Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do you ever cook duck
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:21 pm
Why no one serves duck? Is it good. I don’t think I never ate duck.

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:30 pm
I have a fond memory of eating duck sometimes as a child... but haven't eaten any since adulthood...

amother
White

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:33 pm
It has gotten very expensive. I used to make it 2x per year, DH bday and Chanukah, but at >$8/lb, $45 and feeds 4, it is just unaffordable

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:35 pm
I love duck. It's expensive but no more so than other luxury food items. I much prefer duck to beef.

I either make a version that replicates my Bubbe's with lots of garlic and a crispy skin or I make a version that Tyler Florence created which produces a duck with Asian flavors which replicate the kind of roast duck you would get in a super high quality Chinese restaurant - of which there are no kosher ones I have ever eaten in.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:44 pm
Amarante wrote:
I love duck. It's expensive but no more so than other luxury food items. I much prefer duck to beef.

I either make a version that replicates my Bubbe's with lots of garlic and a crispy skin or I make a version that Tyler Florence created which produces a duck with Asian flavors which replicate the kind of roast duck you would get in a super high quality Chinese restaurant - of which there are no kosher ones I have ever eaten in.

Can you please post the recipe

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can you please post the recipe

Well my Bubbe's recipe is just lots of garlic inside :-). However, you need to prick the skin so that the fat is rendered and the skin gets crispy. Add other aromatics inside and rub well with salt and pepper.

If you mean Tyler Florence's version, it is a fabulous recipe if you like Asian flavors. It achieves the crisp skin by steaming it first and then crisping it in the oven. This is a great cooking technique for duck because it keeps the meat moist while also getting crisp skin. I've made it quite a bit to universal acclaim LOL

If you don't have Five Spice Powder, it's readily available anywhere spices are sold.

Tyler Florence Chinese Restaurant Duck

Ingredients

1 whole (4 to 5 pound) duck
1 tablespoon Chinese five-spice powder
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
5 big slices fresh ginger
4 garlic cloves
1/2 bunch green onions
1 tangerine,peel cut in big strips
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce

Directions

Duck is notoriously a fatty bird, to diminish the fat and produce a crispy skin, begin by trimming the excess fat from the neck and body. Rinse the duck, inside and out, and pat dry thoroughly with paper towels. Combine the Chinese five-spice, sugar, and salt in a small bowl. Rub the spice mixture all over the duck, inside and out. Salt and five-spice powder makes a fragrant dry marinade, which draws some of the moisture from the duck so that the spices penetrate. Stuff the duck cavity with the aromatics: the ginger, garlic, green onions, and tangerine peel. Fold the wing tips back under the duck and tie the legs together with kitchen string. Poke the duck breast a few times, piercing the skin.

Place a roasting pan on the stovetop over 2 burners and fill with 2-inches of water, turn the heat to medium. Set a V-rack insert inside the pan and lay the duck on the rack, breast-side up. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Steam the duck for 45 minutes, checking the water level periodically. Steaming the duck first melts away some of the fat and shrinks the skin.

In a small saucepan combine the vinegar, honey, and soy sauce over low heat. Cook and stir for 5 minutes until thick. The duck will be lacquered with the sweet glaze, which caramelizes during roasting, making the skin crisp and brown.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Take the foil off the duck, remove the rack with the duck, and pour out the water and all the fat that has rendered out (this is great to use in other dishes like fried rice.) Put the rack with the duck back inside the roasting pan. Baste the duck with the vinegar mixture, until all the skin is completely coated in the glaze. Stick the whole thing in the oven. Roast the duck for 1 hour, basting periodically with any remaining glaze to set in a deep mahogany color. Tent the breast with some foil if it gets too dark. The legs will wiggle easily when it's done. Carve and serve.

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Jun 25 2020, 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:52 pm
There's a lot of fat and very little meat on a duck, and it's very expensive. You need a few birds to feed most families. So it's not really worth the effort on a regular basis.

On the other hand, it's delicious!

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 2:54 pm
In the very unlikely event you have leftover duck meat, here is his recipe for Duck Fried Rice. Of course if one takes the bones and carefully picks out meat, there might be enough duck meat.

You need to use cold rice for good fried rice or else the grains become mushy.

Duck Fried Rice With Napa Cabbage

Recipe by Tyler Florence

Ingredients

5 tablespoons peanut oil
2 shallots, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
Pinch red pepper flakes
1 small head Napa cabbage, cored and chopped
1 (8-ounce) can straw mushrooms, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup frozen peas, run under cool water for 2 minutes to thaw
1 generous pinch kosher salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 pint cooked long-grain white rice
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 cup cooked duck meat, cut in pieces
Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish

Directions

Heat 3 tablespoons of the peanut oil in a wok or large non-stick skillet over medium-high flame. Give the oil a minute to heat up, then add the shallots, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes; stir-fry for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the cabbage, mushrooms, and peas, stir-fry until the cabbage is wilted and soft, about 8 minutes; season with a nice pinch of salt. Remove the vegetables to a side platter and wipe out the wok.

Put the pan back on the heat and coat with the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. When the oil is hot, pour the eggs into the center of the pan. Scramble the egg lightly, then let it set without stirring so it stays in big pieces. Fold in the rice and toss with the egg to combined well, breaking up the rice clumps with the back of a spatula. Return the sauteed vegetables to the pan and moisten with the soy sauce. Toss everything together to heat through and season again with salt. Spoon the fried rice out onto a serving platter, lay the pieces of duck on top and garnish with cilantro.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 5:11 pm
Amarante, do you think I can subsitute wine vinegar with white or balsamic vinegar? Thanks!

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 5:34 pm
Raisin wrote:
Amarante, do you think I can subsitute wine vinegar with white or balsamic vinegar? Thanks!

Do you mean subbing for the rice wine vinegar. Rice wine vinegar is fairly mild so white vinegar wouldn’t work because white vinegar is very stong.

Balsamic is generally a mild vinegar so it would be a better sub or if you have cider vinegar that would be a good sub as it is also fairly mild with a sweet aspect to the flavoring.

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 5:35 pm
Duck is very expensive and incredibly fatty. By the time you finish cooking it, half of it has literally melted away and you're left with a chickadee swimming in grease. Between watching their budgets and watching their waistlines, people are shying away.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 5:42 pm
zaq wrote:
Duck is very expensive and incredibly fatty. By the time you finish cooking it, half of it has literally melted away and you're left with a chickadee swimming in grease. Between watching their budgets and watching their waistlines, people are shying away.

Well cooked duck isn’t fatty. Poorly cooked duck has fat under the skin because it isn’t rendered instead of crispy skin.

Duck is definitely expensive but worth the splurge to me. I also compare cost to what even a mediocre meal costs in a restaurant and I would rather eat duck at home versus chicken or salmon at a restaurant. Very Happy

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 6:24 pm
zaq wrote:

LOVE duck. One of my favorite recipes is Duck L'Orange.

The key to not getting "swimming in grease" duck is to put them on a roasting rack in the pan so that the grease leaves the duck and goes on the bottom. Put some sweet potatoes and regular potatoes on the bottom and YUM. Make sure to score the skin to help the fat go out.

You can also ask your local butcher to rotisserie the duck for you. Instant fat removal and crispy skin. I'll do that sometimes, but usually I'll just ask the butcher to cut it into eights. Usually, my go-to recipe is to roast it simply with salt, and then in the last half hour of roasting, baste it with a concentrated sauce like balsamic strawberry or a honey/soy/ginger sauce.

Any leftovers (and I mean any) can be used for duck egg rolls.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 6:43 pm
I love ducks, but this thread is triggering! Surprised

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 6:43 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:

Cannibalism? LOL LOL

iyar

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:44 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:

No worries. Amarante is a gentle person and an excellent cook. She would never roast a rubber duck.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:47 pm
Duck is very tasty. I rarely make it since dh doesn't like it and the kids don't think it's any better than chicken. Growing up we had it on shabbos chanukah as a treat. I had to stop that tradition when I realized I wasn't "treating" anyone but me!

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:51 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Duck is very tasty. I rarely make it since dh doesn't like it and the kids don't think it's any better than chicken. Growing up we had it on shabbos chanukah as a treat. I had to stop that tradition when I realized I wasn't "treating" anyone but me!

You could treat yourself to a duck breast which are sold separately and much easier to cook. They come in a boneless variety and very simple to pan sauté or grill.

And let the rest of the family eat chicken. LOL LOL

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:52 pm
Amarante wrote:
You could treat yourself to a duck breast which are sold separately and much easier to cook. They come in a boneless variety and very simple to pan sauté or grill.

And let the rest of the family eat chicken. LOL LOL

Sounds good - I should do that!

egam

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 9:17 pm
I love duck. It’s definitely my favourite. Growing up, we always had roasted duck stuffed with apples for my birthday. I still try to have it though it’s much more expensive. And we need at least two for my family.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen