2:46 pm
So he didn’t wait for shabbos... wow I’m sad!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sat, Jun 13 2020, 7:01 pm
cuties' mom wrote:
They probably aren't. Cuomo did not release any guidelines yet, so while schools want to reopen, they won't have time to find out and meet all the guidelines. Also, the chancellor doesn't want to open public schools which may block NYC private special ed schools from opening.

This. My child is in a special ed preschool under the NYC school system, and Cuomo has given districts permission to open, but not obligating them to. It's up to the school district to allow them to open, and as of yet, we haven't heard of that happening.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics