Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Baby eggplant

aimhabanim

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 6:57 pm
I'm looking for an easy yummy way to use up alot of baby eggplant. Thanks 😊

saltandvinegar

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 7:00 pm
you could pickle them which is yum!
or you could make a dip for shabbos...slice them into medallions, sprinkle with salt and cook in oven until browned on both sides. when they have cooled down, put into a baking dish with vinegar (half a cup to a cup), really tiny chopped red and green peppers and maybe a tablespoon or two of mint (you could use dry). I love it!

Ora in town

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 7:06 pm
In the oven:

cut in halves, empty out, pour a few drops of oil in the eggplants make a filling. Fry onions, minced meat, the eggplant bits you took out, ant tomato sauce in pan, fill eggplants, put rest of tomato sauce (without meat around), put fried breadcrumbs with garlick on top, bake for 20-30 minutes...

Or you do it milchig, with cheese on top and tuna instead of the meat in the sauce...

Frumme

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 7:37 pm
IIRC, Ra_Mom posted a really delicious marinated eggplant recipe recently (right before Shavuos).

Other ideas-- slice eggplants in half longwise (with skin and green part still intact). Then

A) score insides with knife (like diagonals to make diamonds or just up and down to make squares). Rub generously with oil. Roast until very soft. Let cool. Right before serving, smother top generously with tahini, sesame seeds, and scallions.

B) score insides w/ knife like in A. Rub generously with a neutral oil, like canola, and a drop of sesame oil. Mix together 2 tbsp miso, 1 tbsp sugar, and 1 tbsp mirin (or sake with extra sugar). Broil eggplants for 5 minutes face down (or until outer skin browns and softens). Then remove, glaze with miso/sugar/mirin mixture, and roast face side up for another 5 minutes. Top with sesame seeds and scallions.

(You can also make it on the stove top and oven, like https://pickledplum.com/nasu-dengaku-recipe/ )

C) gently scoop out raw eggplant insides being careful to not break the skin underneath. Roast empty skin shells until softened and slightly browned, but not too cooked or they will break apart. Put aside. Chop raw eggplant from before into small cubes, along with a Zucchini, onion, and tomato. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and roast on baking sheet until soft. Mix all together after roasting with oregano/basil/pepper/red pepper flakes, place inside eggplant shells, and serve.

aimhabanim

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 7:57 pm
Thanks so much everyone!!!!

OOTforlife

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 9:21 pm
Bagara Baingan. Fried eggplants in a masala curry with coconut, sesame seeds and tamarind.

https://food.ndtv.com/recipe-b.....66584

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 11:00 am
grill them under low heat. they are like pudding.

aimhabanim

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 12:14 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
grill them under low heat. they are like pudding.

Do I slice them open first?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics