Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Beijing has a new outbreak; is this our new normal?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 9:01 am
So Beijing has a new outbreak and closed down markets and an area is on lockdown. Is this our new normal? Will we always have to keep in mind that outbreaks and new waves will come and we’ll be stuck in our homes again?

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 9:08 am
Hopefully a vaccine and better medical treatment is going to change the dismal reality but for some businesses, the change may come too late.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 12:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So Beijing has a new outbreak and closed down markets and an area is on lockdown. Is this our new normal? Will we always have to keep in mind that outbreaks and new waves will come and we’ll be stuck in our homes again?
Yes, I do think this is the new normal, at least until a vaccine is found and people start taking it. Before that happens, the virus is just flowing from place to place to place back to places it already was etc. Its far from gone Sad

Stars

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 12:12 pm
I'm pro Vax but why is everyone so hooked on a vaccine? It can take decades for a vaccine to eradicate a virus.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 12:21 pm
Stars wrote:
I'm pro Vax but why is everyone so hooked on a vaccine? It can take decades for a vaccine to eradicate a virus.

Are there any better solutions? I am trying to be open minded.

asmileaday

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 12:23 pm
Stars wrote:

Same. I'd also worry that they were too hasty in getting any vaccine onto the market that proper precautions may have been loosened.
I don't get this whole hangup on waiting to resume our lives based on a vaccine.

keym

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 12:27 pm
You know I keep hearing about finding a vaccine, but I'm hearing way less about finding therapeutics.
The flu has the flu shot that each season is between 10-70% effective. But the flu also has Tamiflu. Yes it's strong. Yes it has many side effects. But it tremendously lowers the negative effects of the flu especially for higher risk individuals.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 12:53 pm
We need herd immunity or a treatment. Illnesses are a part of life. The vulnerable should take precautions, and everyone else should get on with life. This virus is far from the most dangerous illness. And this is not the first time a virus spread far and wide. The media and the mass hysteria are OUT OF CONTROL! We live in such a sterile environment that we are afraid to get sick. Getting sick makes most people stronger. Finding a vaccine for a every little thing is not the answer. They cause other problems too such as people not taking precautions because they have false security and the vaccine wears off and noone knows. We are told that antibodies don't mean anything and then the media and drs are binging the reopening of society on finding a vaccine that gives.....antibodies. but for how long? They don't know because they don't have time to do a longitudinal study. Also, it can cause the bug to mutate to something stronger that can't be treated.
Another point to make, we have effective treatments for this ( obviously not 💯 of the time). Oxygen, fluids, vitamins c and d, zinc, hydroxycloroqyine, remdesivir, steroids. These are all things that were not given to patients during early signs of the illness. Despite people begging for them.
History will not be kind to the response to this pandemic.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 12:54 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Same. I'd also worry that they were too hasty in getting any vaccine onto the market that proper precautions may have been loosened.
I don't get this whole hangup on waiting to resume our lives based on a vaccine.

I hear. But this new normal should include SD and masks.
When it doesn't people who care about their health can't go anywhere.

I would go to so many more places and really resume my life if I saw others were taking the same precautions.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 12:55 pm
keym wrote:
You know I keep hearing about finding a vaccine, but I'm hearing way less about finding therapeutics.
The flu has the flu shot that each season is between 10-70% effective. But the flu also has Tamiflu. Yes it's strong. Yes it has many side effects. But it tremendously lowers the negative effects of the flu especially for higher risk individuals.

I did read about different drugs, both old and new, being tested, but you're right that vaccines are talked about a lot more.

If Covid doesn't mutate as quickly as the flu, the vaccine will be far more effective. The question I'm still wondering is how long immunity lasts, from the vaccine or the disease itself.

Just One

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 1:01 pm
This is just proof that the strategies of mass lockdowns and quarantine is unsustainable. Yes to common sense strategies like hand washing and masks but otherwise it's time for life to go on

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 1:05 pm
One of the problems in minority communities is that often there are 4 generations in one apartment and the young, healthy, working, socially active millennials are transmitting the virus to their elders. This is what the fear is about the cases that will result from the mass protests; that the young will barely notice the virus until they have to call the ambulance to pick up great grandma who is 70+.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 1:09 pm
Just One wrote:
This is just proof that the strategies of mass lockdowns and quarantine is unsustainable. Yes to common sense strategies like hand washing and masks but otherwise it's time for life to go on

You have to hope that it can go on. If it makes people sick, they will try to avoid those things if possible.

Just One

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 1:14 pm
southernbubby wrote:
You have to hope that it can go on. If it makes people sick, they will try to avoid those things if possible.

There will inevitably be some disruption but government enforced lockdowns and quarantines exacerbate it many times over

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 1:18 pm
I find it fascinating that none of you are questioning *why* the vaccine narrative is the only one we are hearing.

It seems more common sense to focus on cures and treatment so why the vaccine? Don't you wonder?

Just One

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 1:32 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
I find it fascinating that none of you are questioning *why* the vaccine narrative is the only one we are hearing.

It seems more common sense to focus on cures and treatment so why the vaccine? Don't you wonder?

I've been hearing a lot about treatments such as remdesivir and hydroxychloroquine. Most of the political hoopla has actually been around treatments rather than vaccines.
But honestly a vaccine is a much more long term solution so I can see why that would be the best great hope of the masses.
Though I think big pharma would do best financially by pushing off the vaccine and raking it in with thereputics. Vaccines are usually a one time dose per person and generally don't cost more than medications

imasoftov

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 1:33 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:

"Well, first of all become a doctor and discover a marvelous cure for something, and then, when the medical world really starts to take notice of you, you can jolly well tell them what to do and make sure they get everything right so there'll never be diseases any more" - Monty Python, How to do it

Just One

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 1:39 pm
imasoftov wrote:
"Well, first of all become a doctor and discover a marvelous cure for something, and then, when the medical world really starts to take notice of you, you can jolly well tell them what to do and make sure they get everything right so there'll never be diseases any more" - Monty Python, How to do it

No need to shut down honest conversation. It's not only bona fide professionals who can do research and have a valid opinion

Amarante

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 1:41 pm
Stars wrote:

Because short of infecting the entire population - with unknown consequences - there is no way to provide herd immunity as well as specific immunity to those who are at particularly high risk.

From what I have read, there are people who are considered to be low risk who are suffering some severe long term side effects and there are also some diseases which were considered relatively benign like chicken pox which reappear in later years with severe side effects - e.g. shingles.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 1:58 pm
Just One wrote:
No need to shut down honest conversation. It's not only bona fide professionals who can do research and have a valid opinion

The snark will continue until the research is posted.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics