Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Catskills overnight camps charging insane fees for daycamp
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 12:10 am
Trying to be dan l’kav zechus and having a very hard time 🤔
Overnight campuses like Munk, Romimu, Ohr Chedvah sent letters about how day camp is going to be mamash like overnight except the kids sleep at home after night activity and no camp in Shabbos.
And therefore they will cost 3k+ !!! (Bussing not included)
Do you really think even close to a majority of bungalow colony families are interested in their kids being gone from 8am-10pm? Want their kids being driven home on the dangerous mountain roads in the dark?
Come on- you unfortunately lost $ this season losing the overnight revenue so now you are going to turn around and dump the fee on me? No thanks. We figured it out since Purim, we will manage without daycamp if necessary.

QueensMama

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 12:22 am
I imagine opening and maintaining the campus for just two months is hugely expensive.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 12:24 am
Can you please post the letter from Romimu?

chocolatecake

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 12:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Trying to be dan l’kav zechus and having a very hard time 🤔
Overnight campuses like Munk, Romimu, Ohr Chedvah sent letters about how day camp is going to be mamash like overnight except the kids sleep at home after night activity and no camp in Shabbos.
And therefore they will cost 3k+ !!! (Bussing not included)
Do you really think even close to a majority of bungalow colony families are interested in their kids being gone from 8am-10pm? Want their kids being driven home on the dangerous mountain roads in the dark?
Come on- you unfortunately lost $ this season losing the overnight revenue so now you are going to turn around and dump the fee on me? No thanks. We figured it out since Purim, we will manage without daycamp if necessary.

Are the camps actually increasing the fees or they are just maintaining the original price of what overnight camp would have been?

kalsee

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 12:46 am
No one has to send Confused

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 1:12 am
The cost of opening a camp is tremendous. When a sleep away camp also has a day camp on grounds many of the expenses are covered by the regular camp so they don’t have to charge that much. But now that there’s no sleep away they would lose money if they’d charge the regular day camp prices.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 1:25 am
Explain the logistics.

Is this a camp for people in a bungalow colony?

In all seriousness, why would you need a camp until 10 PM if you are in the country. Couldn’t the colony organize activities for the kids living there?

I understand why it’s difficult in the city but in the country, can’t kids just enjoy playing? We spent time in the country and just played with the other kids with occasional excursions organized by mothers who would often split supervision or act communally for some activities.

I am confused by why this would be something worth $3000 per kid?

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 6:45 am
Isn’t Camp Munk $2,000 a half?

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 6:52 am
Amarante wrote:
Explain the logistics.

Is this a camp for people in a bungalow colony?

In all seriousness, why would you need a camp until 10 PM if you are in the country. Couldn’t the colony organize activities for the kids living there?

I understand why it’s difficult in the city but in the country, can’t kids just enjoy playing? We spent time in the country and just played with the other kids with occasional excursions organized by mothers who would often split supervision or act communally for some activities.

I am confused by why this would be something worth $3000 per kid?

I agree that it’s not worth it, but it’s the only way that the camps can make it work. Of course everyone has the choice to send or not, but many kids who were supposed to go to camp and are very disappointed wouldn’t be happy staying in the bungalow. This will be as close to camp as possible. Definitely not for everyone, but it’s the best option for many people.

Simple1

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 8:10 am
They don't need such long hours. Do parents really want to spend their vacation waking up so early and getting the kids to camp?

Tech_mom

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 8:32 am
Are they charging 3k for the whole summer? What are they charging per half? Remember that the are giving supper I believe.
I didn’t get the specs yet from my daughters camp, but I’m trying to decide if it’s worth it y take a bungalow that is available on the assumption that day camp is gonna be significantly cheaper than sleepaway for a few kids.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 9:13 am
Tech_mom wrote:
Are they charging 3k for the whole summer? What are they charging per half? Remember that the are giving supper I believe.
I didn’t get the specs yet from my daughters camp, but I’m trying to decide if it’s worth it y take a bungalow that is available on the assumption that day camp is gonna be significantly cheaper than sleepaway for a few kids.

Romimu is charging $1750/half, $3000 for the entire summer.
What I don’t get is how everyone is going to shlep their kids back and forth every day (they’re not providing transportation). I think the country roads are going to have a hard time handling the traffic.
But if this situation works for people... I’m all for it!

Simple1

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 9:15 am
And yes, the country roads at night are pitch dark and scary.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 9:18 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
What I don’t get is how everyone is going to shlep their kids back and forth every day (they’re not providing transportation). I think the country roads are going to have a hard time handling the traffic.

That’s not so crazy.
How much is regular day camp without their amenities?
But again no one is forcing you to send.
If there would be no camp ppl would complain
Now that there is camp and owners would like to cover expenses ppl complain.
Camps aren’t chessed projects. Or necessary like school.
Either don’t send or open your own.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:05 am
amother [ White ] wrote:

There is transportation for Romimu.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 12:26 pm
Genuinely curious as to why day camp is necessary if one is at a bungalow colony.

One is in the country and there is room to play and kids to play with. Why is it necessary to pay for organized activity off the premises. Don’t the colonies have recreational facilities.

Why spend money to go to a vacation home - especially when one is in proximity to other kids. I am proba missing something in terms of my understanding the lifestyle.

I am not challenging the decisions but I had assumed the lifestyle of the bungalows meant that kids stayed on site and that the colony might hire some counselors so the kids were supervised.

cnc

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 12:31 pm
Amarante wrote:
Genuinely curious as to why day camp is necessary if one is at a bungalow colony.

One is in the country and there is room to play and kids to play with. Why is it necessary to pay for organized activity off the premises. Don’t the colonies have recreational facilities.

Why spend money to go to a vacation home - especially when one is in proximity to other kids. I am proba missing something in terms of my understanding the lifestyle.

I am not challenging the decisions but I had assumed the lifestyle of the bungalows meant that kids stayed on site and that the colony might hire some counselors so the kids were supervised.

It’s not set up for older children.
Bochurim can’t just sit and do nothing the whole day. They need a structured program with learning etc .

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 12:34 pm
cnc wrote:
It’s not set up for older children.
Bochurim can’t just sit and do nothing the whole day. They need a structured program with learning etc .

What you are describing is what I would call summer school and not camp.

Not trying to be argumentative but I assumed when people are describing a need for summer camp for their children it is one that provides recreational activities as a break for kids on summer vacation.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 12:40 pm
Amarante wrote:

I don’t get it either unless the Camp refuses to refund the money that we paid for sleep away....still waiting for my refund!

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 1:18 pm
How is it allowed. It’s basically keeping the camp as it is. Aren’t the camps three hours away from Brooklyn? Are the families staying in the bungalow colonies or in Brooklyn?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics