Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
My quarter-life crisis
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 1:17 pm
I hate my job.
I hate my degree.
I hate that I wasted 50 grand going for something that I didn't want to go for.
I hate that I forced myself to be ok with my job and the fact that this is what I will be doing day in and day out until I retire.
I was so relieved when I couldn't work due to covid19.
Dont get me wrong- I love working, I love going out and seeing people, getting dressed, being productive. I just HATE my degree and what I do with it.
Now, I want to go back to work, but not as what I do. I want to do something else. I dont think I will go bakc to school, at least not until I'm older and my kids arent little.
What can I do? I live far flung out of town. I have the whole day today to apply to jobs. Hit me with any and all ideas!

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 1:20 pm
Can you share what your degree is? Maybe there's an out of the box career that utilizes your skills

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 1:28 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Can you share what your degree is? Maybe there's an out of the box career that utilizes your skills

Yeah sure! I am a speech therapist. No offense to any SLPs out there. I appreciate you and what you do. It's just not for me. I did every single thing possible on the speech-therapy job description list. Tried em all. Just not for me, guys.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 1:40 pm
what jobs appeal to you?

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 1:46 pm
What part of the job do you hate?
I know of a speech therapist in Israel who didn't want to work with kids anymore, so she started working with olim to help them develop Israeli accents.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 1:47 pm
Why don't you make a list of your skills that aren't job specific. Presumably aside from the very job related skills, you have other important skills. This is the type of exercise that is used when people are seeking jobs that aren't directly related to their fields or when they have been not working for awhile.

I realize that many on this website don't think highly of a liberal arts education but reasoning skills; writing skills, organization skills; verbal proficiency are all transferable and desirable in many jobs. You probably have those kinds of skills as well as interpersonal skills from your specific job.

As others have posted - what would you like to be doing as a job and what specific aspects of your current job do you dislike?

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 1:55 pm
Delete

ora_43

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 1:55 pm
What parts of being a speech therapist did you like and not like?

Eg, "I like working with people, but it's too repetitive"

or, "I like having coworkers, but I'd rather be doing quiet work on a computer than working with clients all day every day,"

etc.

That might be a good place to start re: thinking what you'd like to do next.

If you're at the quarter-life mark you've got plenty of time to change tracks Smile and having a degree is great, you have a skilled job already so you have a decent baseline. Meaning, you're not desperate, you can wait until something better than what you have comes along.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 2:47 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
what jobs appeal to you?

The jobs that appeal to me require some sort of degree or certification

moonstone

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 2:52 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I know of a speech therapist in Israel who didn't want to work with kids anymore, so she started working with olim to help them develop Israeli accents.

Fascinating, I didn't know this was a thing!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 2:52 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:

I cant put my finger on it. I've covered everything beside for accent reduction. It's impossible to find a job like that here. I've worked with all ages- EI, school aged, geriatrics. I've covered all problems- feeding & swallowing, language, articulation, auditory comp, all the school age kid problems, aphasia, dysphagia, voice. I've worked with all sorts of disabilities. The one I enjoyed the most was auditory rehab. I am fluent in ASL, even though it didnt help me much lol. Either way, it's impossible to find an auditory rehab job where I live. I've been trying for years, and nothing is available

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 2:53 pm
moonstone wrote:
Fascinating, I didn't know this was a thing!

It's called accent reduction. It's pretty cool. But I live in the US in an area where it's not really needed or wanted

Just One

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 2:56 pm
Is you could redo things what would you go for?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 3:00 pm
Amarante wrote:
Why don't you make a list of your skills that aren't job specific. Presumably aside from the very job related skills, you have other important skills. This is the type of exercise that is used when people are seeking jobs that aren't directly related to their fields or when they have been not working for awhile.

I realize that many on this website don't think highly of a liberal arts education but reasoning skills; writing skills, organization skills; verbal proficiency are all transferable and desirable in many jobs. You probably have those kinds of skills as well as interpersonal skills from your specific job.

As others have posted - what would you like to be doing as a job and what specific aspects of your current job do you dislike?

That's a good idea!
My skills include anything in the creative and artsy category. I love decorating, designing, sewing, painting, building. I am a certified makeup artist and hair stylist. I do everyone's wigs here and I sell makeup as my paid hobbies.
I also do have all of the skills you mentioned above, but I barely use them.
I'm not exactly sure what I dislike about my job....part of it is that I was forced into doing it while really wanted to go to design school or med school (don't laugh! I know they are worlds apart, but I love love love medicine). Design school didn't happen because "it's too competitive, you'll never make it", and med school never happened because "don't you want to be a mother???"
I had zero interest in any of the therapies, I guess maybe because of the repetitiveness and IT'S SO BORING and feels pointless to me and I don't like making goals and I feel like idk what the heck im doing half the time and all the paperwork blaaaahhh… Point is, I tried to make it work for me. I failed. I have never admitted it before today, but here we are.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 3:03 pm
ora_43 wrote:
What parts of being a speech therapist did you like and not like?

Eg, "I like working with people, but it's too repetitive"

or, "I like having coworkers, but I'd rather be doing quiet work on a computer than working with clients all day every day,"

etc.

That might be a good place to start re: thinking what you'd like to do next.

If you're at the quarter-life mark you've got plenty of time to change tracks Smile and having a degree is great, you have a skilled job already so you have a decent baseline. Meaning, you're not desperate, you can wait until something better than what you have comes along.

hmmmm I guess it is the repetitiveness and the boringness. The reason I chose speech out of all the therapies was because I liked that there was a neuro class each semester, and I love neuro. School was awesome. But I burnt out during my externship

Just One

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 3:05 pm
Since you mentioned an interest in medicine, might you enjoy working in a hospital setting? I've experienced speech therapists being a part of the medical team in diagnosing, testing etc

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 3:07 pm
Just One wrote:
Since you mentioned an interest in medicine, might you enjoy working in a hospital setting? I've experienced speech therapists being a part of the medical team in diagnosing, testing etc

The only hospital jobs available here are with stroke victims. I would be doing aphasia and dysphagia, my 2 least favorite types of speech therapy.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 3:21 pm
Start a children's theater program.

You can use your experience with speech to coach kids with lines and accents.

Your experience with wigs and makeup, decorating and building will be invaluable.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 3:30 pm
Quote:
I don't like making goals and I feel like idk what the heck im doing half the time and all the paperwork blaaaahhh… Point is, I tried to make it work for me. I failed. I have never admitted it before today, but here we are.

Do you feel like your work is pointless? Like the work isn't rewarding? Or that you're just not good at what you do?

My daughter has Down syndrome and we have worked with so many different types of therapists over the years. But the one area that has the most noticeable effect on her functioning is speech. Being able to help her express herself verbally is the biggest gift you can give her. To watch her light up when she says something and finally, finally we can understand her. It gives her such power, such a feeling of personhood.

I don't know if you're looking for a pep talk or just for a way out, but even if your work is boring it is NOT pointless! I know many jobs that are just busy work but this is an area where you can have a measurable impact on someone's life.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 3:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's called accent reduction. It's pretty cool. But I live in the US in an area where it's not really needed or wanted

How do you know it's not needed or wanted?
Are there no immigrants?
Online? Work with language schools all over the world?
That's really a big thing for many people who want to learn english, and don't even know that there would be an efficient way to learn proper pronounciation in english...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics