Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
8/9 month old menu

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 11:11 am
Hi, my baby is almost 9 months and has quite an appetite. He is nursing every four hours (at night as well). I started him on solids at 6 months, going the baby-led-weaning route with his first food being avocado.
He seems to be sensitive (broke out after eating eggs, multiple dirty diapers daily and at night) so I’m trying to figure out what are the safest, healthiest foods for a baby that age. Any ideas? And how much should he be eating? He likes to eat but I don’t know how much is too much.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:41 pm
Bump Smile

Cheshire cat

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:47 pm
My baby is this age. He always enjoys the cooked, mashed vegetables from the chicken soup.

Mashed banana is another favorite.

Oatmeal mixed with applesauce for sweetness.

I also feed him small pieces of soft bread dipped in yogurt, but if your baby is sensitive, then perhaps stay away from dairy.

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:48 pm
potato-carrot-soup (just boil about same quantity of potatoes and carrots with a bit of salt, till soft, drain most of water, blend so that it is more or less solid)
that was my staple...
then you can try the same soup and add zucchini... equal portions potatoes, carrots, zucchini...
pumpkin works too... with 1-2 potatoes...
oat-banana (soak oats in milk, squash banana in)
applesauce (homemade)
rice (careful, could constipate)
chicken cutlets
white fish
bread should be OK too...
And then you start just to share meals with what you eat... have them try things out, even if they spit it out the first time...

Avocado is very fat, so I don't think it's a good idea to start...

TravelHearter

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 9:00 pm
Starchy vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes, zucchini, etc. are great
In terms of amounts, my pediatrician says to give them whatever they want to eat, I.e. give them food as long as they want more (if they still open their mouth)

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 9:00 pm
My DD went INSANE over sweet potatoes! She would only eat sweet potatoes for about a month or two straight, nothing else. With a little persistence, and constantly putting one or two new foods on her tray, she eventually tried other things and became a good eater.

I'm a big fan of those Nuk mesh feeders, where the baby can suck on the juice of the fruit or vegetable in the bag, without any risk of choking on the fiber or seeds. They are a great way to expose your baby to new tastes (just use a bib, because they can be messy.)

As long as you are still nursing, your baby is getting plenty of nutrition. At this stage, the idea of food is more for fun and exploration. Give your child an exiting relationship with food, and you'll have a much less picky toddler later on.

(If you aren't doing this already, put a shower curtain under the high chair. It makes cleanup a lot easier. Even easier, get a small dog and name it Roomba! LOL )

avrahamama

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 9:13 pm
My baby same age grabs whatever I'm eating out of my hand and goes to town with his two little teeth. He ate half a peanut butter sandwich. I watched in awe and admiration. BH no allergies so far.

But he loves frittatas, salmon, pasta, ground meat kabobs, schnitzel . I would break it this into manageable pieces for a baby.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 9:31 pm
My 9 month old gets whatever we're eating broken into smaller pieces
Cheerios and fruit for breakfast
Grilled cheese, pizza, pancakes, pb sandwich, bagel and cream cheese... for lunch
Meatballs, schnitzel, salmon, chulent for supper
And whatever sides we're having mashed up
Babies that age love being part of the meal. She also loves feeding herself whenever possible, which I try to allow, despite the mess

mig100

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 9:42 pm
Chicken cutlets are not too dry? I see it mentioned above and I thought it was

Cheshire cat

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 10:11 pm
Awesome!

To the women above, whose babies eat regular table food, do they have teeth yet?

Mine doesn't, and when I want to share my plate, I need to pre- chew the food a bit, so he can handle it. Otherwise , he gets stuck with a clump of pizza or chicken against the roof of his mouth.

avrahamama

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 10:14 pm
mig100 wrote:
Chicken cutlets are not too dry? I see it mentioned above and I thought it was

I never would have dreamed to give it to him... His brother left it on the floor and he found it. I caught him in the act. He was really enjoying! With his two little teeth...

My schnitzel are sliced veeerry thin and fried so they are kind of juicy.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 10:21 pm
Yes, my baby does have two little teeth on the bottom. But their gums are pretty strong at this age - if you cut the pieces up small and push everything a little with the back of a spoon - enough to smush it, but that it won't fall apart - they should be able to chew at this point.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 10:41 pm
My baby does not have teeth yet but I agree the gums are very strong and he can really eat anything. My question was more for health/easy to digest as opposed to what he can technically eat.

avrahamama

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 10:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My baby does not have teeth yet but I agree the gums are very strong and he can really eat anything. My question was more for health/easy to digest as opposed to what he can technically eat.

I take it easy on the dairy. I find that as soon as I introduce dairy they start to get constipated. Everything else is great.

Avocados have good fats and are just a nice wholesome food for baby.

Most of the eating they do at this age is for play. As long as baby is still nursing or taking a bottle, that's where most of their nutrition is still coming from till a year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics