Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Share your worst customer stories
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 7:27 pm
Edit: please share your stories as a store owner or worker. This is not a thread for customers to complain- you have plenty of threads for that. I’m really looking commiserate and for support with fellow business owners.

Most of my customers are sweet pleasant people who give me a reason to treat them well. Some - bH few- are downright obnoxious who make me want to cry. Literally.

Like the one that asked for a full refund on a final sale item 3 weeks after purchase and threatened to defame me to all her friends (her words not mine) if I didn’t refund her... Can't Believe It

On the other thread so many people were bashing Frum store owners- but did you stop to think about the flip side? We’re people too....

I deal with a specific item (not clothing) and I custom design my products. So coming into my store and saying, “so little options?” And “wow people actually buy this!!” and “why can’t you give me a discount?” is quite personal. And when you come late to your appointment after driving me crazy for that hectic inconvenient time without apologizing you are literally stealing my time....

Anyway share your stories.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 7:35 pm
Everyone thinks the big box stores have better customer service. The woman processing my return at Target in Brick threw her handheld scanner at me because I asked too many questions about where to find my online receipt and she got exasperated. It landed on the shoebox I was holding and made a hole right through. The store manager told me they've had instances like that in the past and it will be dealt with.

At least the frum stores don't throw things at you.

lk1234

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:28 pm
Oh my ruby that is terrible! Not to derail this thread but did you file a police report. Was this recent? I'm scared to shop there now!

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:42 pm
I returned an unwarn slirt with tags to talbots the crazy cahsier took it to her nose and said it smelled
I returned an unwarn dress to lord and taylor the woman streched the backside of the dress to see if it was worn

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:47 pm
I got accused to returning a coat that didn’t belong to a store. I bought it at the store’s location in one place and returned it to another location. The cashier said the coat didn’t belong to the store. I said yea it does. Had a receipt and the coat still had the tags Rolling Eyes she called the manager who promptly handled everything and apologized for the employee’s attitude.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:53 pm
I worked for a kitchen business. There was a job being done for a very wealthy indivdual in Manhattan. But he was very demanding and needed to have everything NOW. However the items he ordered were all very custom and the more custom the longer it takes. One day after many times before , he called and demanded that everything be completed that day. That was impossible. The items were still being manufactured at the factory and we were given a few week lead time. He started speaking very nasty to me and he was screaming. I calmly said that if he could not talk in a normal tone and if he won’t stop screaming I will have to hang up. He slammed the phone down on me. Two hours later a huge Hummer pulled up in front of the showroom and this guy comes out towards the store. I was told who it was and I ran to the back. He had driven all the way from Manhattan to berate and threaten me. I stood quaking in the back while my boss and others went to deal with him. Ever since then, when the caller ID had his name , I had other people deal with him. Just because you are rich doesn’t mean the world revolves around you.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:55 pm
I bought a dress from a frum company who sells clothing from her home. I brought it to my dressmaker who said it couldn’t be fixed to fit me properly. I asked if I can return dress for credit. First she said no. Then she said yes. I returned dress. I moved out of area so Wasng able to shop at store because they have very limited hours. I kept Copy of check in my purse and proof of credit. But also had the exchange in emails... anyways She was having open hour right before covid began. I drove 45 minutes to specifically go shop and no staff was there.(Child let me into house) I tried on a few dresses and choose one I wanted and put it in her office with note and copy of check. And my phone number. A few days later I emailed to follow up. Made some excuse why they are busy and can’t look into it. Emailed again they use covid excuse. (Mind you they are having open hours and shipping but don’t have someone to look into my credit...)Meanwhile dress that I wanted sold out. And I’m still chasing them... very frustrating

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 9:01 pm
One of our biggest clients is extremely rude and yells and screams and curses as soon as he gets upset. And he can be upset about something else entirely, having nothing to do with our company, but if I call him at the wrong time I'll get yelled at regardless. My boss gave me permission to hang up the phone as soon as he starts yelling, even though hes really a valuable client. It feels pretty good darn good to hang up on him, and ironic thing is that he keeps coming back!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 9:03 pm
Guys, if you don’t mind to keep to thread about nasty customers... talking to those that own businesses and work in customer service. There are enough thread bashing store owners and workers already.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 9:16 pm
A physician on staff at our hospital demanded to get an immediate appointment, demanded his test be ordered stat and dropped in at my office (since he could bypass security with his badge) when results weren't available soon enough for his liking.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 9:24 pm
Years ago I used to be a barista/cashier at a coffee shop and a customer came in asking for a kind of drink I never heard of before. I told him I didn't know what he meant and I guess I didn't understand his explanation so accidentally made him the wrong drink which caused his purchase to be .50 more than it was supposed to be. He yelled and cursed at me for typing down the wrong order. I started crying (I was exhausted because I was up all night studying for a final) and my supervisor had to take over for me. He came back a few days later and tried joking to me about it in front his friend but I just icily looked at him.

rdmom

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 9:29 pm
My husband owned a small accessories store in a jewish neighborhood. He had closed the store but the lease was still paid for a few months and due to a hectic time in the family, the items were still in the store. Even tho the business was closed. This was going on for about 3 months. Finally we finished packing up and moving the stuff out. The day we moved the furniture out, a local woman passes and tells my husband she was in the store last week and bought a piece of jewelry. She would like to return it for a full money back refund. Now bear in mind, we haven’t been open for 3 months at this point. My husband told her I’m sorry. The store is closed. We can’t take any refunds. And anyway, it’s impossible that she bought it last week. It’s way past the 30 days. She said she wants to talk to the owner. The other guy who worked there. Now this other guy, was at that point not working with my husband for the past 6 months. So she is wanting to return something she says was bought last week, but really, is more than 6 months. My husband told her. Sorry. Store is closed. We are moving furniture out. She told my husband she will call the police if we don’t give her a refund. My husband offered to call for her and wait right there until they come. She walked away in a huff.
And that is one of the reasons why my husband refuses to deal with jewish people. Especially not a retail store.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 9:29 pm
lk1234 wrote:
Oh my ruby that is terrible! Not to derail this thread but did you file a police report. Was this recent? I'm scared to shop there now!

It was this past Friday. I got a text before Shabbos from the manager saying it was taken care of. Whatever that means. Don't be scared to shop there, just be careful and speak up if something like this happens to you. Her name is Karmen and she's an older woman. You can always just go to another customer service rep when it's your turn.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 9:40 pm
I have been a serious shopper for many years. The worst worst shopping experience that I have ever had was the first time I went shopping in Boro Park, I guess we were not well dressed enough for Boro Park standards. What works for Bergdorfs doesn't seem to work in Boro Park. We went into a children's clothing store. And the woman refused to show me things. Everything that I asked about she told me that I couldn't afford. It was one of the most bizarre experiences ever and cured me from shopping in Boro Park. (This was around 20 years ago.) I went to a different store and bought a bunch of stuff. I really wanted to do what Juila Roberts did in Pretty Woman when she goes back to the first store where the woman wouldn't server with all her shopping bags.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 9:46 pm
When I worked in a store we had a woman come in carrying a bag from our local competition. She tried to return the items inside. The only problem was that we didnt sell that exact item. So she couldn't have bought it from us. And the bag was a good clue to where she actually did buy it.

She proceeded to throw a tantrum and insist she bought it from us but she lost the receipt and we must refund her.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 10:40 pm
I once supplies some kosher meals to a hotel that was hosting an event. I had it plated nicely on a fancy disposable plate with microwave instructions. They steamed it instead, and the plate folded up like a tulip. A woman who recieved the meal called me to complain and couldn't/wouldn't accept the fact that I gave instructions that were not followed-it was obviously my fault At wits end At wits end

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 10:49 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
I have been a serious shopper for many years. The worst worst shopping experience that I have ever had was the first time I went shopping in Boro Park, I guess we were not well dressed enough for Boro Park standards. What works for Bergdorfs doesn't seem to work in Boro Park. We went into a children's clothing store. And the woman refused to show me things. Everything that I asked about she told me that I couldn't afford. It was one of the most bizarre experiences ever and cured me from shopping in Boro Park. (This was around 20 years ago.) I went to a different store and bought a bunch of stuff. I really wanted to do what Juila Roberts did in Pretty Woman when she goes back to the first store where the woman wouldn't server with all her shopping bags.

It's sadly still going on today, in monsey as well. I dress very plain & I can bh afford to shop for my kids at nice Frum stores. The attitude and comments I get..... I can write a book. They may be able to make more money from me than the fancy lady they're kissing up too, their loss.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 10:56 pm
I was in a personalization store in middle of giving in my order when a women cuts through the line and starts saying to the sales lady "I'm in a huge rush, I just need one kippa, can you show me what designs you have?" The sales lady says she's in middle of helping me and when she'll finish she'll help her. The lady says "but it's just one thing, I'm in a rush!" The sales lady says I'm sorry, when I finish with this customer I'll help you. So the woman proceeds to berate the poor sales lady "what type of service do you have? Can't you see I'm in a rush? It'll only take a minute! This isn't called customer service!" At this point I felt so bad for the sales women that I told her to just take her order. I gave that women such a look that I think she'll never forget it. I was baffled! I couldn't believe that a normal person can behave this way. And she had a kid with her there....
The sales lady deserves credit for not losing her cool.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 12:13 am
I worked somewhere that does only custom orders so all orders are confirmed w payment way in advance- everything always very clear and written down cuz that’s the nature of the business.

So we had a time the whole order was confirmed and ready to go (day before scheduled delivery) when we asked the customer for the best delivery address and time. They respond saying they never confirmed the order? Um... hi? We confirmed over a month ago with every last detail and a credit card... So we were sitting there with over a thousand dollars of custom things that we couldn’t sell to anyone else and months of planning for this specific person... we told him, look -we had a confirmation and cc we have everything ready for you etc etc and the guy refused to respond after that....
I still can’t get over it every time I think about it! Rolling Eyes

amother
White

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 12:20 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
It's sadly still going on today, in monsey as well. I dress very plain & I can bh afford to shop for my kids at nice Frum stores. The attitude and comments I get..... I can write a book. They may be able to make more money from me than the fancy lady they're kissing up too, their loss.

I had a similar experience in Monsey. I once went to a store all dressed up for fun, just to see how different they treated me. It was awful.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics