Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
No regent diploma. Now what?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 9:53 pm
My high school did not do regents and I would like to get my BA. Is my (non regent) high school diploma worth anything or do I need to get a GED?

STMommy

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 10:07 pm
If you got a diploma (local diploma) then you're fine.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 10:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My high school did not do regents and I would like to get my BA. Is my (non regent) high school diploma worth anything or do I need to get a GED?

Depends which school's diploma, and depends which college you choose. Mine was deemed worthless and I had to take the GED.

Fox

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 3:44 am
There is no such thing as a "Regent's Diploma" outside of New York. Take the SAT or ACT like everyone else in the U.S. and submit your scores as if you were applying from Idaho.

I'm not saying one doesn't exist, but I have *never* been able to find a NY-based college or university that requires a Regent's Diploma. To do so would mean turning away anyone who didn't attend high school in New York.

However, I have no trouble believing that there are plenty of ignorant college administrators who *think* they can demand a Regent's Diploma from NY students. Don't let them intimidate you. The only way they can demand a Regent's Diploma is if they do not admit students who attended high school outside of NY state.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 10:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I don't think that anyone cares about Regents.

My kids' school doesn't do most Regents. Yet every year, students are accepted to top universities, including each and every Ivy, Maryland, Michigan, UCLA, MIT and Johns Hopkins, among others.

It all depends on how rigorous the high school program is considered, and how well you do on your SAT/ACT.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 11:15 am
Thank you so much for that info! You've all been really helpful

Last edited by amother on Fri, Jun 19 2020, 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 11:26 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
I don't think that anyone cares about Regents.

My kids' school doesn't do most Regents. Yet every year, students are accepted to top universities, including each and every Ivy, Maryland, Michigan, UCLA, MIT and Johns Hopkins, among others.

It all depends on how rigorous the high school program is considered, and how well you do on your SAT/ACT.

NY schools that dont take regents can be privately accredited so the kids graduate with an accredited high school diploma. Is that the case for the school you send to? Because the few chasidishe girls schools that dont offer regents are not accredited privately so the high school diploma is useless (the college did not accept it and the girls had to get a GED). unlike the chasidishe boys schools which are privately accredited so the boys graduate with a BTL and can go directly to graduate/law school.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 11:30 am
At touro u dont have to take a GED if you dont have a diploma. Theres just a few classes/tests you would need to pass

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 11:31 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
NY schools that dont take regents can be privately accredited so the kids graduate with an accredited high school diploma. Is that the case for the school you send to? Because the few chasidishe girls schools that dont offer regents are not accredited privately so the high school diploma is useless (the college did not accept it and the girls had to get a GED). unlike the chasidishe boys schools which are privately accredited so the boys graduate with a BTL and can go directly to graduate/law school.

Well, yes, of course I'm referring to an accredited school.

Rather obviously, at least to me, people should not be sending their children to unaccredited schools without rigorous academic programs.

BTW, do students really go directly from high school to graduate school? My high school (not my kids' school, mine) actually grants a BA. But no one thinks its a real college degree, and no school accepts it as such.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 11:40 am
I'm looking into the nursing programs at Touro and Bulka. I guess I will contact them and see what the process would be. If anybody has gone through this I would appreciate if you could share
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics