Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Please please please don't skip Polio
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 4:03 am
I'm reading the other thread about an OP who is now so scared of Covid that she doesn't want to give all the vaccines. And the women on the thread are advising not to give the polio vaccine "especially in the US."

I really don't understand this. I know THREE people who had polio as a child and are now forever in a wheelchair. Their lives... I don't wish their struggles on anyone. Yes, two of them were Israeli, now live in the US. All it takes is one person - polio spreads like nobody's business.

I could just cry. Do you know how hard the WHO has worked to eradicate polio from the world? Do you know the devastation it caused? How could reasonable women tell other women to hurt their children this way? My friend in the wheelchair would be the first person to tell you to give your child a shot. Give them the best chance at life.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 4:48 am
Completely agree. The only way to keep it completely eradicated is if everyone gives the polio vaccine. Please, if someone is not comfortable or scared of vaccines speak to your doctor and figure out a different schedule so your not giving so many at once.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 4:57 am
I think that if someone doesn't want to give the IPV, then the child should just receive the OPV when they are in school. No parental consent necessary.

Polio is a real threat and if the parents can't be relied on to give the series of safe immunizations then they can receive the one-and-done version, which comes with risks if it's given without the IPV being given first, but at least the risk is only to that child and not to the entire community.

And the anti-vax parents anyways don't seem to have a problem risking their child's health...so at least this way the community is protected.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 5:06 am
In Israel, they give the IPV and the OPV to toddlers so children can shed it and functionally vaccinate other children. Nobody wants to see the return of polio.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 5:12 am
Rappel wrote:
In Israel, they give the IPV and the OPV to toddlers so children can shed it and functionally vaccinate other children. Nobody wants to see the return of polio.

That makes no sense. Period.

giselle

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 5:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm reading the other thread about an OP who is now so scared of Covid that she doesn't want to give all the vaccines. And the women on the thread are advising not to give the polio vaccine "especially in the US."

I really don't understand this. I know THREE people who had polio as a child and are now forever in a wheelchair. Their lives... I don't wish their struggles on anyone. Yes, two of them were Israeli, now live in the US. All it takes is one person - polio spreads like nobody's business.

I could just cry. Do you know how hard the WHO has worked to eradicate polio from the world? Do you know the devastation it caused? How could reasonable women tell other women to hurt their children this way? My friend in the wheelchair would be the first person to tell you to give your child a shot. Give them the best chance at life.

I agree with you. But since the other thread is locked I have to ask, what does COVID have to do with now being anti vax?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 5:21 am
In Belgium you have a deadline until when you have to give it and if you are not up to date you have police at your door. They can literally take the child away or at least that's what they say. No jokes with polio

banana123

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 5:22 am
Rappel wrote:

No, that's wrong.

In Israel they give IPV and then the OPV at age 6 months (after 3 doses of IPV). The reason is because IPV protects the person immunized from suffering from polio (they might have a fever or a bit of diarrhea, but nothing more) but it doesn't prevent polio from colonizing that person's gut (like GBS can colonize your gut, but it's not going to make you sick as long as it stays in your gut).

If everyone is vaccinated with IPV, then there's no reason to give OPV, because even if everyone is colonized, no one can get sick.

But when they found signs of polio in the sewage they worried that someone might become colonized and give it to their immunocompromised grandfather - either because they themselves weren't vaccinated and became sick with polio but infected the grandfather anyways, or because they didn't know they were colonized, since they'd been immunized with IPV.

So the easiest way to prevent such a scenario is to prevent colonization in the first place, which the OPV does. (Only problem is, anti-vaxxers didn't give the OPV either, despite the scare.)

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 5:40 am
Yes, the polio vaccine is very important. So is thetanos, so is pertussis, so is diphteria, and I think the rota-virus vaccine is also a good idea, as well as hepathitis...

I can't understand any parent who would not give their children this protection against nasty diseases...

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 6:12 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I think that if someone doesn't want to give the IPV, then the child should just receive the OPV when they are in school. No parental consent necessary.

Polio is a real threat and if the parents can't be relied on to give the series of safe immunizations then they can receive the one-and-done version, which comes with risks if it's given without the IPV being given first, but at least the risk is only to that child and not to the entire community.

And the anti-vax parents anyways don't seem to have a problem risking their child's health...so at least this way the community is protected.

Vaccines are not given in school and are also not given without a parents consent in the U.S.
May be different in Israel.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 6:16 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Vaccines are not given in school and are also not given without a parents consent in the U.S.
May be different in Israel.

What does Israel have to do with anything? (It's not different in Israel, by the way - you still need parental consent.)

I know vaccines are not given without parental consent but if a child can opt for the HPV without parental consent (in certain US states it is allowed) then it should be legal to send nurses into schools with high rates of unvaccinated students and have them administer the OPV without parental consent.

NOW do you understand my previous post?

https://www.newscientist.com/a.....sion/

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 6:28 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
What does Israel have to do with anything? (It's not different in Israel, by the way.)
In Israel there are vaccines that are given in school, of course with parental consent, but in school.
Here is the schedule:
https://www.health.gov.il/Engl......aspx

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 6:38 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
In Israel there are vaccines that are given in school, of course with parental consent, but in school.
Here is the schedule:
https://www.health.gov.il/Engl......aspx

I meant that in Israel vaccines can only be given with parental consent.
Not that they aren't given in school.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 6:43 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
What does Israel have to do with anything? (It's not different in Israel, by the way - you still need parental consent.)

I know vaccines are not given without parental consent but if a child can opt for the HPV without parental consent (in certain US states it is allowed) then it should be legal to send nurses into schools with high rates of unvaccinated students and have them administer the OPV without parental consent.

NOW do you understand my previous post?

https://www.newscientist.com/a.....sion/

I understand that you may think it's a good idea. I'm just telling you that this is not done in the U.S. Also, OPV is not given in the U.S. at all.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 6:49 am
This thread is clear and specifically about the polio vaccine. Lets support Op in getting her message out on her thread. Someone can skip some vaccinations if they so choose and still take polio vaccine.

Please do give the polio vaccine. It is a horrible disease that many were crippled from or died from R"L. People only a couple generations ago used to have to live in fear of it. The creation of the polio vaccine was like a nes.

We have had the amazing good fortune to not know what it was like to live with polio. You can ask people in the 50's who may remember when the vaccine became available in their childhood. Or the generation prior to that what it was like before the polio vaccine. Or read books by Aharon Margalit who suffered terribly as a child from polio and had lifelong affects from that disease.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 6:53 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
I understand that you may think it's a good idea. I'm just telling you that this is not done in the U.S. Also, OPV is not given in the U.S. at all.

You don't get it.

I know it's not done. I think it SHOULD be done.
I know the OPV isn't given in the US. I think that it SHOULD be used, for those who refuse to vaccinate with the IPV.

This is part of the preventive measures that I believe SHOULD be implemented to protect society from a return of this deadly disease.

It's not done right now, I know that, but it's obvious that things need to change.

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 7:52 am
Yes, I also think that Polio vaccines are very important.
It would be pure torture to expose children to this terrible disease.
Same goes for Tetanos.
Same goes for diphteria.
Same goes for pertussis
Same goes for hepathitis (which can become chronic and really make a hard time later in life)

Same goes for all the diseases where vaccines are available.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 7:53 am
Good points! Start a spinoff on the vax forum!

watergirl

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 8:02 am
Let this man tell you how devastating polio is. How quickly we all forget. Want to sign your kids up for life in a wheelchair? How about an iron lung? Oh, never heard of the iron lung? Please meet the last man alive living in one. https://youtu.be/gplA6pq9cOs

For anyone who did not watch the short video I posted above - he is living in his iron lung. He can not breathe outside it. There used to be full wards of children in the iron lung. And now it is no longer made because BH we have eradicated polio. So when his iron lung needs to be repaired, it is a terrifying event.

Polio was another time in American history when schools and camps were shut down. And this was not so long ago. It is a terrifying thing and was SHOCKED to see people saying there is no reason to give the polio vaccine.

And rotavirus, which people were also advising to skip the vaccine for - it is literally a a very contagious virus that causes diarrhea (from the Mayo clinic website). And not a stomach bug that a bit of pediasure and a few bananas will take care of. This is a deadly diarrhea and dehydration that will kill your child. https://www.mayoclinic.org/dis.....51300

It takes only ONE person coming to the States with polio or rotavirus to cause it to spread like wildfire. Did we so quickly forget how fast COVID spread? These things will kill you!

Why are people messing around with these things?

Last edited by watergirl on Mon, Jun 22 2020, 8:11 am; edited 2 times in total

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 8:10 am
Me too...

I knew an old man who had polio as a child... he walked on a cane for the rest of his life...

It's not a disease you could take lightly... Just like tetanos...
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics