Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Did anyone watch House last night??

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 7:41 am
It had a newly wed Hassidic jewish couple..

It was incredible... I like it when writers put hassidic jews in a good positive light Smile

Other than a couple of weird things where, hello she was bleeding he should not have been touching her.. it was good.

ss321

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 7:54 am
Mitzvahmom wrote:
It had a newly wed Hassidic jewish couple..

It was incredible... I like it when writers put hassidic jews in a good positive light Smile

Other than a couple of weird things where, hello she was bleeding he should not have been touching her.. it was good.

lol agreed, it was pretty good. I rarely get to watch an episode in its entirety, but last night I got to sit and relax that whole time...
I tought the bringing the candles close to her face after aishes chayil was wierd, not sure what that was about, but the bleeding thing - it wasnt uterine blood they established that right away, it was blood in her urine, therefore not dam niddah. im no posek, but im pretty sure that if youre 100% sure of the source (like in this case, where you have real medical proof), then its not a safek. correct me if im wrong though....

amother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 8:44 am
I didn't think they did a good job with the Chasidic couple at all. They didn't look Chasidic. Since when does a Chasidic woman let some of her hair show and wear a scarf that way? I don't think she would've had a V neck either; she probably would've worn something over or under the hospital gown. Even the man didn't look authentic. It was weird the way they portrayed a Chasidic man at the onset of Shabbos, without his hat and jacket, no Kabalas Shabbos davening.

I didn't understand how the Jewish doctor suddenly became enamored with them. Just because the Chasidic man told him that he should love his wife more (as opposed to "the same as the day I married her").

I thought the whole thing was awkwardly done.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 9:01 am
amother wrote:
It was weird the way they portrayed a Chasidic man at the onset of Shabbos, without his hat and jacket, no Kabalas Shabbos davening.
It's a tv show, not a documentary. They don't need to include the davening. Also, didn't they fake Shabbos in the first place, to save her life? As far as the hat, did you think he went home?

Your complaint reminds me of criticism I read online of the "Monica infertile" storyline on friends. Infertile women claimed it wasn't medically accurate. It's a sit-com, it doesn't have to medically accurate. That makes for boring tv. Same with including a davening scene last night on "House," for the sake of educating about Chossids. They're entertaining, not educating.

I thought it was a fun episode.

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 9:18 am
of course it was not perfect...

But it was pretty close, and well done.. Obviously the man had a fake beard...

Was nice to hear for 38 year old woman getting married to her beshert, and he stayed by her side.

Why is it so bad that a secular jew is touched by the love of two that have just gotten married after knowing each other for a short time. Isn't that part of going out into the world, to touch others that are not frum so they can get a glympse of the beauty we see daily?

Anyway, for TV they did a decent job portraying things.

alti

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 9:52 am
I disagree- since when is accurate boring???? It can be interestind AND accurate- it was not-
But it was good- and Dr. house is my favorite tv character- he is smart, witty and oh so sharp

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 10:07 am
and pronounced aishes chayil correctly Smile

amother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 10:10 am
I love House!

I liked when the doctors were gossiping to each other while they were treating her, she says "Please, no Loshon Hara!"

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 10:21 am
wow - I think I wanna be a chossid now ... Nervous

did any of you realize she was also portrayed as a "BT recently off heroine" ... Drunken Smile

amother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 10:50 am
amother wrote:
I liked when the doctors were gossiping to each other while they were treating her, she says "Please, no Loshon Hara!"

Then she outs the bisexual doctor!

amother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 10:53 am
alti wrote:
I disagree- since when is accurate boring???? It can be interestind AND accurate- it was not-
So what are you saying, that they really should have taken a minute away from some part of the show to show the husband davening? Because that's so integral to the story? Because audience members are going to be so inspired by seeing him daven that they'll all want to know about Orthodox Judaism? You wouldn't believe how much medical and other stuff is cut short or inaccurate for the sake of tv. There was once an article about the absolute absurdity of the medical stuff on "House." You know why so much of it is absurd or inaccurate? It's a tv show! With a limited amount of time and lots of non-essentials to throw away to make room for the banter.

Do you really think America will be so fascinated to know that he suddenly has a hat on? Or do you think they should have taken five minutes away from the show to show him going home to get his hat, returning and davening? Not exactly a ratings-booster.

cindy324

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 3:09 pm
Gotta love Dr. House, he cracks me up!

Yes, and it IS JUST a TV show, no need to nitpick about details!

waterbottle

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 3:01 pm
So I live and work in a place where people have never met frum Jews. No one knows I wear a sheitel everyday and no one has put together that I'm dressed tznius everyday. Anyway, my co-worker commented about the house episode and was like "I can't believe there are people like that, I mean they even had separate sides at their wedding?"
and I say "I had separate dancing at my wedding... but people sat mixed"
she says "with a wall?"
me, "yes with a wall"
Anyway, it shows how people could have frum Jews right in front of them and not notice until they see it on national TV. I mean they do think my kashrus is the strangest thing but they kind have accepted it at this point, even though they still offer me food all the time. OY

amother

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 3:30 pm
I didnt see the episode but the reactions that people have remind me of a different show two weeks ago that I couldnt stop laughing.
It was on Law & Order SVU (special victims unit). All the chassidishe men looked like Amish. Their yiddish was german. The main thing that bothered me however was the message that in the Jewish world, in order for a chasid to have a girlfriend without anyone knowing he needs to be known as a pedophile. I'll explain for those who haven't seen the show:
There was a boy that came to school and police had to be called because he was being abused by someone. His mother divorced the boys father became he became a zealot and was always busy with his Rabbi. The father had a tutor who would tutor his son. The detective on this case understood that the tutor was a pedophile. He followed him one day because he saw the tutor walking with a different boy into an apartment. When the detective walked in he saw this tutor standing over someone, and when he pulled him away he saw it was the secretary from the Talmud Torah where he originally questioned the tutor. That was when this tutor explained that in order to have an illegal relationship with a female in the jewish world, it's better to be known as a pedophile because otherwise he would be shunned.
(I hope I didnt lose anyone)
THATS what bothered me the most. Why give over such a message?
Other than that, it was a great episode. Can't wait until next week to see the episode of house you're talking about.

square_peg

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 3:39 pm
They must have jewish screenwriters. In quite a few episodes they throw in some yiddish words, liek bashert (the first episode in the current season)

my fave line in the episode discussed is "How's our mental yental doing?"
lol

baba

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 5:09 am
Either writer or producer is for sure Jewish. I remember a I read an article on aish a long time ago and the writer was talking about his non frum brother who is a producer/writer (cant remember which) on House. So not only is one of them Jewish, but he's also very familiar with the frum world.

bashinda

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 7:30 pm
Mitzvahmom wrote:
and pronounced aishes chayil correctly Smile

Hugh Laurie pronounced aishes chayil correctly??? Very nice! 

(I never watched the show but I used to watch british tv in the past)

It would be nice if some yidden started doing more mitzvos as a result.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 3:39 pm
Lisa Edelstein, who plays Dr. Cuddy, is Jewish, and she claims that one set of her grandparents were religous. So I guess she could have taught Hugh Laurie Aishes Chayil!

ihyphenated

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 1:00 am
LOL! the week after our wedding we were grabbing a bite to eat at jeff's sausage factory in LA and we met the writer who wrote that episode! my husband was soooo excited. She told us that episode 12 of house was going to be about frum jews! and lo and behold (our wedding was in november) a few months later there it was! the frum jews episode.... so coool....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics