Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
How do you pick a name if you can’t agree to a name
Previous  1  2  3  Next

banana123

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 12:16 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Yeah I was thinking of mixing names lol

For a boy I’m having a hard time with Avigdor (so hard for me to say but...)
So far for any future girls we agreed on
Avigail
Malka
Mirel (idk what kind of name it is but I like the sound of it lol)
Hadassah
Batya

I know it’s far ahead on the future but I like to think about a daughter lol

Think - but don't stress. Smile

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:06 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Yeah I was thinking of mixing names lol

For a boy I’m having a hard time with Avigdor (so hard for me to say but...)
So far for any future girls we agreed on
Avigail
Malka
Hadassah
Batya

I know it’s far ahead on the future but I like to think about a daughter lol

I'm a Hadas (Not a Hadassah) it's more out there too but definitely biblical!

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:55 pm
Why don’t you name after a big Tzadik or well known Rebbetzin when you have your next? It’s very meaningful for a neshama to carry the name of a great person.

Aylat

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 3:20 pm
Our most recent baby we were up till 2 am the night before his brit trying to agree on a name. We chose something neither of us had thought of before and BH I love it!

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 3:38 pm
You can’t really plan if there is no pregnancy or gender now. Let’s say you have your next baby during the week of Purim? Very likely you will want to name the baby Esther or Mordechai. Or let’s say you have a boy the week we read the Torah about moshe rabeinu being born? You might choose the name moshe. Or yocheved for a girl...
if you’re not naming after anyone wait and see when the next baby will arrive.

PeanutMama

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 4:40 pm
(-_-)
Is there something wrong with thinking about a future child? Totally not stressing about it. Maybe more like dreaming about it since my baby is still a baby.
I just happen to love looking forward to more children iyH and thinking hm what am I gonna name him or her?

PeanutMama

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 4:43 pm
Also why is Elana and Avigail not common in chasidish communities??
That boggles my mind
Just pretty names really.
I love the name Avigail because it means “joy to our father” and it resonates with me for some reason.

I reaaaally don’t want my kid to be another Sara/Rochel/Rivka/Leah/Faigy/Esther/Miriam (which one of these names is part of my name—so no) and Yoel/Yossi/Chaim/Baruch etc

I can do a combination.....

Last edited by PeanutMama on Tue, Jun 16 2020, 4:47 pm; edited 2 times in total

RuralIma

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 4:45 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
(-_-)
Is there something wrong with thinking about a future child? Totally not stressing about it. Maybe more like dreaming about it since my baby is still a baby.
I just happen to love looking forward to more children iyH and thinking hm what am I gonna name him or her?

Nothing wrong with it, I do the same thing. I've been dreaming about baby names since I was a kid haha. Every once in a while I'll find an old list in an old notebook along with other things I wanted for my future like being a surgeon or living in a castle LOL

PeanutMama

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 4:47 pm
RuralIma wrote:
Nothing wrong with it, I do the same thing. I've been dreaming about baby names since I was a kid haha. Every once in a while I'll find an old list in an old notebook along with other things I wanted for my future like being a surgeon or living in a castle LOL

Hehe. Yeah idk from previous posts here I somehow got the vibe that we’re not supposed to think of future kids until we’re pregnant with them :/

keym

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 4:59 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Hehe. Yeah idk from previous posts here I somehow got the vibe that we’re not supposed to think of future kids until we’re pregnant with them :/

Some people in my circles don't.
But ime it's mainly because they name after people who are not alive so it's weird.
Me, I have the next 15 kids names planned out LOL
But the truth is that I've changed. The entire pregnancy my son was Moshe Yaakov (not real name). Then he was born and I realized that he just wasn't. He was Moshe Yosef called Moishy (again not real name).

RuralIma

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 5:04 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

There's nothing wrong with dreaming and thinking of names. Everyone does something different. Some people choose names based on the time of year/season/holiday, only name after relatives,etc so thinking of names ahead of time doesn't really work until you know the time of year. And then there are people who just choose names they love and enjoy thinking of names. My husband and I were thinking of names a few months ago even though my body sucks it's fun to think about what we would choose if I could get pregnant again. It doesn't mean we're going to use any of the names, when I was pregnant with our son we picked a completely different name, it's just fun.

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 5:25 pm
My husband and I had very few names we both liked. Our firstborn was named after my husband’s grandfather. I LOVE the name now, but I’ll admit I wasn’t the biggest fan when I first heard it. One night when I was around 7 months along I had this instinctive, crystal clear sense that “that’s his name.” And it was and it fits him perfectly.

My daughter’s name is interesting because while we had known for years that we wanted to give her a specific middle name after a relative, I had a few favorite first name ideas. None of them felt right once I was pregnant though. My grandmother passed away during that pregnancy and within minutes of finding out, I was 100% sure that would be her name. It fits her perfectly and even though I never previously considered that name at all, it became my all time favorite girls name.

My younger son’s name was where we had the most disagreement. Every suggestion was vetoed left and right. We had almost no shared ideas. We kept circling around the same few names for a while but everything was too “random,” especially to my husband who wanted a rock solid reason for choosing a name. We eventually found the perfect name and it was really cool how it happened. I had insisted on a nightly meeting to brainstorm names and day after day nothing came of it. Then one night we both started off all excited that we had the right name... and it was the same name for the same reasons. It was so nice to be in sync with each other like that! And BH we got there eventually, because by that time I was due really soon!

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 5:27 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

Nah. I dreamed of names my whole life. I love names and I love planning and dreaming. I was really surprised that none of my perfect favorite names felt right when there was an actual real baby involved. It’s just something to be aware of, that might happen. I didn’t believe it would, but it did. You just never know. :-)

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 5:51 pm
I know a chassidishe girl avigail. She’s a lot of fun.. everyone loves her.
Turns out she moved to Israel and it’s a common name there.

amother
White

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 8:16 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

Mirel is a nickname for Miriam.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 8:20 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:

OH. 🤯
WELL.😄
My husbands gonna be disappointed. That’s part of my two names lol. 😬

RuralIma

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 8:22 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
OH. 🤯
WELL.😄
My husbands gonna be disappointed. That’s part of my two names lol. 😬

It can be a first name or part of a first name also, I know someone who had it as their name and not as a nickname.

LiLIsraeli

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 3:56 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:

Not necessarily! I know a family that has both a Miriam and a Mirel. They are two separate names.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 4:26 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:
Not necessarily! I know a family that has both a Miriam and a Mirel. They are two separate names.

Yes, one is Hebrew and one is Yiddish

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 4:35 pm
keym wrote:
Some people in my circles don't.
But ime it's mainly because they name after people who are not alive so it's weird.
Me, I have the next 15 kids names planned out LOL
But the truth is that I've changed. The entire pregnancy my son was Moshe Yaakov (not real name). Then he was born and I realized that he just wasn't. He was Moshe Yosef called Moishy (again not real name).

Similar!
My entire pregnancy the same was Shoshana Dina. Then she was born and we chose to name her plain Shoshana.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names