Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
It's Official - Overnight Camps Canceled 2020
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 6:08 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Don’t forget the outdoor drinking parties that went on in the city this weekend. Completely maskless.

Or the playgrounds that opened in non Jewish neighborhood where dozens of kids play right near each other. Completely maskless.

But of course it’s our school kids, in neighborhoods where many or most of residents have already caught the virus and are immune, who are causing all the evil in this world.

Can't Believe It

Forgive me if I care about the children in my own neighborhood more than adults who choose to get drunk.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 6:08 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Ema of 4, I see I cross posted with you. Agree with every word you wrote.

I was responding to someone else, and then I was going to write the same thing to you :-)

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 6:09 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Because there are many camps that ARE necessities, and for many kids camp IS a necessity, more this summer than any other summer.
Camp HASC
Camp Simcha
Chaveirim
Naale
I’m sure there are more, these are just 4 camps I can think of off the top of my head that take special needs campers. They are SO important to those families.

Sleep away camps are actually an ideal quarantine situation. Everyone will be required to be tested before coming to camp. Everyone will have temperature check upon getting to the destination, before going onto camp grounds. No camper or staff (or other family member) will be allowed in or out. Once someone leaves, they can not come back. All deliveries will be dropped at the gate, and will be brought into camp after the delivery is complete.
Did you know that people worked tirelessly to come up with a set of protocols that would make sleep away camps safe, great workable protocols. 15 pages worth. It wouldn’t have been just a haphazard thing. But it was all rejected late on a Friday afternoon....

So they should have lobbied for special needs camps to open. If that was all they requested they likely would have gotten permission.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 6:10 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Stop the idiotic comparisons.

As much as I support the fight against racism, I chose not to attend protests precisely because of the danger, even though they were all outdoors and most people wore masks (in all the photos and videos I saw, and when I looked out the window at the marchers.) It was a CHOICE I was able to make.

In contrast, no one wears masks to and from or INSIDE the doors of the illegal cheder/school, and pickup/dropoffs are through the single smallest, narrowest, and most hidden entrance the building has. I am forced by my children's schools to choose between bad options, when they could have made a small effort to focus just a bit on health and safety.

You CHOSE. So why not allow camps to open, following certain protocols, and then allow parents to CHOOSE.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 6:10 pm
And also - do you honestly believe that all camps would have followed those guidelines?

I don't.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 6:13 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
So they should have lobbied for special needs camps to open. If that was all they requested they likely would have gotten permission.

You so completely missed the point. Special needs aren’t the only ones that are a necessity, they are just SOME of the ones that are, perhaps a bigger necessity. For many kids, for many reasons, camp is a necessity.
And I doubt they would have made an exception for special needs kids. And what about the not so severe kids, who goes to a mainstream camp, but does so well there, and it really helps him/her for during the school year as well?

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 6:15 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Forgive me if I care about the children in my own neighborhood more than adults who choose to get drunk.

You missed the point. It’s not about who you care about more, it’s about the double standard and the city/state not caring about US.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 6:15 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
You so completely missed the point. Special needs aren’t the only ones that are a necessity, they are just SOME of the ones that are, perhaps a bigger necessity. For many kids, for many reasons, camp is a necessity.
And I doubt they would have made an exception for special needs kids. And what about the not so severe kids, who goes to a mainstream camp, but does so well there, and it really helps him/her for during the school year as well?

I didn't miss your point at all. But, you have to pick your battles wisely. And lobby for what's most important. Which in this case is for special needs camps so that their families get some much needed respite.

But yeah, the reason I missed your point is because you're not really interested in the special needs camps to open, it's just a way to futher your agenda so that your children can go. Maybe if people really did care about the bigger necessities, then some things would change.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 6:19 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
I didn't miss your point at all. But, you have to pick your battles wisely. And lobby for what's most important. Which in this case is for special needs camps so that their families get some much needed respite.

And anyway, why is camp a bigger necessity than school? Why is everyone pushing for camp more than for school?

It should be called respite care rather than camp so that maybe it has a chance.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 6:28 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:

But yeah, the reason I missed your point is because you're not really interested in the special needs camps to open, it's just a way to futher your agenda so that your children can go. Maybe if people really did care about the bigger necessities, then some things would change.

True.
Lobbying to open camps for a few hundred campers, rather than a few thousand would've had a better chance. Especially since these are camps that naturally have small groupings and higher counselor to camper ratio, plus are way more on top of medical needs and already have an extensive medical staff.
In general, states that closed schools and were planning to do remote summer programs only ended up allowing things to open up more for special ed students.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 6:32 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:

Really? Do you know anything about my children, siblings, other families? I have no agenda here. Nice try though.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 6:38 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
You CHOSE. So why not allow camps to open, following certain protocols, and then allow parents to CHOOSE.

I was responding to the situation in the schools, not camp.

And no... It's not really much of a choice for boys in certain mosdos. The learning program continues and they have to participate or else they fall behind.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 6:51 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I was responding to the situation in the schools, not camp.

And no... It's not really much of a choice for boys in certain mosdos. The learning program continues and they have to participate or else they fall behind.

You said you CHOSE not to go to a rally or protest. I understand that many yeshivos are not giving parents much choice right now. I can’t really talk about that, as I have no experience with it.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 7:13 pm
as a parent of a special needs child who's been involved in fighting for the ability to reinstate visitation to group homes, I have a secret to share: The governor could not care less about the special needs community. He absolutely does. not. give. a hoot.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 7:15 pm
Raisin wrote:
Well, this is a creative solution.

https://collive.com/cgi-parksv.....tion/

The camps for bochurim are planning to run as day camps, and figure out housing for the bochurim who don't have where to stay in the catskills.

or theyre moving to Pennsylvania.

Zehava

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 7:34 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
The camps for bochurim are planning to run as day camps, and figure out housing for the bochurim who don't have where to stay in the catskills.

or theyre moving to Pennsylvania.

The girls are being in PA

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 7:38 pm
I heard that some camps will be opening as orphanages. Why any parent would sign away their rights to the child for the sake of camp is beyond me, but that's another option on the table.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 7:39 pm
And a SN kids organization (don't want to mention which one) will be going as a "family" to a bungalow colony ... which provides food and a program....

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 7:44 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I heard that some camps will be opening as orphanages. Why any parent would sign away their rights to the child for the sake of camp is beyond me, but that's another option on the table.

Will it be antisemitism if the State closes down these places?

soap suds

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 8:11 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Sorry but getting the virus and spreading it a whole lot more dangerous than being home and bored. Going nuts? Work on yourself. Being with your kids shouldn’t get you nuts.

That’s just it. It’s not about the virus anymore! Do you really think there’s a single parent here who would willingly put their own children at risk?

The only reason we were lobbying for camps to open is because THERE IS NO RISK. We have infectious disease experts to back us up.

It’s condescending and offensive for you to imply that parents would risk their kids’ health for their own convenience.
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics