Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Fireworks or Gunshots, all night NYC?!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 2:38 pm
Lately I've been waking up multiple times a night to the echoing sound of fireworks (I assume it is) but it sound like gunshots (especially at 2am during a night's sleep) anyone knows what that is?

etky

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 2:51 pm
Good thing you specified NYC, cause we have that here too (Efrat).
It's how the end of the matriculation exams are celebrated in the neighboring Arab villages.
It just started a few days ago and will continue well into the summer same as every year.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 2:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Lately I've been waking up multiple times a night to the echoing sound of fireworks (I assume it is) but it sound like gunshots (especially at 2am during a night's sleep) anyone knows what that is?

Its fireworks. And no, I don't know why they're being set off. We've had it since April or May.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 2:53 pm
It’s fireworks. This month there has been an awful lot of them. Bored young adults with no discipline or structure...

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 2:54 pm
Been waking me up too! Why isn’t someone stopping them?!

hodeez

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 2:57 pm
Because this is NYC and you're not supposed to feel comfortable or safe here

mrs me

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 2:57 pm
https://nypost.com/2020/06/15/.....e_nyp

Coronavirus locked-down New Yorkers aren’t waiting until Independence Day to light up the skies, according to city data that shows a massive 4,000-percent surge in firecracker complaints during the first two weeks of June.

The city’s 311 system clocked 849 fireworks grievances from June 1 to June 14 compared to just 21 during the same period last year.

“3 am and still fireworks literally right outside my window. Dog is hiding under the bed,” griped Aaron Ibur on the “Ditmas Park, Brooklyn” Facebook group at 3:16 a.m. on June 12.

Ditmas Park and the surrounding Flatbush section of Brooklyn clocked 174 complaints about firecrackers with 311 this year — more than double the second highest number of complaints in Manhattan’s Washington Heights. The other top five neighborhoods for 311 complaints about fireworks were Kingsbridge in The Bronx, Inwood in Manhattan and Brownsville in Brooklyn.

Gothamist first reported the pyrotechnics surge.

Reps for the NYPD and City Hall did not immediately respond to requests for comment about the spike but some members of the Ditmas Park Facebook group suggested it was related to protests over the death of George Floyd.

“I’m not sure who is setting off the fireworks or exactly why, but its my speculation that the fireworks are fueled by rebellion,” group member Dayna Woo-Russel mused on June 14.

“Peaceful protests may not be enough for some, and it’s possible that the fireworks all night are their way of expressing their views against police brutality and the way our government has handled that,” Woo-Russel wrote.

“Yes, they are inconvenient for some but it surely beats burning our neighborhood to the ground,” she added.

Other residents weren’t so patient.

“Jumping in the fireworks argument, happy to be here…not only are the people lighting them off a–holes, but they’re exceptionally dumb too,” Jessica Scott wrote, also on June 14.

“Last night they were detonating them on top of the MTA’s concrete wall next to my house. it’s super neat to be sleeping and then suddenly a cinderblock smashes a through car windshield 10 feet outside your bedroom window. car alarms blare, both babies start to cry, cat is terrified in the closet, neighborhood dogs going nuts. so no, I won’t ‘enjoy the show’ nor stop calling 911. what’s next, something blasts through my nursery window and lands in my 1-year-old’s crib? my house catches on fire?” Scott fumed in her posting.

I copy and pasted the article for those that can’t click the link

Last edited by mrs me on Thu, Jun 18 2020, 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 2:58 pm
There's been a lot of increase in fireworks, possibly because people are bored with bars and clubs and basically all nightlife closed, so they're just entertaining themselves.
There has also been an increase in gunshots though.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 3:05 pm
10 year old boys from our community were screaming and setting off fireworks last night near me! It was bizarre.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 3:55 pm
Ok, So I'm not the ONLY one that considered calling 311. I ended up rolling over in bed hoping for a better half sleep though Yawn

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 11:29 pm
Are we in danger in BP, firecrackers are very loud and close?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 11:36 pm
It sounds very scary. No need to worry, just stay indoors. And try to sleep (I know not easy - I was up at 4:30am to the sound of bombing, so scary, and couldn't fall back asleep even when it stopped).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries