Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Separate glasses for meat and dairy?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 7:34 pm
Hello everyone--not asking halachically, but just from the perspective of what you personally do.

Do you keep separate glasses for meat and dairy?

Would you be uncomfortable/judge the person negatively or not eat/drink in a home that uses the same glasses for meat and dairy?

RuralIma

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 8:02 pm
No to both.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 8:05 pm
I use different ones.
If I'd like to use the same ones I'd soak it for a long time between switch overs, just to feel comfortable.
These days many glasses are not 100% untreated and it's simple enough to have separate, as I have separate of everything else.
For someone else's house, I wouldn't ask and wouldn't know. I'd eat by their house though even if for some reason I did know.

happyone

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 8:28 pm
I use for glassware for both. as per my halachik psak.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 8:38 pm
Do you keep separate glasses for meat and dairy?
Yes.

Would you be uncomfortable/judge the person negatively or not eat/drink in a home that uses the same glasses for meat and dairy?

No, I'm OK with it. My Sephardi cousins have one set used for both.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 8:41 pm
Thanks everyone for your responses so far.

One more thing: would you say that the standard Ashkenazi minhag is to keep separate glasses?

Ora in town

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 8:43 pm
I mostly separate the glasses where I pour milk, coffe with milk and those that stay parve...
I use the parve glasses for both fleishig and milchig seudot.

WhatFor

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 8:45 pm
Ora in town wrote:
I mostly separate the glasses where I pour milk, coffe with milk and those that stay parve...
I use the parve glasses for both fleishig and milchig seudot.

Just out of curiosity, are you using the word "glass" interchangeably with "cup" or do you mean actual glasses?

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 9:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
One more thing: would you say that the standard Ashkenazi minhag is to keep separate glasses?

I have no idea. I wonder how many Ashkenazim one would have to ask in order to answer that question.

I know what my mother did in her kitchen and what I do in mine (glasses are pareve, we're ashenazim). And once a neighbor mentioned what she did (the same). And that's it. No guest has ever asked me what I do (or any other question about the kashrut of our kitchen). I've never asked anyone what they do or know their system for what is meat, dairy, or pareve .

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 9:08 pm
yes, we have separate, I just thought that is what everyone did.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 9:56 pm
Standard practice has long been to use the same glasses for both milk and meat meals. Affluence means that some people have separate sets. But that's not required. Just because your frum neighbor has 2 sets of glasses doesn't mean that you have to. Ask your rabbi for confirmation.

Motherhood

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 9:59 pm
Halachically, if it’s a glass (not interchangeable with the word cup) you are allowed to use it for both meat and dairy. And I’m Ashkenazi...

BetsyTacy

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 10:05 pm
Halachically that is true. In my world glasses are always pareve. It always looked strange to me when they had those breakfast ads with the tall glass of milk and the small glass of juice. Because I always associated a clear glass cup with pareve, when I was a little girl the glass full of milk looked like something only a non-Jew would drink.

Ora in town

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 10:30 pm
WhatFor wrote:
Just out of curiosity, are you using the word "glass" interchangeably with "cup" or do you mean actual glasses?

I mean glass.
Of course, I also drink coffe from cups or mugs (or glass mugs), but that's not what I was referring to...

Ellie7

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 10:40 pm
I have one set of glasses. Use them for dairy and meat meals and would put milk in them, too. I know my parents and in-laws (who are pretty different religiously) both do this. We’re Ashkenazi, and my assumption has been that this is pretty standard practice, but you know what happens when you assume...

essie14

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 12:53 am
I always learned that glass can be used interchangeably between meat and dairy. we used disposable growing up but I use the same glasses for both.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 1:44 am
My grandparents used one set. I have one pattern/set with 3 sizes I use the large ones for meat meals, the medium for dairy meals and the small ones for milk. I know and believe that are all pareve as they are glass, but I feel weird. However, I most certainly have and would again use the big and medium ones on the table together for dessert.
And if someone grabs and uses a glass different than I would use, it is not a cause for (Halachic) concern.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 1:53 am
We have two sets of glasses. I know this is not halacha but we were taught that it is preferred. I'm quite sure my great grandparents in Poland never dreamed of 2 sets of glasses.

My question though is if you use one set for both, how do you wash them? Only in cold water? Only by hand? How does that work? I assume you can't rinse out the milk and stick into dairy dishwasher and next day use it while eating a burger? Or can you?

Also, does the allowance of glasses for meat and dairy extend to items used for very hot things? Glass mugs for tea? Glass bowls for chicken soup and ice cream?

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 2:50 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
We have two sets of glasses. I know this is not halacha but we were taught that it is preferred. I'm quite sure my great grandparents in Poland never dreamed of 2 sets of glasses.

My question though is if you use one set for both, how do you wash them? Only in cold water? Only by hand? How does that work? I assume you can't rinse out the milk and stick into dairy dishwasher and next day use it while eating a burger? Or can you?

Also, does the allowance of glasses for meat and dairy extend to items used for very hot things? Glass mugs for tea? Glass bowls for chicken soup and ice cream?

Yes, you really can use a glass for milk, wash it in hot water and then use it the next day while eating a burger. Washing in a dishwasher is no different than washing by hand.

And you can use glass for hot milk or meat, but most people don't, just because they already have 2 sets of dishes.

Whoever taught you that it's "preferred" to have two sets of glasses is part of a larger trend that assumes we can all can afford to double up and are too stupid to run kosher kitchens. I understand the impulse to keep things simple, but it increases ignorance.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 2:59 am
We have one set of glasses. We are ashekenazi. We wash them either in the meat dish washer or by hand. This is how I grew up as well.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen