Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Anyone else seriously considering moving to israel??
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 10:00 pm
Hey- we live in the tri stare area. After all that’s been going on weve been talking more and more about getting out and moving to israel! I have 6 kids ranging from teenagers to babies. We both grew up in town, consider ourselves yeshivish, a little Heimish, husband working but always learning. There’s so much uncertainty about making such a huge life change but we’re carefully thinking about it. We would love to go with a group of culturally similar families so we have a support system there and not as hard an adjustment! Anyone else in similar lifestyle to us considering??

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:45 pm
Already working on paperwork for our application. We are out of here!

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:49 pm
I really really wish I could. I am trying to convince my husband who has some serious reservations.

Rappel

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:52 pm
Great idea, OP - an aliyah support group!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 12:17 am
I have two friends making Aliyah now, not from your circles but they're sick of the craziness going on here and figured if they need to live with craziness, at least it should be their own "family"

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 1:01 am
Rappel wrote:
Great idea, OP - an aliyah support group!

Back in the day, it was called a garin. Ask people who made aliyah in the 70s and 80s. It's not necessary anymore for practical reasons, but I could see why it might be nice for emotional ones.

The truth is that it's a good idea to be in contact with a family who made aliyah recently and is already going through the process. They'll be good practical and emotional support.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 1:22 am
I wish we could seriously consider it, but DH totally doesn't want to. :-(

tree of life

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 1:30 am
Hi I'm. Happy to advise anyone coming to Israel was the best thing fit our family bh
Chanahsgrossman@gmail.com

bobeli

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 1:32 am
Yes, very much in the same situation.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 1:38 am
I wasn't in your situation at all -- not haredi and I was 19 and single. But I made Aliyah 10 years ago and don't regret it. Behatzlacha!

Jewishmom8

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 1:39 am
I love living here. I am here 20 years plus.
I am extremely cautious always about families making aliya. It is not simple for anyone to come with bigger kids.
I do not think anyone should rush into this ever especially with older kids- until now.
Nefersh b nefesh is FLOODED with applications and there are strong reasons for that.
I feel like while you have an opportunity to do things calmly and come on your own terms you should research it and get the ball rolling while you still can.

SacN

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 1:42 am
I've lived in Israel for the last six years and moved here with great reservations after my husband was offered a good job here coming out of grad school, and no offers were forthcoming where we had lived.

So, solely for practical reasons.

I just want to chime in that bH, we're very happy here, fully absorbed and would never (bezras Hashem, bli neder) consider moving back. I didn't speak 5 words of Hebrew and am now fully conversant. I have a great job, my kids are happy, and we love our kehillah.

Israel is a very family and kid focused country, healthcare is great, parnassa takes work but somehow works out (like anywhere else), and despite my reservations about the school system my kids are great kids and doing well.

And, to make things even better, some of my extended family followed me, though I never ever thought that would happen when we came.

There are challenges, ברור. But six years in, we feel mostly past the aliyah/immigration ones, and have for a good while.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 1:58 am
We are here 13 years. BH our entire family are doing amazingly. Miraculously my in laws made aliyah last year, too! We are so happy living here. B'hatzlacha to all who are beginning the process! We are all here for you!

etky

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 2:26 am
Jewishmom8 wrote:
I love living here. I am here 20 years plus.
I am extremely cautious always about families making aliya. It is not simple for anyone to come with bigger kids.
I do not think anyone should rush into this ever especially with older kids- until now.
Nefersh b nefesh is FLOODED with applications and there are strong reasons for that.
I feel like while you have an opportunity to do things calmly and come on your own terms you should research it and get the ball rolling while you still can.

They are reporting a rise of between 200-400% in the US and Britain.
The Jewish Agency is also reporting a 300% rise in aliya applications from France.

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 2:34 am

Last edited by amother on Tue, Aug 17 2021, 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

2gether

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 2:58 am
Just please don't jump into aliyah on a whim!

I know more than one family who moved here before Agudas Israel said that families with teens shouldn't move here and their kids are so mixed up, late 20s and 30s and still can't settle down, OTD, divorced, moved back by themselves, etc.

Also moving here w/o a gameplan to earn a living is a real issue. Americans come here, don't go to Ulpan, can't find a job, live in levels of poverty they would of never dreamed of in the States. Even if the cost of living (food, housing, etc.) is the same as NY, the salaries are much lower!

Yes, NBN and the gov do help with Aliyah, but the help is very limited and limited to who they give it.

Last point, Aliyah is not a hospital just the same way marriage is not a hospital. If you have issues they won't get resolved by moving here. I know people move for a fresh start and because they might not be tied down, but that not a good enough reason to move.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 3:34 am
2gether, that might hold true when a fire isn't burning under one's feet. It's NOT true now. The U.S. is a powder keg waiting to explode. Perhaps killer hornets "heading" eastward (or more likely manipulated). Perhaps Antifa. Perhaps totalitarianism thru 5G and chips. Perhaps crashing economy. Perhaps Arizona FEMA camps force-shared with ex-jailbirds and ISIS on pretext of covid quarantine, and with zero food provided. Ever hear of cannibalism in such situations? Perhaps all the above AND MORE. Can't you see the handwriting on the wall? Don't you realize how utterly diabolical the Deep-State, advised by the sitra achra is? For crying out loud! Crying

blessedflower

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 4:21 am
I couldn't be more happy here. But It's important to take it slowly and do it right. We started the aliyah process a few years ago and decided to put it on hold. When we finally did do it I was 100% ready and in a good place emotionally.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 6:58 am
Wow thanks everyone for your responses! I’m most concerned about my kids fitting in somewhere. I don’t want them to be mixed up, messed up and not fit in. I would need to be really careful where we move. I would never have dreamed to do this alone. That’s why we’re wondering if there will be an influx of ppl like ourselves working on it now because of the current situation here.

Parnassah is a concern, but I do have a good job that I could take with me there. If it’s enough to support us there, hopefully my husband can go back to Kolel there at lease part time.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 7:06 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
2gether, that might hold true when a fire isn't burning under one's feet. It's NOT true now. The U.S. is a powder keg waiting to explode. Perhaps killer hornets "heading" eastward (or more likely manipulated). Perhaps Antifa. Perhaps totalitarianism thru 5G and chips. Perhaps crashing economy. Perhaps Arizona FEMA camps force-shared with ex-jailbirds and ISIS on pretext of covid quarantine, and with zero food provided. Ever hear of cannibalism in such situations? Perhaps all the above AND MORE. Can't you see the handwriting on the wall? Don't you realize how utterly diabolical the Deep-State, advised by the sitra achra is? For crying out loud! Crying

Cannibalism?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions