Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Can 19 yo get unemployment for canceled summer job?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 13 2020, 10:41 pm
DS was supposed to make a few thousand dollars working at a summer camp which Cuomo just canceled. Can he apply for unemployment and if so, how?
Thanks

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Jun 13 2020, 10:57 pm
No. You need 20 weeks of prior employment to qualify. (NY)

hello12341

Post Sat, Jun 13 2020, 11:00 pm
I don't see why not. He should be eligible for PUA.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 13 2020, 11:01 pm
So anyone who works at a camp (chef, director, etc) isn’t eligible for unemployment?

monkeymamma

Post Sat, Jun 13 2020, 11:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
DS was supposed to make a few thousand dollars working at a summer camp which Cuomo just canceled. Can he apply for unemployment and if so, how?
Thanks

He can apply for this program then sue for discrimination if he doesnt get accepted-- https://www.timeout.com/new-yo.....79011

amother
Coral

Post Sat, Jun 13 2020, 11:07 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
No. You need 20 weeks of prior employment to qualify. (NY)

Totally untrue. Those are regulations from before COVID19. PUA covers employees whose places of employment are shut due to COVID.

amother
Coral

Post Sat, Jun 13 2020, 11:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So anyone who works at a camp (chef, director, etc) isn’t eligible for unemployment?

They are. You need to show you've worked there in the past or a contract showing you were hired and what the start date would have been.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 13 2020, 11:18 pm
Okay it seems he’s eligible under PUA. The application sites appear to be state specific. Does he apply on the N.Y. website (where the camp is) or the state he actually resides in?

amother
Coral

Post Sat, Jun 13 2020, 11:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Okay it seems he’s eligible under PUA. The application sites appear to be state specific. Does he apply on the N.Y. website (where the camp is) or the state he actually resides in?

Million dollar question...please post when you find out.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 12:06 am
Interesting, this may work for my dd that was supposed to have a summer job that is cancelled. Question on the PUA, is there an income minimum? Like if she was only making $72 a month and the place shut down for the past few months, is she eligible for anything?

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 12:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Unemployment is from the state the job was in.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 12:20 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Interesting, this may work for my dd that was supposed to have a summer job that is cancelled. Question on the PUA, is there an income minimum? Like if she was only making $72 a month and the place shut down for the past few months, is she eligible for anything?

It doesn't matter the amount. The minimum payout is $231, even if she stood to make less than that. Plus the $600 per week through July.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 12:24 am
Can I still file back from something that happened starting in March? And how do I file for the lost summer job where she was set to be making more money. So sorry that I didn't think to do this back in March Sad

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 1:05 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
It doesn't matter the amount. The minimum payout is $231, even if she stood to make less than that. Plus the $600 per week through July.

Where do u take that from? Is it state specific?
We get only $182 a week in NY .

yidisheh mama

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 1:12 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Where do u take that from? Is it state specific?
We get only $182 a week in NY .

182 is the self-employed minimum.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 3:00 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:

Does anyone know if I can apply now for PUA for a cancelled camp job or if I have to wait for the date the contract was supposed to begin? The camp is in NY if that makes a difference.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 4:41 pm
Monkeymomma, that website on the stipend for NY youth will only include kids from the inner city and worst areas of N.Y., such as South Bronx, Bedford Sty, Harlem. It's not meant for "us".
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics