Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
"Masks don't protect you; they protect others"
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

aliavi

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 1:07 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Aliavi, are you committing to wearing masks FOREVER?

Because you might transmit cold, or flu or some other virus. Covid-19 is not the ONLY virus out there.

I did say I’m tired of wearing them and I pointed out that there is more than one sickness that is out there. It’s not possible to prevent others from getting within 6 feet of me. I do my best but I have to go places like the post office and to get groceries where the isles aren’t over 6 feet wide. Walking around corners can cause an unexpected meeting between people. For these instances I’m relying on the mask. Masks are required where I live and I follow the rules.

Ora in town

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 1:11 pm
naomi2 wrote:
if vulnerable people need to wear masks with complete coverage
[b]then why do the people who are not at risk need to wear masks at all?
vulnerable and old people should stay home and let everyone else catch it, recover, and provide herd immunity for the community. that's the plan with the least collateral damage..

Because you can't control the virus. Once it's out, you can't control who will be hit...
You can't allow the virus to circulate in the community uncontained, because you will never know where it will end up...

By reducing virus circulation, you reduce the risk of at-risk people getting infected.

Also, it is a matter of solidarity.

Read through the post of an Ima with an at-risk husband.
If she is protected from the virus, her husband is too.
If she has to isolate from her husband, family life becomes impossible.
Should she send her children to school, and risk infecting the husband?
Should they separate for the next 2 years, so that she and the children can circulate freely and he is protected?

The society at large has to display solidarity with its weakest members.
I can't understand why this is so difficult to understand...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 3:01 pm
Ora in town wrote:
OK, I'll go a bit more slowly.

There are two kinds of droplets, the bigger ones, over 20micrometer, and the smaller, under 10 micrometer...

Both kinds of droplets are stopped from spreading if they are stopped by a surgical mask (which is not damp) straight in front of the mouth/nose.

If they are not stopped by a mask, the bigger droplets are projected till about 1,5m, and they fall down quickly (so then they are on the floor or on the surfaces that were under the place where they were ejected).

The smaller droplets, hower, do not fall down. They dry out, while still in the air, and form little balls of virus that circulate in the air.

Those balls of virus get blown away and diluted rapidly in the open air.

But they can accumulate in closed rooms.

And the more virus you inhale, the greater the chance of becoming a carrier.

So if you work in a closed space, downstream from someone who constantly exhales those virus droplets, and you inhale them over a longer period of time, you might get sick.

If the person who is exhaling the virus was wearing a mask, the virus would not get to your place, you would not inhale it, you would not get sick.

If you still work in a closed room, downstream from someone who exhales virus constantly (and does not protect you by wearing a maks) and you wear a surgical mask, you would be somewhat protectec, but not entirely. Because you would still inhale virus with the air that goes around the mask.

if you want to be completely protected from inhaling the virus in the air, you would have to wear a well-fitted N95 mask, where all the air you inhale goes through a filter, that will filter the virus so that you don't inhale it.

Was this clear enough?

I heard and understood you the first time.
You are not trying to hear what I'm saying though. Maybe I'm not saying it enough slowly Rolling Eyes

I just don't have the koach to argue with you anymore. G'bye!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 9:50 pm
Just a question for you, Ora in town (or anyone else)

A theoretical situation:

Person A and person B are in a room together. Person A has corona. There is only one surgical mask available. If you were person B and wanted to protect yourself, would you really want that person A should wear the mask, rather than yourself?

I think person B would be safer wearing it.

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 9:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just a question for you, Ora in town (or anyone else)

A theoretical situation:

Person A and person B are in a room together. Person A has corona. There is only one surgical mask available. If you were person B and wanted to protect yourself, would you really want that person A should wear the mask, rather than yourself?

I think person B would be safer wearing it.

If person B wants to be protected, person B should wear a N95 mask.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 9:57 pm
Ora in town wrote:
If person B wants to be protected, person B should wear a N95 mask.

That wasn't an option. What would you do in the situation, as is.

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 9:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That wasn't an option. What would you do in the situation, as is.

Procure a N95 mask.
I think it's indispensable...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 10:02 pm
Ora in town wrote:
Procure a N95 mask.
I think it's indispensable...

Why wont you answer my question?

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 10:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

We are talking here about a setup where known carriers are quarantined. Every thing else would be irresponsable.

We are not talking about what happens in the quarantine ward.
If you are together with known carriers, it's important to wear a N95 mask. And the known carrier should wear a surgical mask.
And you should not be with them unless it's indispensable.
That's what quarantine is about.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 10:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Because the Truth does not fit Ora in Town's agenda, so dodge the question!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:29 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
This is very dramatic. And not accurate. They don't believe they are killing anyone. You believe they are.

Stop. You can believe one thing and the other person can believe another thing. And they can clash. And it's possible even that neither is an absolute truth.

You don't know really why anyone does or doesn't wear a mask. If they have asthma or anxiety or even narcissistic personality disorder. Or it's idealogical. There's a million reasons ... I'm just weary of believing one of them is not caring about your life.

You're entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts.\

Masks protect other people.

A delusional person can decide that shooting a gun into a crowded room isn't dangerous, but that does not change the fact that it is. And telling me that people can believe different things does not alter the facts.

People with asthma or COPD are still advised to wear a mask.

When you know that failure to wear a mask could harm others, and refuse to do so, you are clearly stating that you don't care if you harm others. If you're tired of hearing that, put on a mask.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:36 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Because the Truth does not fit Ora in Town's agenda, so dodge the question!

Because the question is ridiculous.

Face masks are helpful, but not 100% effective. So no, I don't want to be in a room with anyone with covid, face mask or no. And if I were, I would want to wear an N95, the only type of mask known to be effective for the wearer.

How about you? Would you be willing to spend an hour in a closed room with someone you know has covid, with neither of you wearing a mask? Given that you've repeatedly said that you think that they're worthless. In that circumstance, would you turn down the sick person's offer to wear a mask?

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 2:33 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
You're entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts.\

A delusional person can decide that shooting a gun into a crowded room isn't dangerous, but that does not change the fact that it is. And telling me that people can believe different things does not alter the facts.

When you know that failure to wear a mask could harm others, and refuse to do so, you are clearly stating that you don't care if you harm others. If you're tired of hearing that, put on a mask.

Exactly. Well said!

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 8:17 am

1, Anyone who says WALKING OUTDOORS without a mask is as dangerous as shooting a gun into a crowded room is not rational. YOU are not entitled to your own facts.

2. PER EXPERTS, the chance of infecting someone OUTDOORS, while PASSING BY is virtually zero.

THOSE ARE THE FACTS.

3. Periwinkle, are you promising to wear a Mask FOREVER? Maybe you will infect someone
with the flu or other virus. Covid19 is not the only virus out there, you know.

Let's see if you will commit to wearing a mask forever. If you won't, per YOUR OPINION you are shooting people with a gun!

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 8:22 am
Because the question is ridiculous.

Face masks are helpful, but not 100% effective. So no, I don't want to be in a room with anyone with covid, face mask or no. And if I were, I would want to wear an N95, the only type of mask known to be effective for the wearer.

How about you? Would you be willing to spend an hour in a closed room with someone you know has covid, with neither of you wearing a mask? Given that you've repeatedly said that you think that they're worthless. In that circumstance, would you turn down the sick person's offer to wear a mask?

Periwinkle, you are not entitled to your own facts:

1. I NEVER said masks are worthless. Per EXPERTS, it is not necessary to wear masks while walking OUTDOORS as the possibility of infecting someone just by passing by is virtually zero.

2. No, I am not willing to spend an hour in a closed room with someone with Covid without a mask. Because I never said masks are worthless - YOU MADE THAT UP! I wear masks IN STORES - and have said so many times.

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 8:27 am
#BestBubby wrote:
Periwinkle, you are not entitled to your own facts:

1. I NEVER said masks are worthless. Per EXPERTS, it is not necessary to wear masks while walking OUTDOORS as the possibility of infecting someone just by passing by is virtually zero.

2. No, I am not willing to spend an hour in a closed room with someone with Covid without a mask. Because I never said masks are worthless - YOU MADE THAT UP! I wear masks IN STORES - and have said so many times.

So then, leaving polemics out, what is your position on masks?

What is your position on huge indoor assemblies during the Covid pandemic?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 8:28 am
#BestBubby wrote:
1, Anyone who says WALKING OUTDOORS without a mask is as dangerous as shooting a gun into a crowded room is not rational. YOU are not entitled to your own facts.

2. PER EXPERTS, the chance of infecting someone OUTDOORS, while PASSING BY is virtually zero.

THOSE ARE THE FACTS.

3. Periwinkle, are you promising to wear a Mask FOREVER? Maybe you will infect someone
with the flu or other virus. Covid19 is not the only virus out there, you know.

Let's see if you will commit to wearing a mask forever. If you won't, per YOUR OPINION you are shooting people with a gun!

So the protests were fine, as far as you are concerned, because there is no risk of infection outdoors?

You have repeatedly stated that you object to masks, that they are tyranny (or a similar term) and purely political. Are you now saying that you agree that masks should be mandated indoors?

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 8:46 am
So the protests were fine, as far as you are concerned, because there is no risk of infection outdoors?

You have repeatedly stated that you object to masks, that they are tyranny (or a similar term) and purely political. Are you now saying that you agree that masks should be mandated indoors?

I will answer Your questions if you respond to my refutation.

Will you admit you were mistaken for comparing not wearing a mask to shooting a gun in a crowded room?

Will you admit that I never said that masks are worthless?

Will you answer if you promise to wear a mask FOREVER as there are always viruses?

Miri1

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 8:53 am
Ora in town wrote:
We are talking here about a setup where known carriers are quarantined. Every thing else would be irresponsable.

We are not talking about what happens in the quarantine ward.
If you are together with known carriers, it's important to wear a N95 mask. And the known carrier should wear a surgical mask.
And you should not be with them unless it's indispensable.
That's what quarantine is about.

How about a family member? Someone you live with and care for.
And it wasn't long ago that N95's were not procurable.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 9:44 am
#BestBubby wrote:
I will answer Your questions if you respond to my refutation.

Will you admit you were mistaken for comparing not wearing a mask to shooting a gun in a crowded room?

Will you admit that I never said that masks are worthless?

Will you answer if you promise to wear a mask FOREVER as there are always viruses?

1. Nope. Its a good comparison.

2. I'm not going through every one of your posts. You repeatedly condemn the use of masks as political, and throw the word fascist in for good measure. Do you mean to say that you nevertheless that masks are an efficacious public health measure?

3. I refuse to buy in to your slippery slope, straw man arguments, that if I support wearing a mask to reduce the effects of a pandemic, I must therefore wear a mask when there is no pandemic.

Clearly, you don't want to respond to my questions. So don't. We'll draw our own conclusions about your refusal to respond when the answers don't support your worldview.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics