Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
From which age do you allow make-up?
1  2  Next

From which age do you allow your daughters to wear make-up in public (outside purim)?
I allow it as soon as they want  
 15%  [ 13 ]
12 years  
 1%  [ 1 ]
14 years  
 14%  [ 12 ]
16 years  
 52%  [ 43 ]
18 years  
 14%  [ 12 ]
marriage  
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 82

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 4:36 am
From which age do you allow your daughters to wear make-up in public (outside purim)?

Rappel

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 4:47 am
What an interesting question. Man, when my daughter wants to wear makeup, DH is going to freak. XD

I don't wear makeup anymore, so she'll probably only be interested when her friends are, and that age changes with the generations. I would probably let her out of the house that way at whatever age she can do it without smearing it on like a clown. I will teach her about different patterns and colours first, and what statement/message different makeup gives off.

Ooh, I haven't even thought of this. Thank you for bringing it up!

Success10

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 4:50 am
My girls beg for makeup. I don't like the idea of makeup on young girls, as though they aren't pretty enough. I think it sends a bad message to allow them to wear makeup for real, not as dressup. When they are 16 I will let outside the house, not on Purim. Maybe a drop here and there for certain simchas before that age.

Rappel

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 5:10 am
Success10 wrote:
My girls beg for makeup. I don't like the idea of makeup on young girls, as though they aren't pretty enough. I think it sends a bad message to allow them to wear makeup for real, not as dressup. When they are 16 I will let outside the house, not on Purim. Maybe a drop here and there for certain simchas before that age.

Every society is different, but I think in a teenage context it's mostly done as art, and eventually as a social norm, rather than as a beauty mask. It's not like they're hanging out with boys or have anyone to impress - it's just something they play with with their friends.

Though I agree, that still doesn't mean they should leave the house that way. XD

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 6:55 am
School allows at 11th grade so 11th grade.

I’m going to miss the makeup purchasing outing this year. Oh well.

Chickensoupprof

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 7:02 am
I was 14 when I started daily, before that I loved to be painted in a princess. Because I have really big circles under my eyes which can only be removed with plastic chiurgy I use lots of concealers. So that was the first thing I did for a few years. Concealer.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 8:05 am
16. But at 14, I allow mascara and lip gloss for shabbos if they ask.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 8:06 am
Most girls when I was in 9th grade wore mascara on shabbat.

Some even EYELINER. Goodness.

I think it really depends on how much makeup. I think wearing mascara on shabbos is totally acceptable even from 12, if that's what a girl wants. Lipstick? Blush? Those are more tricky.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 8:06 am
My plan was, if the kids could hold off till my friends started (it took me a few years) bH, because things were and are so accelerated in the next generations. And no fooling around with school policy: if say, the school didn't allow nail polish (I don't remember) then it had to be off when school started again.

The school make up policies were pretty reasonable.

I think it worked out ok.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 8:09 am
My daughter’s not that age yet, but please let your daughters wear makeup when their friends are wearing. This was a huge source of conflict between me and my mother for no great reason. I went to a right wing Bais Yaakov and all the good frum girl were wearing makeup, but my mother personally wasn’t into makeup and so got it into her head that I can’t wear it. I think this was in 11th grade. It caused so many unnecessary fights.

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 8:17 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
My daughter’s not that age yet, but please let your daughters wear makeup when their friends are wearing. This was a huge source of conflict between me and my mother for no great reason. I went to a right wing Bais Yaakov and all the good frum girl were wearing makeup, but my mother personally wasn’t into makeup and so got it into her head that I can’t wear it. I think this was in 11th grade. It caused so many unnecessary fights.

On the other hand: lucky the mom who has nothing worse to fight about...
Sometimes I think perhaps it's not bad to argue about little things like that, then the teenagers can have their rebellion, but don't need to resort to "bigger" things...

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 8:18 am
Ora in town wrote:
On the other hand: lucky the mom who has nothing worse to fight about...
Sometimes I think perhaps it's not bad to argue about little things like that, then the teenagers can have their rebellion, but don't need to resort to "bigger" things...

Don’t worry we fought about much bigger things too. Not sure why you’d think this means we didn’t.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 9:26 am
I’m not there yet but my mom
Let me at 16 and I can see myself doing the same for my (now) 5 year old (who I met put on a tiny bit of lip gloss before Shabbos)

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 10:46 am
For simchos just to enhance natural look and after she graduates high school as she feels is necessary. That is the norm in my community.
I hate the madeup look, and only wear enhancement. Hope she will decide to do the same...

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 12:51 pm
It's healthier to allow expression than "enhancement". "Enhancement" is not necessary.

realsilver

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 8:13 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
It's healthier to allow expression than "enhancement". "Enhancement" is not necessary.

What does that even mean?

Stars

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 8:21 pm
Whenever they want it. Not something worth fighting over in my opinion.

2gether

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 3:02 am
There is makeup and then makeup

I wore foundation from when I was much younger because of acne
Blush, lipgloss, etc late highschool

rachel6543

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 3:07 am
Age 2? LOL My toddler wants to wear makeup whenever I put it on. I only wear it for work/shabbos. I let her put on a tiny bit of blush.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 4:55 am
My secular mil bought dd (4) makeup on a recent outing. Needless to say, it 'disappeared' quickly.
I grew up non religious and used loads of makeup because I felt I was really ugly. Looking back, it was so sad and wrong. I want to ensure my DDs have a strong self image before they even touch the stuff, and teach them that's there's absolutely nothing wrong with a bare face. I try to lead by example by going without makeup too and only using it sparingly for shabbos, events etc.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics