Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Social Distancing/ Imamother
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:36 am
I am really starting to think 🤔 ...there are so many imas saying they are still sd. Is this to be politically correct or it seems that the same few families in each community are the same ones on ima?
How can it be that every post that someone bring up sd, everyone pipes up that they are still sd?
Stores are opening day camps barbershops etc.... we are in middle of June. I dont need you to bring me proof that we should be sd based on Isreal 2nd wave or drs are saying it.

My neighbor husband works in -----which company services tri-state Lakewood monsey big name in all the frum communities. He said less then a handful of people had a problem with his workers going into the house the last month.
Can I now identify which mom is on ima by associating them whith sd?
I dont want to think that there are imas saying sd to be politically correct.
I need a poll with a location so maybe that would explain why I am not seeing any sd

I am from Flatbush not sd

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:45 am
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has commissioned a review of the 2m (6ft) social distancing rule, but could a reduced distance work to stem the spread of coronavirus, asks BBC Science editor David Shukman.

Put simply, the nearer you are to someone who is infected, the greater the risk of catching the virus.

The government's scientific advisers say that being 1m apart carries up to 10 times the risk of a 2m separation.

Meanwhile the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends keeping a distance of at least 1m.

It's not all about distances, however. The amount of time spent in proximity to an infected person, the quality of ventilation, and safety precautions such as face coverings can all have an impact on the chances of infection.

There's your proof.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:49 am
I'm in Israel - never stopped SD and I know many others doing SD.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 4:00 am
I live in Israel and still doing SD.
I wear a mask whenever I leave my home.
If I get near people we stand far apart.
I go to the makolet but also, there are never allowed to be too many people there. I make sure not to be too close to them.
I met my brother yesterday, after not seeing him for a looot of months. We stood extremely far apart.
I know that many are still SD. On shabbat, when we walk our dog, we do see people taking walks, but not as many as it used to be and in the parks, there may be a family or three, but its also, not over run the way it used to be.
Bnei akiva peulot are done only in open areas. They must come with masks. They also have to have their health form filled out to say they are healthy.

So, in a word, yes, we are still doing social distancing. And will keep doing it for as long as we have to, in order to not infect others and hopefully not get sick ourselves.

salt

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 4:09 am
In Israel, kids are back in school.
I always find it a little contradictory, that the government is always mentioning the 3 golden rules:
1. 2m distance
2. masks
3. hygiene

And then the open the schools and daycares.
1. Pupils are sitting at desks 20cm apart.
2. Masks... I don't know, my kids do try to keep their masks on cos they're the nervous type, but not everyone does.
3. Hygiene - yeh, kind of, maybe you can remind your 10 year old to wash his hands often, but not a 3 year old.

So while I am at work in a spacious office, social distancing and wearing a mask and washing my hands once an hour, barely inviting people into my house, mask when I go out, no unessential shopping, etc.
Once you open the schools, that goes out the window.

Not saying they shouldn't have done it, but they can't say 'keep the 3 rules and all will be fine', to 5 year old kids.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 4:18 am
By now people have a lot of definitions of social distancing.

Some will say 'I've barely left the house since Purim, and the children don't even look out of the window without two masks', and anything less than that is risking instant infection.

Others define social distancing as mainly meeting other people outside, maintaining a distance of approximately two metres, and sometimes wearing a mask.

The stricter someone is, the more likely they are to be vocal about it, and often very self righteous. They are probably the ones we see on every post. The people who are more relaxed tend to accept that what they are doing is not perfect, and not complain about what other people are doing.

Mayflower

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 4:25 am
I'm not in the US, but I do think a lot of people are somewhere in the middle, and that's how I try to do it.

I meet up with a few friends, but only outdoors and while we probably don't keep a 5ft distance from each other at all times, we don't hug or touch each other.
My husband goes to shul, but only to one specific minyan where they are careful with SD rules (disinfecting hands when coming in/going out, wearing masks, distance, everyone brings their own sidur and chumash).
I let my kids have play dates, but only with their classmates (since they anyway sit in the same classroom together now that schools opened up).
I take my kids to the park, but we leave when we see it's too crowded to keep distance.
I go to the sheitelmacher, but we both wear a mask.

... You get the picture. So while we've definitely loosened up compared to Pesach time, we are still careful as much as possible. Most people around me seem to be doing this, except for a few people who never took it seriously to begin with.

ora_43

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 4:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am really starting to think 🤔 ...there are so many imas saying they are still sd. Is this to be politically correct or it seems that the same few families in each community are the same ones on ima?

My neighbor husband works in -----which company services tri-state Lakewood monsey big name in all the frum communities. He said less then a handful of people had a problem with his workers going into the house the last month.

Social distancing, 'stay home' orders, and quarantine are three different things.

If you don't have anyone over and don't leave the house at all, that's quarantine.

If you don't have anyone over but do go food shopping, go for walks, etc, that's 'stay home.'

If you have workers over but take care not to stand too close or to be in the same closed room without masks on, that's social distancing. (Or if you take the bus, but wear a mask; walk around outside, but keep a distance from others; daven in a minyan, but only outdoors... etc).

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 4:37 am
I live in Israel and literally CAN'T SD. I have to take public busses to get to work, and now they are allowed to fill up, so I often have someone sitting next to me, and if they are fat or unthoughtful they are literally touching me. Sure there are masks, but what good is a mask if a stranger is touching you?

Everyone in my household is youngish and no background diseases, so I'm not super worried about Corona, I'm just kinda pissed at the situation where if you don't have a car, you don't have a choice.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 4:43 am
salt wrote:
In Israel, kids are back in school.
I always find it a little contradictory, that the government is always mentioning the 3 golden rules:
1. 2m distance
2. masks
3. hygiene

And then the open the schools and daycares.
1. Pupils are sitting at desks 20cm apart.
2. Masks... I don't know, my kids do try to keep their masks on cos they're the nervous type, but not everyone does.
3. Hygiene - yeh, kind of, maybe you can remind your 10 year old to wash his hands often, but not a 3 year old.

So while I am at work in a spacious office, social distancing and wearing a mask and washing my hands once an hour, barely inviting people into my house, mask when I go out, no unessential shopping, etc.
Once you open the schools, that goes out the window.

Not saying they shouldn't have done it, but they can't say 'keep the 3 rules and all will be fine', to 5 year old kids.

ITA with this.

Adults can be as careful as we want, but once they opened schools (and buses) and did not take sufficient extra precautions there, the disease will spread (as the recent numbers are showing).

If we are willing to live with that then fine, but don't start lecturing us about SD when you know these crowded situations in schools and public transportation are not being addressed.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 5:00 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
I live in Israel and literally CAN'T SD. I have to take public busses to get to work, and now they are allowed to fill up, so I often have someone sitting next to me, and if they are fat or unthoughtful they are literally touching me. Sure there are masks, but what good is a mask if a stranger is touching you?

Everyone in my household is youngish and no background diseases, so I'm not super worried about Corona, I'm just kinda pissed at the situation where if you don't have a car, you don't have a choice.

I hear. I can walk to work and DH works from home.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 5:02 am
DrMom wrote:
ITA with this.

Adults can be as careful as we want, but once they opened schools (and buses) and did not take sufficient extra precautions there, the disease will spread (as the recent numbers are showing).

If we are willing to live with that then fine, but don't start lecturing us about SD when you know these crowded situations in schools and public transportation are not being addressed.

If you don't have kids in school and can get around without public transportation - it's possible to be careful.

Which is why we still are.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 5:40 am
... what good is a mask if a stranger is touching you?

The virus can't pass through your skin, and it doesn't travel on your skin to get to your mouth, nose, or eyes. Don't touch your face (whether you've been touched or not) and wash your hands when you get to where you're going (ditto).

essie14

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 6:08 am
I am in Israel. we are absolutely social distancing. We have a car. No one is taking public transportation. Groceries are being delivered. If I need something in between deliveries we go to a store which limits the number of customers and where we can maintain distance between people. DD is not going to gan. Older DCs are learning over zoom or doing assignments sent by the teachers. DH works in his empty office, all the other employees are working from home. We all wear masks whenever we leave the house and dont go near anyone, we keep 2 meters between us. We dont go anywhere indoors where we cannot keep SD.

salt

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 6:18 am
essie14 wrote:
I am in Israel. we are absolutely social distancing. We have a car. No one is taking public transportation. Groceries are being delivered. If I need something in between deliveries we go to a store which limits the number of customers and where we can maintain distance between people. DD is not going to gan. Older DCs are learning over zoom or doing assignments sent by the teachers. DH works in his empty office, all the other employees are working from home. We all wear masks whenever we leave the house and dont go near anyone, we keep 2 meters between us. We dont go anywhere indoors where we cannot keep SD.

Is that because you chose not to send your children to gan/school?
My kids' long-distance lessons ceased, when the schools opened up, and more than ~half the kids came back. Who watches your gan-aged DD at home?

essie14

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 6:25 am
salt wrote:
Is that because you chose not to send your children to gan/school?
My kids' long-distance lessons ceased, when the schools opened up, and more than ~half the kids came back. Who watches your gan-aged DD at home?

Yes, we chose to keep her at home.
I watch her.
HS aged DS - his school reopened, then closed, then reopened again. It was ridiculous. so we keep him home and if there is school that day, the teachers send the assignments. if school is closed, it's over zoom. anyway, today is his last day.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 6:29 am
imasoftov wrote:

Quote:
.. what good is a mask if a stranger is touching you?

The virus can't pass through your skin, and it doesn't travel on your skin to get to your mouth, nose, or eyes. Don't touch your face (whether you've been touched or not) and wash your hands when you get to where you're going (ditto).

If you are sitting close enough to someone that they are touching you, you are also exposed to their breath to some extent. A mask (even if you're both wearing it properly) isn't a hermetic seal.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 7:04 am
We are still social distancing here in England. Less than we were at the beginning, but still only meeting people outside, no visitors etc.

A few classes are starting school though many aren't sending. The ones who are are will be keeping to very strict guidelines - small groups, apart etc.

happyone

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 7:16 am
I am still SD in my own way. But I don't considor it SD. Meaning I have not yet been to the grocery or to large public areas or to work. I wear a mask when going into anywhere but home , however I DO NOT wear a mask outdoors. I breathe fresh air and meet friends outside. Guided by doctors. I do allow my children to go out, and they have attended school this week. I hope in the next two weeks to drop all restrictions . I am just waiting to see 14 days after children are in public areas if there will be reinfection in the community or a "second wave."

You can't be holed up forever. I think one thing Covid taught us is that God handpicked those meant to die. And at this point the curve has been flattened and I look forward to living once again.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 7:29 am
Elfrida wrote:
If you are sitting close enough to someone that they are touching you, you are also exposed to their breath to some extent. A mask (even if you're both wearing it properly) isn't a hermetic seal.

Agreed, but Yellow was particularly worried about touch.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics