Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Spike in new Covid19-Cases in Florida
1  2  Next

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 8:00 am
More than 4'000 new Covid-cases yesterday in Florida, California and Texas...

If Florida is hit hard now, fatalities will probably be hight, since age average in Florida is highter than in other states...

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 8:09 am
Could be.
And?

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 8:11 am
So far icu hasn’t spiked. That may be a good sign for the rest of the country.

The elderly are also typically more careful.
Although I heard from ppl in Orlando over shavous that there were zero precautions taken in stores, streets, mall, small open attractions. The city was open almost as normal.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 8:13 am
It does seem to be that even though infections are going up, hospitalizations aren't following the same trend that they were originally.

It looks likely that the heat is tempering down the impact. It could also be that it has lost some of it's potentcy though then it wouldn't make sense why it's bearing down so badly in the Americas... It's winter there now so that's why the summer climate rationale makes more sense to me.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 8:25 am
There's a lot more testing available than a few months ago. With more testing, there are more official cases, including more people who have very mild cases or are asymptomatic.

The numbers I would look at are hospitalizations and ICU admissions. They are a more reliable indicator of how many people are very sick.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 8:40 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
It does seem to be that even though infections are going up, hospitalizations aren't following the same trend that they were originally.

It looks likely that the heat is tempering down the impact. It could also be that it has lost some of it's potentcy though then it wouldn't make sense why it's bearing down so badly in the Americas... It's winter there now so that's why the summer climate rationale makes more sense to me.

Did the other Americas start as early as we did? Maybe the virus is mutating differently, or not on the same schedule.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 8:51 am
I live in Florida and all of the elderly that I personally know have been staying home without visitors, since those that end up in the ICU are typically elderly, seems they are not getting it like those in NY did.
We are also a few weeks out of influx of out of state visitors, reopening and protests.
One way to explain the uptick of many more cases without ICU crisis.

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 9:09 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:

There seem to be indications that the virus mutated to get easier access to cells...

So the way it seems to be taking now is: more aggressive rather than more harmless...

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 9:10 am
Ora in town wrote:
There seem to be indications that the virus mutated to get easier access to cells...

So the way it seems to be taking now is: more aggressive rather than more harmless...

And I’ve read the opposite. That itbis now less harms less.

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 9:17 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
And I’ve read the opposite. That itbis now less harms less.

I don't know.
Could be that what you read were general suppositions of what can happen when I virus mutates.

What I am talking about is a brand new study, on a pre-publish server, that says:

Quote:
Mutated coronavirus shows significant boost in infectivity

COVID-19-causing viral variant taking over in the United States and Europe now carries more functional, cell-binding spikes.

June 12, 2020

Boost in infectivity

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 9:25 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
I live in Florida and all of the elderly that I personally know have been staying home without visitors, since those that end up in the ICU are typically elderly, seems they are not getting it like those in NY did.
We are also a few weeks out of influx of out of state visitors, reopening and protests.
One way to explain the uptick of many more cases without ICU crisis.

This. My parents (on the lower end of elderly- both under 70) only go out when they need to, for doctors appointments. My father is currently undergoing chemo, and his oncologist is adamant that they have NO guests, not even visitors for a minute or two. They have a boarder, and my parents were told that if she goes back to physical work (she is a teachers assistant) then she will need to move out.

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 9:26 am
I am happy to hear that the elderly population seems to be aware of the risks and behaves accordingly.

I hope they will all be spared from this terrible disease...

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 11:48 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:

Where is it winter now?

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 11:49 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Where is it winter now?

South America. Brazil, Mexico, Peru - they're all being hit very badly now. The epicenter has shifted to these countries.

Cmon be nice

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 12:40 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
South America. Brazil, Mexico, Peru - they're all being hit very badly now. The epicenter has shifted to these countries.

Makes sense as its winter there. Same reason why they're worried about a second wave in the fall in the US

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 1:01 pm
Cmon be nice wrote:
Makes sense as its winter there. Same reason why they're worried about a second wave in the fall in the US

Yes. Because the virus seems to thrive in cold & dry air, where droplets can dry out and form pure virus-balls easily...

And because the epiglottis does not always close properly when we go from warm to cold, so virus can penetrated into the airways when we swallow...

So: wear a scarf when it's cold (or in cold AC rooms)

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 2:53 pm
my mother in law only does to the doctor and to get her hair done and goes to my sister in law in florida two people in her senior apt have it

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 5:17 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
my mother in law only does to the doctor and to get her hair done and goes to my sister in law in florida two people in her senior apt have it

Sounds scary!

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 8:11 am
The problem is that those states who were less affected till now are more susceptible.
They should be extra careful, not reckless...

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 9:17 am
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics