Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Haifa Area

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 8:28 am
Aliyah was never on our radar but my husband may have a job opportunity in Haifa.

We are perfectly happy in our Northern NJ modern orthodox community and love our local schools. I would like to find a community in the Haifa area that would be a comfortable transition. Here are some things that I think would be helpful:

1) A dati leumi community where women don't necessarily cover their hair and wear pants
2) Enough anglos that we won't feel totally isolated. Neither of us speak Hebrew fluently
3) Schools with strong secular and Judaic studies
4) Easily accessible public transportation
5) The ability to live on one income [my husband works in high tech but I have no idea what salary ranges are]

Can anyone recommend any communities to start looking into?

Success10

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 8:31 am
Zichron Yaakov is not terribly far from there. A really stunning place and it has Anglos. I don't know how many Anglos, but I know there is a MO type community there.

ora_43

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 8:38 am
It's easy to answer this for Haifa because there are so few religious areas Cool

Kiryat Shmuel or Neve Shaanan. That's pretty much it. Nefesh b'Nefesh has a contact person in Kiryat Shmuel if you want.

Kiryat Shmuel is on the coast, so a bit hotter, but also closer to the beach. It's right near the train and metronit lines. Neve Shaanan is up on top of the hill, so nicer weather, and has its own shopping/entertainment area. It's also not far from a mall. OTOH farther from the train, and more of a mixed neighborhood (lots of religious families, but not really a religious neighborhood in the way K. Shmuel is).

AFAIK prices are similar in both neighborhoods. Whether it's doable on one income depends on the income (there's a wide range of salaries in hi tech, depending what exactly you're doing). Also on family size.

Both have decent schools. And youth groups.

If you're willing to live outside Haifa and commute in, Carmiel or Yokneam might also be options. I don't know as much about either of those.

Feel free to PM for more info.

Rappel

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 8:50 am
I remember the Neve Shaanan neighborhood being a nice mix of Anglo and Israeli. The people I met were pleasant and relaxed, and also had strong academic backgrounds.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 6:21 pm
I have relatives who grew up in Neveh Shaanan. It is a beautiful relaxed neighborhood with a strong DL presence and some modern chareidim. There are some Americans, but it's mostly an Israeli community. It's also in a decent location if you're husband works near the Technion or in the tech area at the southern edge of the city.

The only negatives are apartment living and that busses roll by on Shabbat. Haifa in general is more relaxed than much of Israel, maybe because there haven't been any major terror issues in decades.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 6:23 pm
ora_43 wrote:
It's easy to answer this for Haifa because there are so few religious areas Cool

Kiryat Shmuel or Neve Shaanan. That's pretty much it. Nefesh b'Nefesh has a contact person in Kiryat Shmuel if you want.

Is there still a frum community in Ahuza?

ora_43

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 11:22 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Is there still a frum community in Ahuza?

Yes, but it's smaller. The frum people I know in Ahuza don't really love the neighborhood. That could just be my specific friends, of course, just overall, the sense I get is that it's a bit more challenging.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 11:29 pm
I second Zichron Yaakov. I don't know if young families are moving in these days, so it's worth doing some research. But it's the right kind of community for what you describe.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 12:48 am
Zichron is a lovely place that would fit the bill. Not sure how long the commute is to Haifa.
Zichron is a mixed city of course, there is a MO community or dati leumi, but there are also many (most) secular.
It's also a lot more expensive than Haifa AFAIK.
There are also all kinds of yeshuvim, but not sure that's what you're looking for.

grivky

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 12:55 am
For sure check out Zichron Yaakov. Huge Anglo presence there. Maybe Pardes Chana. Maybe Binyamina.
Yokneam illit and Kiryat Tivon have some anglos but I’m not sure they’d have all the Anglo resources you’d be looking for.
This website is new and not fully developed but it is pretty thorough for Zichron and can help get an idea of difference places. https://youratmo.com/
B’hatzlacha!

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 11:05 am
Would you consider one of the yishuvim in the suburbs?
Moreshet is a beautiful DL yishuv with a mix levels of religiosity from middle to very lite...
There is public trans but to live comfortably you do need a car to be comfortable( dh could probably join the commuter vans...
And you'd get a house instead of an apt.

As for salary - high tech can be enough to live on one salary comfortably- but it really varies in the job specifics. What are the numbers?

grivky

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 11:24 am
I didn’t even think about yishuvim in the Galil! Check out Mitzpeh Netofa. Seems to be a nice number of anglos there. 45 min from Haifa. Affordable. Beautiful scenery. Houses.

https://www.nbn.org.il/aliyahp.....tufa/

https://m.facebook.com/ASoftLa.....etofa

amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Would you consider one of the yishuvim in the suburbs?
Moreshet is a beautiful DL yishuv with a mix levels of religiosity from middle to very lite...
There is public trans but to live comfortably you do need a car to be comfortable( dh could probably join the commuter vans...
And you'd get a house instead of an apt.

As for salary - high tech can be enough to live on one salary comfortably- but it really varies in the job specifics. What are the numbers?

oms18

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 2:23 pm
ora_43 wrote:
Yes, but it's smaller. The frum people I know in Ahuza don't really love the neighborhood. That could just be my specific friends, of course, just overall, the sense I get is that it's a bit more challenging.

Any chance you can put me in touch with any of your friends that live/lived in Ahuza that might be willing to share their experience with me? We are seriously considering Ahuza for aliyah this summer, but we are not having the easiest time getting a sense of the religious community there. So far we have had positive feedback, but a few people have mentioned that it is more "modern orthodox" and I am trying to figure out exactly what that means as a whole!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 2:33 pm
My dad has traveled all over the world for business, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, London, you name it.

He said that if he could choose to live anywhere in the world, it would be Haifa.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions