Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
"Masks don't protect you; they protect others"
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 12:09 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Aliavi, are you committing to wearing masks FOREVER?

Because you might transmit cold, or flu or some other virus. Covid-19 is not the ONLY virus out there.

I don't know why I'm bothering... but proportionally, covid-19 is more deadly than the flu and cold. Also more contagious.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 12:56 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
There were projections that, without interventions, covid would have killed 40 million people this year. That's .5% of the entire world population.

Is that what you're advocating? Because that's what will get you herd immunity.

There were projections that plastic bags were going to destroy our economy...

Im kinda sick of all these mask threads. If you want to wear one, go ahead.

Dont try to bring me statistics how they help, when there is no proof otherwise. Dont try to tell me how we "saved people" when we actually destroyed many. The fact that less people died than predicted, is because everything on the media is exaggerated. And we know people died from ventilators and starvation as well....

So, go ahead and cover your face if u wish..cover in gloves...Soak in sanitizer...
I think the world has gone nuts...
Btw my elderly parents think so too. They refuse to wear a mask.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 12:59 pm
In some countries, it is expected that you wear a mask if you are sick.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 1:00 pm
#BestBubby wrote:

That's why nobody takes the Mask-Fascists seriously.

How can anyone take people seriously if they call people "Mask-Fascists"?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 1:11 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
There were projections that plastic bags were going to destroy our economy...

Im kinda sick of all these mask threads. If you want to wear one, go ahead.

Dont try to bring me statistics how they help, when there is no proof otherwise. Dont try to tell me how we "saved people" when we actually destroyed many. The fact that less people died than predicted, is because everything on the media is exaggerated. And we know people died from ventilators and starvation as well....

So, go ahead and cover your face if u wish..cover in gloves...Soak in sanitizer...
I think the world has gone nuts...
Btw my elderly parents think so too. They refuse to wear a mask.

By not wearing a mask, they're not saying that they don't think masks work. They're saying that they really don't care if they infect and kill others.

I'm kind of tired of people claiming that's fine.

Go ahead. Inject yourself with covid then go and cough all over your parents. I honestly don't care about your life. I care about my life, and my parents, and my kids.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 1:30 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
By not wearing a mask, they're not saying that they don't think masks work. They're saying that they really don't care if they infect and kill others.

Go ahead. Inject yourself with covid then go and cough all over your parents. I honestly don't care about your life. I care about my life, and my parents, and my kids.

This is very dramatic. And not accurate. They don't believe they are killing anyone. You believe they are.

Stop. You can believe one thing and the other person can believe another thing. And they can clash. And it's possible even that neither is an absolute truth.

You don't know really why anyone does or doesn't wear a mask. If they have asthma or anxiety or even narcissistic personality disorder. Or it's idealogical. There's a million reasons ... I'm just weary of believing one of them is not caring about your life.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 1:36 pm
This could affect the economy. I will only go where I feel safe while other people will only go where they feel comfortable. Maybe stores can have mask hours and bare faced hours so that germaphobes and those who want to attend Covid parties can all be accommodated.
As I have said before; I won't shop local if I don't feel safe. It's a shame that politics rather than science is behind a basic health decision.
Those who are against masks probably won't mind having surgery without the surgeon wearing one since they are basically worthless Confused Scratching Head

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 1:42 pm
Ora in town wrote:
I'll explain it.

The main problem with Covid19, the main reason for its huge spread is that there are many asymptomatic carriers and that it is spread through droplet infection, through the air.

Sars 1 was much more deadly than this Sars2. But it could be eradicated in humans after 10'000 cases more or less. Why? Because people became infectious only a few days after onset of the symptoms. So you knew who had it, could isolate those persons, and the virus (which also spread through droplet infection from human to human) went away.

So given the virus spreads through droplet infection.
Given you don't know who is infectuous.
Given infectuous people don't know they are spreading the virus.

The best protection is to keep people from spreading the virus around them, by wearing a mask that will catch the droplets with the virus before they get into the air.

Can you follow me so far?

A surgical mask has this property.

So you wear a mask, for the case where you have the virus, but don't know it, so that you will not spread it around you.

Can you still follow me?

If you are at risk of dying from the virus when you catch it, because you belong to the risk group, you should protect yourself from catching the virus.
If you work in an environment where you know that the virus is present, you should protect yourself from the virus.

In this case you wear a well-fitted N95 mask, that will prevent the virus from entering your respiratory tract, even if it is around you.

Got it?

No, you keep repeating the same thing, but are not answering the question.
If the mask that a person wears will catch and block the droplets he expels, then the mask that another person wears will block those same droplets from the outside.

Quote:
It's been my understanding that stopping the relatively large droplets from the person that sneezes or exhales is easier than stopping air that has tiny virus particles diffused in it from getting INTO someone.

But those tiny particles are getting into the air even if a person wears a mask.

And this theory that you don't need a mask if you're outside and 6 feet apart, doesn't make much sense either. If the particles stay in the air, then anyone passing by the spot where an infected person coughed, even 5 minutes later, will he inhaling those particles.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 1:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No, you keep repeating the same thing, but are not answering the question.
If the mask that a person wears will catch and block the droplets he expels, then the mask that another person wears will block those same droplets from the outside.

But those tiny particles are getting into the air even if a person wears a mask.

And this theory that you don't need a mask if you're outside and 6 feet apart, doesn't make much sense either. If the particles stay in the air, then anyone passing by the spot where an infected person coughed, even 5 minutes later, will he inhaling those particles.

If I wear a mask, and you have corona and aren't wearing a mask - I DO have protection, but less. Because my mask doesn't full fit over every area, there's a chance particles will get in. Now if you are wearing a mask, less particles will out into the air, and I have less of of a chance of it coming in.

Even if we BOTH wear masks it could still get in. There's a chance. But it's our achrayut and hishtsadlut to lower the possibility.

If we are outdoors and 6 ft apart I won't wear a mask as all your particles of corona will be evaporated into the outdoor air.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 2:25 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:

Don't tell US what WE think - it is a LIE.

This is what I think:

1. There is virtually zero risk of infecting someone else while passing by outdoors, so I will not wear a mask outdoors.

2. Wearing masks outdoors signals to government that you are buying into their false hysteria and will prolong the lockdown.

3. Lockdowns are destroying millions of businesses and jobs and will also lead to deaths from suicide, overdose and increase in mental illness and divorce. Fact is people who are unemployed are much more likely to die than those who are employed.

4. People at high risk (elderly / sick) should self quarantine as my mother does.

Last edited by #BestBubby on Thu, Jun 18 2020, 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 2:27 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Don't tell US what WE think - it is a LIE.

This is what I think:

1. There is virtually zero risk of infecting someone else while passing by outdoors, so I will not wear a mask outdoors.

2. Wearing masks outdoors signals to government that you are buying into their false hysteria and will prolong the lockdown.

3. Lockdowns are destroying millions of businesses and jobs and will also lead to deaths from suicide, overdose and increase in mental illness and divorce. Fact is people who are unemployed are much more likely to die than those who are employed.

And yet you're refusing to wear masks, which businesses are requiring for opening.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 2:29 pm
While some governments may tell people to wear masks outdoors, I don't think that the American government promotes that.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 2:30 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
And yet you're refusing to wear masks, which businesses are requiring for opening.

I wear masks in stores but not while walking outside.

And government refuses to allow small businesses to open WITH Masks although they allow their big business DONORS to open while destroying their competition!

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 2:30 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

She said somewhere else that she shops in a mask.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 2:33 pm
#BestBubby wrote:

And government refuses to allow small businesses to open WITH Masks although they allow their big business DONORS to open while destroying their competition!

I agree that they should have been allowed to serve one or two customers at a time in the small shops. Some grocery stores also had a quota. The big stores were not necessarily safer. Luckily, it looks like NYC is opening up soon and here in Monsey they have been open.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 2:44 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Maybe people should keep wearing masks forever. The lightweight ones are less effective, but they're comfortable and somewhat helpful. In the winter, it can help keep your face warm.

Hey, why not just get fitted for a burqa already. You can keep all your germs to yourself and never have to worry about fashion again. So nice to wake up each day and already know what you're going to wear.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 2:50 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Hey, why not just get fitted for a burqa already. You can keep all your germs to yourself and never have to worry about fashion again. So nice to wake up each day and already know what you're going to wear.

Hey! Cool idea! Very Happy

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 3:01 pm
#BestBubby wrote:

Please cite examples of big stores being able to open while small stores selling identical items are not permitted to open.

For example, an example of a small pharmacy that also sells toys being denied the right to open, while a larger store with a pharmacy and toy department was allowed to open.

naomi2

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 3:41 pm
Ora in town wrote:
I'll explain it.

The main problem with Covid19, the main reason for its huge spread is that there are many asymptomatic carriers and that it is spread through droplet infection, through the air.

Sars 1 was much more deadly than this Sars2. But it could be eradicated in humans after 10'000 cases more or less. Why? Because people became infectious only a few days after onset of the symptoms. So you knew who had it, could isolate those persons, and the virus (which also spread through droplet infection from human to human) went away.

So given the virus spreads through droplet infection.
Given you don't know who is infectuous.
Given infectuous people don't know they are spreading the virus.

The best protection is to keep people from spreading the virus around them, by wearing a mask that will catch the droplets with the virus before they get into the air.

Can you follow me so far?

A surgical mask has this property.

So you wear a mask, for the case where you have the virus, but don't know it, so that you will not spread it around you.

Can you still follow me?

If you are at risk of dying from the virus when you catch it, because you belong to the risk group, you should protect yourself from catching the virus.
If you work in an environment where you know that the virus is present, you should protect yourself from the virus.

In this case you wear a well-fitted N95 mask, that will prevent the virus from entering your respiratory tract, even if it is around you.

Got it?
[b]

if vulnerable people need to wear masks with complete coverage
then why do the people who are not at risk need to wear masks at all?
vulnerable and old people should stay home and let everyone else catch it, recover, and provide herd immunity for the community. that's the plan with the least collateral damage.

also your post is very condescending. that's not the way people talk to each other on this site.

Ora in town

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 3:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

OK, I'll go a bit more slowly.

There are two kinds of droplets, the bigger ones, over 20micrometer, and the smaller, under 10 micrometer...

Both kinds of droplets are stopped from spreading if they are stopped by a surgical mask (which is not damp) straight in front of the mouth/nose.

If they are not stopped by a mask, the bigger droplets are projected till about 1,5m, and they fall down quickly (so then they are on the floor or on the surfaces that were under the place where they were ejected).

The smaller droplets, hower, do not fall down. They dry out, while still in the air, and form little balls of virus that circulate in the air.

Those balls of virus get blown away and diluted rapidly in the open air.

But they can accumulate in closed rooms.

And the more virus you inhale, the greater the chance of becoming a carrier.

So if you work in a closed space, downstream from someone who constantly exhales those virus droplets, and you inhale them over a longer period of time, you might get sick.

If the person who is exhaling the virus was wearing a mask, the virus would not get to your place, you would not inhale it, you would not get sick.

If you still work in a closed room, downstream from someone who exhales virus constantly (and does not protect you by wearing a maks) and you wear a surgical mask, you would be somewhat protectec, but not entirely. Because you would still inhale virus with the air that goes around the mask.

if you want to be completely protected from inhaling the virus in the air, you would have to wear a well-fitted N95 mask, where all the air you inhale goes through a filter, that will filter the virus so that you don't inhale it.

Was this clear enough?
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics