Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Would you get an electric car?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 2:05 pm
Dh said it is cheaper because we get a rebate and it’s much better because we don’t need to go to the gas station anymore. We can charge it at home.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 2:31 pm
Yes! Next car.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 3:38 pm
I would be afraid it would run out and no charging station around

Ellie7

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 5:12 pm
There are a lot of considerations.

1. How much do you pay for electricity vs. what you’d pay for gas? It’s not like electricity is free.

2. What’s the range? You likely won’t be able to drive that far with it, but how far do you need to go on one charge? Because of this I would definitely not have an electric car as my only car.

3. If a lease is possible, this may be a better route because the technology on electric cars is changing so fast. A car you get now will likely he close to obsolete in 3-5 years.

That said, we leased an electric car for three years and it was definitely a good decision for us.

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 5:15 pm
Yes, totally...
But it's not good for far overland cruises...
then you need a hybrid...
But innercity, for the way to and from work, etc. it's ideal...

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 6:13 pm
Yes, we have one and plan to get a second one.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 6:47 pm
no

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 7:05 pm
We have one. It's a Leaf, which is on the lower end of the scale (as opposed to a Tesla, which is on the higher end of electric car.) We have had it for a year, and I really like it. It is the main car, but we do keep the gas car for emergencies, and for longer trips.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 7:47 pm
Only if there were no longer gas-run cars on the market anymore. I have zero interest.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 12:57 am
Definitely! There are charging stations all over and there are electric cars that can go as far as 300 miles on a full charge. We’re planning on buying an electric car as our next car.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 7:28 am
The rebates are over AFAIK. If it’s for the environment, know most power plants are coal fired 🤦🏻‍♀️

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 9:04 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
The rebates are over AFAIK. If it’s for the environment, know most power plants are coal fired 🤦🏻‍♀️

There is a federal tax credit depending on which car you get (it is phased out for each manufacturer as they sell more cars). The state incentives vary from one state to another. In NJ, it remains an attractive choice. Also in NJ, as in quite a few other states, we have energy choice. It is easy to choose solar/wind power.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 9:10 am
No, we do a lot of long drives (I.e. 450 miles roundtrip twice a month, aside from other driving and commute) and an electric car would make that really inconvenient.

I would definitely consider a hybrid, but apparently they're not the best for highway driving anyhow, so we'll probably end up with a small car that gets good MPG.

(And a huge gas-guzzling people transporter for the family, but what can you do...)

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 9:31 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
No, we do a lot of long drives (I.e. 450 miles roundtrip twice a month, aside from other driving and commute) and an electric car would make that really inconvenient.

I would definitely consider a hybrid, but apparently they're not the best for highway driving anyhow, so we'll probably end up with a small car that gets good MPG.

(And a huge gas-guzzling people transporter for the family, but what can you do...)

Over the past fifteen years of driving a Toyota Prius mostly on the highway, I generally average 45 mpg (currently higher). Not bad. The new Corolla hybrid looks appealing if you are budget-oriented and looking to buy new rather than used.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 9:40 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:

You could stop for a fast charge while taking a break. A fast charge takes about 1/2 an hour. If the car is fully charged, you probably wouldn't need to charge except where you're going and at home.

But they're not for everyone. We park on the street, so it would be somewhere between inconvenient and impossible for us.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics