Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
MO neighborhoods in NYS with excellent Special Ed programs
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 4:15 am
LF ideas. Shuls like Kingsway Jewish Center. Good schools that have sp ed programs. Possible to live in if not wealthy. Where? Just has to be in NYS. TIA

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 5:50 am
Your best bet is probably either Brooklyn or Long Island. Nothing in nys is particularly affordable. Maybe Monsey is more affordable, And there are pockets of more modern, but idk if there are modern special Ed programs.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 6:17 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Your best bet is probably either Brooklyn or Long Island. Nothing in nys is particularly affordable. Maybe Monsey is more affordable, And there are pockets of more modern, but idk if there are modern special Ed programs.

Thanks for reply! Where are the pockets of MO you mentioned? What I mean for sp ed is a school that is not the type of school that has one person on staff who is laid off if the school has financial difficulties. That happened once to us and the kids suffered because of it.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 7:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for reply! Where are the pockets of MO you mentioned? What I mean for sp ed is a school that is not the type of school that has one person on staff who is laid off if the school has financial difficulties. That happened once to us and the kids suffered because of it.

I think up in forshay there’s a more modern area. It’s also more expensive there I think. Someone else may know the lay of the land in Monsey better than me and know of other areas to look at.

I think the only modern school left in Monsey is ashar though and I don’t know what they have available- everyone else sends down into NJ which sounds like it won’t work for you.
Someone else may have more updated info for you.

I can help you out more if you want info about queens or Long Island.

chayamiriam

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 7:26 am
There is a wonderful school in the hewlett school district with special ed much like a prep school totally focused on the needs of the child. The district has many frum kids and is very sensation to their needs!

naomi2

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 8:31 am
There is Sinai academy in Livingston NJ. That location is probably way more affordable than anything in Brooklyn. it is supposed to be a good school but I don't know what your child's difficulties are. There are so many special ed schools but each one caters to a different kind of student. You can narrow down your search by finding a few appropriate schools and then looking at housing prices near them

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 8:31 am
chayamiriam wrote:
There is a wonderful school in the hewlett school district with special ed much like a prep school totally focused on the needs of the child. The district has many frum kids and is very sensation to their needs!

What is the school's name? This sounds interesting.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 8:33 am
naomi2 wrote:
There is Sinai academy in Livingston NJ. That location is probably way more affordable than anything in Brooklyn. it is supposed to be a good school but I don't know what your child's difficulties are. There are so many special ed schools but each one caters to a different kind of student. You can narrow down your search by finding a few appropriate schools and then looking at housing prices near them
Thanks for this but must be in NY State

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 8:34 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
I think up in forshay there’s a more modern area. It’s also more expensive there I think. Someone else may know the lay of the land in Monsey better than me and know of other areas to look at.

I think the only modern school left in Monsey is ashar though and I don’t know what they have available- everyone else sends down into NJ which sounds like it won’t work for you.
Someone else may have more updated info for you.

I can help you out more if you want info about queens or Long Island.

Yes please would like info re Queens and LI locations.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 8:59 am
What kind of special ed services do you need? Five Towns has financially stable schools with good resource room as well as programs like Cahal, Gesher, and Kulanu. Affordability varies by location and school.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 9:02 am
Not sure what special Ed services you need but I would NOT recommend Monsey at all

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 9:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes please would like info re Queens and LI locations.

Queens has some YI shuls, and YCQ sounds like the Hashkafa you want, and I've heard they have good support.

In LI, there are some real special ed schools that another poster mentioned, and then there are the more MO schools that just have a resource room/ support set up.

What exactly does your child need?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 9:15 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
What kind of special ed services do you need? Five Towns has financially stable schools with good resource room as well as programs like Cahal, Gesher, and Kulanu. Affordability varies by location and school.
Right now they are preschool and before corona had PT and OT and speech. Don't think will be able to do regular grade level work without a lot of help. That is why before we leave Bklyn want to make very sure they will get what they need ( and that we can afford it).

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 9:22 am
naomi2 wrote:

Are you looking for a school specifically for students with special needs, or a school with substantial resource room support?

Sinai has a program at SAR in Riverdale. https://www.sinaischools.org/node/527

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 9:28 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Are you looking for a school specifically for students with special needs, or a school with substantial resource room support?

Sinai has a program at SAR in Riverdale. https://www.sinaischools.org/node/527

I hope school with substantial resource room support.[b]

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 9:34 am
I believe SAR does have a substantial resource room program also. It’s expensive though.
In theory if you want to live in Monsey to have more space your kids could commute there.

Queens is expensive housing.

LI sounds like a real option for you.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 9:47 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
I believe SAR does have a substantial resource room program also. It’s expensive though.
In theory if you want to live in Monsey to have more space your kids could commute there.

Queens is expensive housing.

LI sounds like a real option for you.

I hear you about the kid commute! Guess LI in a "less keep up with the Cohens" area...any idea where?
So appreciative of the assistance!

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 9:48 am
The people in Monsey area in your situation send to local public schools, or a regular school with a shadow. Some people move to a district outside main Monsey- clarkstown or ramapo central (NOT East ramapo) because they have excellent public schools. If you are MO in ideology you’ll have a harder time finding a neighborhood that you’d fit into. If you’re just “modern” there are plenty of neighborhoods where you’d fit in just fine.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 9:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I hear you about the kid commute! Guess LI in a "less keep up with the Cohens" area...any idea where?
So appreciative of the assistance!

Look into West Hempstead. It may be what you’re looking for.

Schoolwise, look into HANC HALB and HAFTR I think. Maybe north shore.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 10:01 am
The school in hewlett is from pre k to 1 grade its free its the Franklin School a truly magical school which has very experienced wonderful teachers I know many children who have special needs and now totally mainstreamed. The school is extremely generous and has tons of very experienced therapists. There is a music program where kids learn to read music and a great phys ed program. The Ogden or hewlett elementary school from 2-5 grade is better then any prep school costing thousands of dollars a year.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries