Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Mom has ruach Hakodesh about baby name??????
1  2  Next

Rappel

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 12:00 pm
I can't find a source for this anywhere.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 12:20 pm
Rappel wrote:

I dont know about mom or dad but Reb Elimelech from Lizensk clearly writes in his sefer that a persons name is not given to him by chance; it is connected to his shoresh hanashama.
(I wish I could quote the exact parsha, but I do not remember where I saw it)

Sewsew_mom

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:09 pm
It's mom's baby, mom chooses name.. Thats what hashem wants the baby to be named. That's close enough to ruach hakodesh.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:37 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
It's mom's baby, mom chooses name.. Thats what hashem wants the baby to be named. That's close enough to ruach hakodesh.

That's what I always hear. The mom chooses the name with ruach hakodesh. I'm not saying it's not true, I didn't learn enough to say it doesn't say this anywhere, but I have a hard time believing it's true in all cases.
Maybe some mothers are on a high level and they're granted the ability to see things we can't ordinarily see and they use that special wisdom to name their baby. Don't tell me it's always the case though. How about mothers who give inappropriate names after really bad people in Tanach like Nimrod or Atalya ? How about mothers who don't give their baby a Jewish name and pick a non-Jewish name they like? You're going to tell me they had ruach hakodesh?
Often there's a name in a family some people want the baby to get. In some circles it's a grandparent who died, in some families it's a living relative, depending on whether they name after living relatives or after relatives who passed away. In those cases if it's not a name the mother wants to give, this is when she pulls out the mothers-have-ruach-hakodesh card so she gets to name the baby whatever she wants.
I think better skip the ruach hakodesh and go straight to- I'm naming my baby a name I like because it's my baby.

giselle

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:39 pm
I don’t know any source although I’ve always heard it.. and I really feel like it was true both with my mother naming me and me naming my children. I can’t really explain, but I feel like their names were perfect for them, including their nicknames and legal names.

chicco

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 3:46 pm
I think it is the parents, not just the mom.

https://www.aish.com/tp/i/m/48909437.html

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 4:10 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:

Then I guess in my story, of my toddler now, Hashem favored me - ruach hakodesh....? Lol
There were 2 names we had to choose from-hubs rebbe or hubs grandfather. I wanted one name while my husband really thought to give the other, we didn't know what to do. Day before bris my father called out to me, wanting to make sure, the name will be so and so, right? And me, without a second thought, yes. (My grandfather was honored to say the name-forgot what the kibbud name is, and my father wanted to prepare him by writing it down beforehand and not whispering in right before.) I called my husband with the name to be given. It was the one I wanted. He was awestruck and right away agreed that name to give.... He then told me how he was really torn between which name to give, so asked Hashem to plz give him a cue, show a sign, which name to ultimately give. I was just as amazed!

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 4:11 pm
Rappel wrote:

This is what I've heard too. But from personal experience, not true. I've had a very hard time with more than one of my children's names.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 6:35 pm
I would love to hear more about this.
When my daughter was born I just got this idea of a name and KNEW that that's the name she needs to have. Some questioned our decision, as it wasn't named after someone, and it's quite an unpopular name.
My husband and I both loved her name though, and I'm so happy to call her by that name every time I call her name.
I'm pregnant now with my second and I'm more conflicted. I had a grandmother pass away many years ago with the name Rivka, but couldn't give that name until now. Although I'd love to honor my grandmother, she's not around anyway, and I don't feel very pulled to that name as it's very typical and too common. To add to that, my husband only wants to use it as a middle name, as my grandmother had a tough life and his opinion and tradition in his community is adding a name adds bracha, and they only add the name before the actual name. (This isn't the way it's done in my family, and I feel using my grandmother's name as a middle name is no honor at all, more like a dishonor.)
Our other option is to choose a name we like, but I'm not very pulled to anything. I want something all community friendly (fit into our local bais yakov, but not have another one (or few!) in her class).
Definitely open to suggestions.
For boys names, I like Eitan, Aiden, Nathan. They're all too modern for my community, Nathan would quickly become Nosson once he hits yeshiva stage. Regardless, I need a girls name. I like names with happy meanings like Bracha or Simcha, but don't love the ches/chaf sound in a name, as I like it to be a little more universal.

Sorry OP- wasn't going to derail the thread, just really want a source so I can try to get some clarity!

Frumme

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 7:10 pm
https://judaism.stackexchange......child

Maybe this will help?

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 7:17 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I would love to hear more about this.
When my daughter was born I just got this idea of a name and KNEW that that's the name she needs to have. Some questioned our decision, as it wasn't named after someone, and it's quite an unpopular name.
My husband and I both loved her name though, and I'm so happy to call her by that name every time I call her name.
I'm pregnant now with my second and I'm more conflicted. I had a grandmother pass away many years ago with the name Rivka, but couldn't give that name until now. Although I'd love to honor my grandmother, she's not around anyway, and I don't feel very pulled to that name as it's very typical and too common. To add to that, my husband only wants to use it as a middle name, as my grandmother had a tough life and his opinion and tradition in his community is adding a name adds bracha, and they only add the name before the actual name. (This isn't the way it's done in my family, and I feel using my grandmother's name as a middle name is no honor at all, more like a dishonor.)
Our other option is to choose a name we like, but I'm not very pulled to anything. I want something all community friendly (fit into our local bais yakov, but not have another one (or few!) in her class).
Definitely open to suggestions.
For boys names, I like Eitan, Aiden, Nathan. They're all too modern for my community, Nathan would quickly become Nosson once he hits yeshiva stage. Regardless, I need a girls name. I like names with happy meanings like Bracha or Simcha, but don't love the ches/chaf sound in a name, as I like it to be a little more universal.

Sorry OP- wasn't going to derail the thread, just really want a source so I can try to get some clarity!

After reading your post the name Adina popped into my head.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 7:23 pm
Sometimes a simple comment can be the shliach from Hashem to give a parent an idea of what to name.

One of my boys was all set to be named a certain two names. I was sure about the first but felt ambivalent about the second name. My little nephew made a comment to me I think you’re going to name the baby xyz abc. And suddenly a light bulb burst and I remembered that I had forgotten that I loved one of those names and it would fit perfectly for the second name.

Another child her name literally flew into my brain when I was pregnant. I was so sure that this was the name that it made me realize I was having a girl. It was a girl. And we named her this perfect name. We couldn’t even nickname her the name was just so perfect.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 8:02 pm
When I was pregnant we had a laundry list of names that we loved and then one night I had a dream of a completely different name, one I had never even heard before, and it was perfect.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 8:19 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Regardless, I need a girls name. I like names with happy meanings like Bracha or Simcha, but don't love the ches/chaf sound in a name, as I like it to be a little more universal.

Aliza, Rina, Gila -- happiness related
Shalva -- calm

Btw I love the meaning of the name Bracha and am considering giving it, but it having both a reish (we live in Israel) and a Chet really makes me think twice. I may make a spin-off thread on this topic (names you like but with difficult letters).

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 1:27 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Aliza, Rina, Gila -- happiness related
Shalva -- calm

Btw I love the meaning of the name Bracha and am considering giving it, but it having both a reish (we live in Israel) and a Chet really makes me think twice. I may make a spin-off thread on this topic (names you like but with difficult letters).

Yes! This is my issue! I'm in Israel and my husband is Israeli and every time we've named a child, I have this issue, how I pronounce it vs. he vs. everyone else. I do have a child with Bracha in her name, and I love it! But at first I definitely felt funny saying her name to people. I think I've gotten a bit better at the reish the past couple of years. I also have a Devorah, and he says "Devoirah" and I usually say it the american way and sometimes the Israeli way and sometimes his way. She's still a baby, but I'm guessing she and her siblings and friends will say it the Israeli way. We'll see what ends up happening. Sorry OP, no source for you...

PeanutMama

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 1:39 am
When my son was born my husband immediately said two names and I just looked at my son and I agreed that we should give these two names to our son.
It really fit him.

His entire name means “in the shade of gd of Avrohom”
Love it.
We call him a short nickname for short though. It’s a mouthful lol

Last edited by PeanutMama on Tue, Jun 16 2020, 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total

banana123

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 1:40 am
I heard that the parents, plural, have ruach hakodesh in choosing a name. Only on imamother did I ever hear that it's the mother and not the father with ruach hakodesh...

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 1:43 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Sometimes a simple comment can be the shliach from Hashem to give a parent an idea of what to name.

One of my boys was all set to be named a certain two names. I was sure about the first but felt ambivalent about the second name. My little nephew made a comment to me I think you’re going to name the baby xyz abc. And suddenly a light bulb burst and I remembered that I had forgotten that I loved one of those names and it would fit perfectly for the second name.

Another child her name literally flew into my brain when I was pregnant. I was so sure that this was the name that it made me realize I was having a girl. It was a girl. And we named her this perfect name. We couldn’t even nickname her the name was just so perfect.

One of my friends was supposed to be named Sara (for example), but then one day her father dreamt he was meeting the rebbe and asked to give a different name, so of course he did.

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:37 am
In tanach, those are the examples that come to mind concerning ruach hakodesh and naming...
Itzhak
Dan
Imanuel
ichavod
Shmuel?
Shimshon?
shlomoh ha melech?

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:41 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
When my son was born my husband immediately said two names and I just looked at my son and I agreed that we should give these two names to our son.
It really fit him.

His entire name means “in the shade of gd of Avrohom”
Love it.
We call him a short nickname for short though. It’s a mouthful lol

betzalel avrohom?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions