Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Floor vs carpet looking for ideas

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 11:15 am
My kids are under 6 and I need to move out of my tiny rented apartment. We are looking at an apartment that just was redone, nice and big enough for our growing family. However. I'm very disappointed that it has carpet on the steps, playroom and bedrooms. They just actually replaced the carpet. Most what we looked at has carpet in the bedroom. We are coming from hard wood floors and I found it much better. For several summer I rented a summer rental with carpet and this is what I found. Baby spit up was not so easy to wipe up. Kid throw up was a disaster. How about a 3 year old that hid behind his bed and had an accident there. These things don't happen eveday but I went nuts when it did. In my appartment end of March I was sick with Corona virus. That shabbos morning My kids took their cereal, and cocoa and mushed it into the floor while I was resting,I was so sick and bou was that a job to clean up. This never ever happened before and I hope it never does but what if. The baby with reflux did happen alot. What do you guys think? Are you happy with your carpet. Do you find it practical? Guy seems to want to rent to us and told us to let him know if there is anything we need? As renters is there something we could do? Would it make sense to buy linoleum and put it over the carpet? Buy big area rugs and put it over?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 11:32 am
You can definitely pre-plan by buying carpet cleaners. But your idea of using inexpensive big rugs over high traffic areas sounds best. You can clean it in case of an accident. Or throw it out if the stains don't come out. Yes I like hardwood better but carpets are nice for feet in the morning and for little ones to play on. Unfortunately you need to rip out the carpet first in order to put linoleum down. If it's the right space and price for you, go for it.

Wife1

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 11:37 am
Carpet is gross! Buy cheap linoleum and put it on top, you'll be much calmer when your kids make a mess

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 11:52 am
Wife1 wrote:
Carpet is gross! Buy cheap linoleum and put it on top, you'll be much calmer when your kids make a mess

Can it be possible

Amarante

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 12:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can it be possible

You can’t put solid flooring over carpet.

As others have posted, you can put area rugs and runners over carpet and have them periodically cleaned. However, you can also steam clean carpets frequently either with a professional or renting equipment. There is probably relatively inexpensive carpet cleaners which aren’t as effective as the professional style but you can use for weekly maintenance.

And I agree that carpets are much harder to keep clean than solid surface flooring. If I were a landlord, I think it is penny wise and pound foolish to install carpets versus hard flooring because they wild last longer. However, I suspect most landlords just use deposits because cheap carpets are less expensive than solid floors.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 12:35 pm
http://www.skywaymom.com/best-.....rpet/
http://www.skywaymom.com/best-.....rt-2/
An idea of how to put temporary flooring over carpet.

Another idea (more work, first need to put down wood, then laminate floor over):
https://messymom.com/2013/10/h.....html/

silverlining3

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 2:37 pm
Honestly, if anything, carpet only in master. (Tho my babies so far weren't reflux babies). Rest is simply not ideal! Is the apt you're looking at a rental? Cuz if yes you gotta ask landlord permission to rip it out. We looked at such an apt and landlord was willing to negotiate rent price but chas vashalom ripping out carpet. His reason, he lives downstairs and can't tolerate the noise. We didn't take it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating