Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Help Wanted
Husband in desperate need of a job
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 3:39 pm
Hi,
My husband recently lost his job due to downsizing. He loved his job, and was so great at it. He is very good with people,organized, smart, fast learner, and all around great worker .
He loves to work in real estate, cars, or anything right now that will bring in some money.
We are really getting desparate, so if anyone knows of anything, please post it here, and I will pm you.
We live in Brooklyn.

Thank you so much!

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 4:04 pm
get a newspaper ... Idea

Yakira

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 4:07 pm
People are always posting that they are looking for jobs or employees on the five towns shuls yahoo group bullentin. It goes out to thousands of frum people in the Five Towns and other areas and it might be a good place to post this. Feel free to PM me if you would like me to post anything for you on it.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 6:37 pm
greenfire wrote:
get a newspaper ... Idea

and what makes you think we have not tried that?
It irks me so when people post things to make you feel stupid, like, oh, dont you know of that thing called a newspaper?
We have tried so many things already. finding a job is seriously hard these days. I thought that maybe with the vast members we have here, someone, maybe someone knew of something. I am trying to cast the line out there far and wide, and using all my resources.
so next time you think you are so smart, keep your comments to yourself.
I am sorry if you thought it was funny,I guess I am overly sensitive now. My nerves are getting to me. The money is dwindling. So I didnt dind it funny.

supermommy

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 7:04 pm
Did you try shmais.com? they usually have some job openings advertised.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 7:05 pm
It sounds like you are really having a hard time. I have many friends who have gone through this, and it's hard to keep your spirits up while you are going through it. Funny how easy it is for many baalei batim to write a cheque for Tzedakah, but it's not so easy to give someone a break. I wish I could be of some help, but I do not live in your area. In the meantime, the only thing I'd do in his shoes is retrain in whichever capacity I can- reading journals, either online or bought, taking courses, etc., to be better at whatever job I hope to achieve. In this way, you can also network with other people. May your help arrive soon!

amother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 7:20 pm
thank you for the chizzuk!

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 7:32 pm
amother wrote:
greenfire wrote:
get a newspaper ... Idea

and what makes you think we have not tried that?
It irks me so when people post things to make you feel stupid, like, oh, dont you know of that thing called a newspaper?
We have tried so many things already. finding a job is seriously hard these days. I thought that maybe with the vast members we have here, someone, maybe someone knew of something. I am trying to cast the line out there far and wide, and using all my resources.
so next time you think you are so smart, keep your comments to yourself.
I am sorry if you thought it was funny,I guess I am overly sensitive now. My nerves are getting to me. The money is dwindling. So I didnt dind it funny.

You Go Girl!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

myfriends715

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 8:12 pm
try calling b&h photo.. they have a lot of openings

amother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 8:22 pm
when my dh had no job, we signed up for government help.
one program that we had to do was job calling.

he had to call at least 20 places weekly, to see if they had any openings.
I will tell you that if he does that, he will find a job.

it may not be the best job, but it will be something, and something is better than nothing, at least temporarily.

it is embarrassing, and can be discouraging when the first 19 phone calls have no openings, but if you keep calling.. you will find a job.
you don't have to take the first thing that comes up,
but it is the most successful, proactive way that I know of , that can land you a job, if you need one quick, and are not picky as to the field you want to work in.

Dayzmom

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 8:27 pm
B&H will be hiring soon. Right now they are weeding through the excess employees they have. They are clearing out the bottom of the barrel, getting rid of the low producers. In a few weeks they will begin rehiring new potentials to fill those voids.

If you want you can pm me about this. I know a few ppl who work there and they keep me posted.

Thank you to the poster who brought this up, I wouldn't have thought of it.

Squash

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 8:31 pm
OP - just wanna say: ((((HUGS))))!! I KNOW how hard this is. Stay strong. I'm sorry that I can't help with a job but just wanted to let you know I understand and I'm sorry.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 9:47 pm
thank you, thank you for all the kind words guys! it is such a relief to be able to vent somewhere without dh hearing me, and feeling bad. I dont want to make him feel bad, he is such a good man.
but you know, it is hard. when he had a job, I wanted him home more, now that he is home the whole day, I feel like I am loosing my mind. I am working very hard on myself to stay calm, make him feel optimistic, and stay positive.

about Band H. I know, there are always job openings there.
But till now dh had jobs like these. jobs without potential. jobs where he did his thing, and thats that. no room for growth.
this last job he had was finally different. He was a leader. He was finally able to feel good at what he was doing.
he is so sad about the downsizing. He has so much potential that I feel it is a waste for him to just give up and go to Band H, like the ad says LOL

so, I guess we stick it out and see what Hashem has in store.
thanks for the chizzuk, it helps!

gigi

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 10:06 am
just because he is working is a store like B&H doesn't mean he can't continue to search for a better job at the same time.....

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 10:09 am
hugs, I so know how that is. Dh got downsized twice because they let go of all the consultants. And now we are in Israel and he is being sucked dry by the one company he works for (at night). He also really needs a new job and soon.

Prayers for you and hopes that he soon has a great job somewhere, that makes him money and satisfies him emotionally as well.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 11:36 am
gigi wrote:
just because he is working is a store like B&H doesn't mean he can't continue to search for a better job at the same time.....

true, but we have seen how that works out. one gets settled into a routine of work, and is stuck where he is. I am so thankful that he had to leave his job before this other job. He hated it, but he made a paycheck every week. he would have been there still if not for the hand of Hashem. Even though it was hard, it was a favor to us for making him loose that job.

so the same will be with Band H. He will have a job, we will be happy to be making some money, and thats how life will ensue. maybe that doesnt happen to others, but I know that is what happens with us.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 02 2008, 2:21 pm
my dh started out in focus....I rfeally wasnt happy knowing that they make u com. not to leave..but u cant relly live on those salerys
I encourged him to leave and he found a job he hated..left it after a short while and was playing the feild....then he was out of a job for like 4 mnths..(but I was working)...when finally out of the blue someone offered to go into bussniess with him...it was the best thing ever...its been 3 yrs..and bh the bussniess is doing good...im so happy we waited and he didnt go back to focus(like he wanted to) or to another dead end job
so my advice to u is if ur somehow managing finacally....wait it out...anmd hopefully he'll find something that was worth waiting for

amother

Post Sun, Mar 02 2008, 2:23 pm
btw....I didnt encourge him to find a job he hated....I encourged him to find another job...and after he started he realized he hated it

Mitzvahmom

Post Sun, Mar 02 2008, 2:32 pm
I do not like my job at all, but it brings in parnosa..

It's just a stepping stone until I finish my degree and find something better.

At least he's making money!

amother

Post Sun, Mar 02 2008, 3:24 pm
thank u amother!
we have no choice but to wait it out, because if we would ony hear or see of a job, we would celebrate. I am not working now, so we have no source of income coming in, we are having a very hard time now.
this too shall pass. iyh.
thanks for posting!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics