Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Covid

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 5:18 am
What does covid have to do with being pro or anti vaccination?

Why would someone switch from pro to anti because of covid?

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 6:03 am
I think some people who are generally neutral about vaccines may be cautious about a covid-19 vaccine because the test period will have been so rushed. We won't have any knowledge about the long term effects, and knowledge of potential side effects will be limited. (On the other hand we don't know much about the long term effects of covid-19 itself either, and you don't get to choose about having that.)

How this is extrapolated into refusing all vaccines is beyond my logic.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 6:05 am
I actually hope the opposite, that many anti vaxers will give the vaccine because they are actually living through the pandemic and see/saw the deaths from the virus.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 6:08 am
But they can also say, "We had it aready, so there is need to get a vaccine as well."

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 6:58 am
We do not know yet the length of immunity or degree to which having had covid already confers upon the person.

Would that it were like chicken pox in the regard of getting it once and getting the benefit lifelong immunity! Though seemingly it is not Sad Supposedly so far it seems more like flu though hopefully they can create a safe vaccine that confers lifelong immunity.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 8:47 am
There is nuance.
Years ago, when the chicken pox vaccine came out, responsible doctors were saying, you can wait till your child's 10 to see if s/he gets the virus and if not, get it at 10 because it's harder for older kids. Turned out my kids all got it early. But this was the advice then because chicken pox was so prevalent that it was seen as a normal rite of passage, though one doctors would be thrilled to see eliminated due to the possible serious results.

So being on the fence about one vaccine doesn't mean being anti-vax.

I just read that there was a COVID vaccine in the pipeline but they had to scrap it because of side effects. I'm curious. What side effects? OTOH it does reassure me that there is going to be caution in getting something to the masses. I hope.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 8:56 am
I can't speak for her, but the ineffectiveness and bumbling of the CDC made many people wary of following their recommendations blindly. They lost trust in our medical leaders.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 9:03 am
PinkFridge wrote:
There is nuance.
Years ago, when the chicken pox vaccine came out, responsible doctors were saying, you can wait till your child's 10 to see if s/he gets the virus and if not, get it at 10 because it's harder for older kids. Turned out my kids all got it early. But this was the advice then because chicken pox was so prevalent that it was seen as a normal rite of passage, though one doctors would be thrilled to see eliminated due to the possible serious results.

So being on the fence about one vaccine doesn't mean being anti-vax.

Yes, and with chicken pox getting it as an adult can be dangerous. My father never had it, and when we caught it (one after the other, rather than concurrently) he had to spend six weeks hiding in a corner of the house, while my mother had all the burden of caring for us. Both of them would have been thrilled if there had been an option of a vaccine.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 9:08 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I actually hope the opposite, that many anti vaxers will give the vaccine because they are actually living through the pandemic and see/saw the deaths from the virus.

I wish, but I wouldn't count on that.

From what I've seen, most anti-vaxxers don't see coronavirus as such a big deal, and cannot fathom that people are actually dying from coronavirus. They believe the numbers are made up, or due to "bad hospital care."

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 9:10 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I can't speak for her, but the ineffectiveness and bumbling of the CDC made many people wary of following their recommendations blindly. They lost trust in our medical leaders.

CDC is not the only health organization in the world, though.

Many other governmental health organizations have done much better with coronavirus and still recommend vaccines, including some vaccines which aren't given in the US.

I lost my trust in the CDC during this pandemic, but that doesn't mean I'm turning anti-vax. I just find better, more reliable medical bodies to get my information from.

nchr

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 9:12 am
It's because, in my community, anti COVID19 propaganda is being driven in a way similar to the anti vaccine movement. That will likely change with time.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:24 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
CDC is not the only health organization in the world, though.

Many other governmental health organizations have done much better with coronavirus and still recommend vaccines, including some vaccines which aren't given in the US.

I lost my trust in the CDC during this pandemic, but that doesn't mean I'm turning anti-vax. I just find better, more reliable medical bodies to get my information from.

Each to their own.

At this point, it's pretty obvious that the WHO is also not to be trusted.

This pandemic highlighted to many people how politics and money are very much driving forces in health policy, not necessarily the actual health of individual people. Everyone will react differently to these revelations.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 2:40 pm
This whole saga showed me the truth abt the pharmaceutical industry. It's all abt their pocket and not abt our health. There probably is some health involved, but the actions of the Dr Fauci and all others that are involved in our health care system, makes me wanna vomit. After reading and doing tons of research we will never know the truth. They have an agenda and are looking to force that agenda on us. And that's why I don't believe anything they say anymore.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 2:41 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Each to their own.

At this point, it's pretty obvious that the WHO is also not to be trusted.

This pandemic highlighted to many people how politics and money are very much driving forces in health policy, not necessarily the actual health of individual people. Everyone will react differently to these revelations.

I feel like erasing my post. You said it much better than me.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 3:42 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
I feel like erasing my post. You said it much better than me.

Everyone's voice matters.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 5:11 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Everyone's voice matters.

Lol yea. You just hit it spot on! You said it very well.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 5:20 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Lol yea. You just hit it spot on! You said it very well.

Thanks. It's been pretty obvious to me in the last year and a half with the RE repeal in NY. If you followed closely, and I don't mean the MSM, it's been really crazy. But if you weren't an antivaxxer before, chances are you didn't follow closely and weren't aware of all that garbage.

Since then a number of other laws and health policies have been mandated that affect everyone (especially those in NY), so there's been a sort of dawning realization of how policy is created.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics