Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
My quarter-life crisis
Previous  1  2

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 12:37 pm
Why don’t you just build up your wig and makeup business if you already are doing that?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 12:51 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
How do you know it's not needed or wanted?
Are there no immigrants?
Online? Work with language schools all over the world?
That's really a big thing for many people who want to learn english, and don't even know that there would be an efficient way to learn proper pronounciation in english...

I looked for accent reduction jobs, and there are none. Most immigrants don't care about their accents.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 12:56 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Why don’t you just build up your wig and makeup business if you already are doing that?

Im at max here lol. There are maybe 30 sheitel wearers here, and aa few style their own. Everyone else sends to me. And noone ever needs their makeup done. For bar mitzvahs, they'll do it themselves. Weddings are in a different state

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 12:58 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Quote:
I don't like making goals and I feel like idk what the heck im doing half the time and all the paperwork blaaaahhh… Point is, I tried to make it work for me. I failed. I have never admitted it before today, but here we are.

Do you feel like your work is pointless? Like the work isn't rewarding? Or that you're just not good at what you do?

My daughter has Down syndrome and we have worked with so many different types of therapists over the years. But the one area that has the most noticeable effect on her functioning is speech. Being able to help her express herself verbally is the biggest gift you can give her. To watch her light up when she says something and finally, finally we can understand her. It gives her such power, such a feeling of personhood.

I don't know if you're looking for a pep talk or just for a way out, but even if your work is boring it is NOT pointless! I know many jobs that are just busy work but this is an area where you can have a measurable impact on someone's life.

Wow that is really special!
I really just don't enjoy the job .

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 1:06 pm
No ideas for you but I hate hate my job my field and my degree. I have one of those positions that people think are so great to be in. I‘ve done different aspects of the field and I hate them all. I went to a therapist that specializes in work issues and it didn’t help. I gave up and am working on a 6 month certification course since corona. The pay is nearly the same 🤦🏻‍♀️ Whatever it is, go for it. You will never loose your degree or your work experience.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 1:29 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
No ideas for you but I hate hate my job my field and my degree. I have one of those positions that people think are so great to be in. I‘ve done different aspects of the field and I hate them all. I went to a therapist that specializes in work issues and it didn’t help. I gave up and am working on a 6 month certification course since corona. The pay is nearly the same 🤦🏻‍♀️ Whatever it is, go for it. You will never loose your degree or your work experience.

Can u say what your course is?

I too hate my field and an looking to retrain in something short. 6 months sounds pretty good.

If anyone else has a short course idea that could lead to work, please let me know! And don't ask about skills. I'm looking for ideas!

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 1:35 pm
Administrative job in speech field.

Insurance or board of education as the person that assigns speech therapy based on the paperwork that others submit.

Catcher

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 2:02 pm
If you're creative and enjoy design you might want to look into UX/UI -user experience and user interface. There are various applications such as web and product development. Courses can be done entirely online, although they may be expensive.

Learn coding if you're good at language. Always a good skill to have and very versatile.

farm

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 10:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The only hospital jobs available here are with stroke victims. I would be doing aphasia and dysphagia, my 2 least favorite types of speech therapy.

SLP’s work with the preemies as well- feeding therapy and lots of parental education. Would that be more exciting that aphasia and dysphasia?
What about managing a therapy agency (or starting your own)?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 6:14 am
I live the idea that someone wrote about starting drama Classes, you could incorporate SLT and social skills,

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 6:34 am
Apply to medical school.

dragoneye126

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 6:35 am
You could try career coaching focusing on public speaking coaching, resume/cover letter/college essay reviewing, and interview prep/mock interviews. You could use your excellent communication skills to help others express themselves more clearly, and your design knowledge can help your clients to find a new, confident look.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 6:45 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Can u say what your course is?

I too hate my field and an looking to retrain in something short. 6 months sounds pretty good.

If anyone else has a short course idea that could lead to work, please let me know! And don't ask about skills. I'm looking for ideas!

Without knowing your skill set it’s not easy to give ideas. Here are two websites that I found. The first is by the Department of Labor so is legitimate. You will have to plan to spend $3,000 to $5,000 for many of the certificates. Research the programs to be sure you’re not wasting money. Be sure you understand working conditions and hours and they work for you. Hatzlacha

https://www.careeronestop.org/......aspx

https://www.thebalancecareers......71913

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 7:24 am
I’m an slp and actually love my job, but I know plenty of burned out slps. You should join the FB group SLP Transitions—Non Clinical and Out of Scope Career Paths. My current boss used to be a member of that group and would post all the time thinking about ways to get out of the field, but then got promoted to her current position so now she’s busy pretending that she loooves speech, lol. Anyway it can be nice to network with people looking to get out of the field.

Maybe temporarily you could work as a contact tracer? Some areas are hiring a ton of them.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 7:29 am
Also look into asl interpreting via video conferencing

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 7:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's called accent reduction. It's pretty cool. But I live in the US in an area where it's not really needed or wanted

How times have changed. My mother was a NYC public school teacher as were many of my aunts. They were all very smart women and so the most dreaded portion of the Certification Test was the speech test because a teacher could NOT have any kind of accent - including any trace of a New York accent. They all spoke beautifully and I also have no trade of an accent to the point where people are sometimes surprised when I tell them where I grew up. Smile

My high school also had a speech test and if you had any trace of accent - including a New York accent - you were sent to speech clinic to get rid of the accent since a New York accent would prevent one from getting ahead as it indicated a less "educated" blue collar background.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics