Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Men exercising in chareidi areas
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 2:29 pm
Would it be acceptable for a man to go running or bike riding in a chareidi area wearing shorts and a t-shirt?

Would people be just surprised/look at him funny, or would it genuinely upset them?

(Trying to think of where to live and this is something that would be important to my husband--to be able to go running without ruffling feathers)

Success10

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 2:35 pm
Not acceptable, no. We have an exercise bike on the mirpeset, and dh goes out of the neighborhood to play sports. Maybe this would fly in RBS A, but only if your kids are in certain schools.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 2:39 pm
Thanks. That's what we thought... Though we were hoping otherwise.

What is the problem other than it being not habitually done? Maybe if I understood it would be easier to accept.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 2:41 pm
Success10 how does your husband go out of the neighborhood to play? Does he play in regular pants/shirt etc or change at his destination, or is he seen in the neighborhood in workout clothes?

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 2:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Would it be acceptable for a man to go running or bike riding in a chareidi area wearing shorts and a t-shirt?

Would people be just surprised/look at him funny, or would it genuinely upset them?

(Trying to think of where to live and this is something that would be important to my husband--to be able to go running without ruffling feathers)

My husband used to run in his hat and jacket. I never understood it but it made him comfortable.

Success10

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 2:45 pm
The shorts and tee shirt would be a big issue, but all sporting things are looked down upon for men and boys over a certain age. It's an Israeli Chareidi nuance that I'm sure has a good reason. It might stem from the fear of secular culture, and the outside association with sports. It is acceptable for boys and men to exercise in separate gyms, pools and chugim for the Chareidi sector. There are some secret basketball clubs for American men as well. I would assume though that they are dressed more or less Yeshivish even during exercise.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 2:46 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
My husband used to run in his hat and jacket. I never understood it but it made him comfortable.

Wow. I'm not much a runner myself but that sounds hard. Though I kind of get why he would do it.

Success10

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 2:46 pm
My husband leaves the neighborhood in his white shirt and black pants. He takes his big bag of stuff with him and doesn't wear a hat to go to the car, that makes me insecure as it is.

Success10

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 2:47 pm
notshanarishona wrote:

Hat and jacket? really? wow.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 3:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Do you mean that your DH lives in this area (and is part of this community?), or that his running route would just take him through such a neighborhood?

My take: I would think your DH could wear what ever you want in public. If it's not up to the local standards, they'll probably just assume you are an outsider and leave you alone. At least that's what I think *should* happen.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 3:29 pm
DrMom wrote:
Do you mean that your DH lives in this area (and is part of this community?), or that his running route would just take him through such a neighborhood?

My take: I would think your DH could wear what ever you want in public. If it's not up to the local standards, they'll probably just assume you are an outsider and leave you alone. At least that's what I think *should* happen.

I mean living there. And just feeling socially uncomfortable doing what he wants to do.

(He doesn't normally wear t-shirt and shorts, only when he runs.)

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 3:37 pm
DH rides his bike around the neighborhood. He wears a helmet (duh) white shirt and black pants. He tucks in his tzitzis to protect them. He usually plays a pickup game of ultimate frisbee in Jerusalem Friday mornings. He puts his shorts on under his pants.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 4:01 pm
I dont know. I have seen many exercisers in some charedi neighborhoods. Not talking about in tshirts and shorts, but not talking about in hats and jacket. In sweats and a tshirt.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 4:06 pm
I live in a mostly chareidi neighbourhood, with some Dati Leumi families. I know one of them where the husband goes running wearing shorts and t-shirt. But these are shorts down to his knees, and a fairly modest t-shirt, not short shorts and a sleeveless shirt. Sometimes he goes out of the neighbourhood, and then he might wear less.

He is the only one I know personally, but I've seen a few others around. The mostly run fairly late, so it is not too obvious. I don't pay much attention to that they wear, but all variations on t-shirt and shorts/trousers.

heidi

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 4:06 pm
I have seen charedi men walking for exercise in white shirts and black pants.
In the charedi neighborhood I know well there are no basketball courts or soccer fields. At all.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 4:13 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I dont know. I have seen many exercisers in some charedi neighborhoods. Not talking about in tshirts and shorts, but not talking about in hats and jacket. In sweats and a tshirt.

This talk about exercising in hats and jackets doesn't make any sense.
I live in a very charedi area in Yerushalayim, my husband is in kollel and he always goes out without a hat and jacket unless he's going to daven. He's too hot otherwise.

So while I can't comment on the exercise part since it isn't something I have taken note of, I can assure you that wearing a hat and jacket at all times is not expected. Many (maybe even most) will do it, but no unwritten rule that you're an anomaly if you don't.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 4:15 pm
DH only goes out in a hat if he may need a minyan. Otherwise it’s annoying and hot. In general he wears a jacket. This seems to be the norm over here.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:14 am
Oh man. I should hope hat and jacket is not required because my husband never dresses that way... He wears button-down shirts and pants in conservative colors but not black/white, does black/white and hat (and sirtuk) only on Shabbos. I actually already ran this by people I know who live in the neighbourhood, and I was told that it's totally fine, that the yeshivah students or kollel guys might wear black/white all the time but there are also people who work as plumbers etc. and they dress accordingly. So... not sure if that changes anything. But back to the exercising: Do I understand that it might be okay to wear more comfortable clothes but that it would depend on the specifics--maybe long pants instead of shorts, even if they are also not actual dress pants, would be okay? He is already wearing a t-shirt with sleeves--not sleeveless. My husband's concern is comfort. He doesn't want to just take a little stroll but really work up a sweat running or bike riding. Sometimes he would run late at night, but for biking he'd actually like to bike to his job or back (1.5 hours... there's a shower where he works so then he'd shower and change into his more normal daily clothes). So that would be during daylight hours when people are out and about. Thanks, I appreciate any input! Trying to get a sense of what might be before mentioning this to the people I know.

Success10

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:28 am
If he is not wearing black and white on a daily basis, then he won't fit in most mainstream chareidi neighborhoods. Possibly could work in parts of RBSA or Har Nof, but you probably would not be sending your kids to mainstream chareidi schools. In those neighborhoods, riding a bike or wearing sweats probably wouldn't be such a big deal either. But again, in a mainstream chareidi neighborhood it will not fly.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 4:08 am
how can this be?

I am talking about Beitar... Is my information wrong? That's pretty mainstream Chareidi isn't it
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions