Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Catchup schedule for 2y old
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 8:49 am
I want to start now with my 20m old and catch her up over the next school year so she'll be up to date by age 3 to go to real school.
I'll obv ask the Dr but has anyone done this. Its like 11-13 shots. Am I looking at going in once a month for a shot, or are some things combined into one visit?

Success10

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 8:50 am
They know what can and can't be combined, and you can't necessarily come in as soon as a month after previous ones. They need to be more spaced. Your doctor's office will have all the info. I'm not entirely sure it can be done in a year, I've never tried.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 8:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I want to start now with my 20m old and catch her up over the next school year so she'll be up to date by age 3 to go to real school.
I'll obv ask the Dr but has anyone done this. Its like 11-13 shots. Am I looking at going in once a month for a shot, or are some things combined into one visit?
Depends on how many you're ready to give at once. Your doctor might not have a problem giving in one visit Dtap, MMR, Hib, and Prevnar. My doctor had no problem with it, but I did. So know what you want before you go.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 8:52 am
Success10 wrote:
They know what can and can't be combined, and you can't necessarily come in as soon as a month after previous ones. They need to be more spaced. Your doctor's office will have all the info. I'm not entirely sure it can be done in a year, I've never tried.

Of course it can. My kids were unvaccinated until June 2019 and they have to be all caught up by June 2020 according to the law. I'm not saying it's normal or a good idea but it can be done according to CDC, following their catchup schedule.

silverlining3

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 8:53 am
I'd do a 6-8 week space between shots.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 8:56 am
With the newborns you basically go in every 3 months for another round of shots. You can follow that. I however don't like go give more than 2 at a time but that's my personal decision with no medical knowledge

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 8:58 am
silverlining3 wrote:
I'd do a 6-8 week space between shots.
The last polio and dtap may need 6 months but I don't remember offhand for which ages this applies. Check the CDC catchup schedule which lists the minimum interim time between doses.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 9:06 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Of course it can. My kids were unvaccinated until June 2019 and they have to be all caught up by June 2020 according to the law. I'm not saying it's normal or a good idea but it can be done according to CDC, following their catchup schedule.

So acc to the catchup I figure its coming in at least once a month
Unless things are commonly combined? I'm OK giving 2 or maybe 3 milder ones in a visit

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 9:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So acc to the catchup I figure its coming in at least once a month
Unless things are commonly combined? I'm OK giving 2 or maybe 3 milder ones in a visit

Dtap and mmr are already combined.
I would suggest to do one at a time and spaced out every 4 weeks. My kids had adverse reactions and got medical exemptions to the one they reacted badly to.
The hib you would need one dose

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 9:37 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I would suggest to do one at a time and spaced out every 4 weeks. My kids had adverse reactions and got medical exemptions to the one they reacted badly to.

Into one injection? I thought they were separate.
Or you mean always given together.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 9:47 am
Check out the DOH BOE in your state.

Basically doing this now for my kid entering pre k. I space every few weeks. And some shots you need to wait a few months between doses. Your doctor will be helpful but really you need to be the one to make the schedule or they will just give everything at once. Or you can request one shot every month. And whatever they give...also certain shots if you give past a certain age you can get away with one dose less.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 10:07 am
There are things you can do to mitigate the immune response and open detoxification pathways.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 10:09 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:

That is incorrect. Please don't put out info out there if you don't know.

I know the regular and the catchup vaccine schedule like the back of my hand but it's too complicated to write it all out here.

There are certain vaccines that come combined (although you can give them separately as well). For example, Pediarix vaccine is Dtap, Hep B and Polio together. Another option is Pentacel, which is Dtap, HIB and Polio together. Etc.

Work it out with your pediatrician, OP.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:21 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:

I know the regular and the catchup vaccine schedule like the back of my hand but it's too complicated to write it all out here.

There are certain vaccines that come combined (although you can give them separately as well). For example, Pediarix vaccine is Dtap, Hep B and Polio together. Another option is Pentacel, which is Dtap, HIB and Polio together. Etc.

She meant to say that DTaP vaccine in itself is already a combo vaccine for 3 diseases. So is MMR. But unfortunately, OP, there's no option of separating the three components of these vaccines.

My doctor told me that if I will anyway end up giving everything, it's better to give Pediarix than to separate them because the amount of toxins and preservatives total is less in the combo than in all three separately.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:28 am

So I need
Dtap 4
Hep b 3
Polio 3

I can give 3 pediarix and then 1 single Dtap?

I'll confirm with ped but I rlly want to be as armed as possible bc he tends to run me over if I'm not feeling confident enough to speak up. I'd like to draw a schedule based on my understanding of the catchup and bring that into the office so I can discuss it

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I need
Dtap 4
Hep b 3
Polio 3

I'll confirm with ped but I rlly want to be as armed as possible bc he tends to run me over if I'm not feeling confident enough to speak up. I'd like to draw a schedule based on my understanding of the catchup and bring that into the office so I can discuss it

You also have to check the spacing between shots. For example, Dtap and Hep B both need 4 weeks between dose 1 and 2, but Hep B needs 8 weeks between dose 2 and 3 while Dtap only needs 4 weeks between dose 2 and 3 but 6 months between dose 3 and 4.

Here is the chart you need:
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/s......html Note that not all shots on the chart are mandatory for school. Here's a chart of what you need for school in NY:
https://www.health.ny.gov/publ.....0.pdf

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:36 am
You also have to check the spacing between shots. For example, Dtap and Hep B both need 4 weeks between dose 1 and 2, but Hep B needs 8 weeks between dose 2 and 3 while Dtap only needs 4 weeks between dose 2 and 3 but 6 months between dose 3 and 4.

Here is the chart you need:
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/s......html Note that not all shots on the chart are mandatory for school. Here's a chart of what you need for school in NY:
https://www.health.ny.gov/publ.....0.pdf

Thank you. Right I know but that's why I want to do it over a year, so I have time to wait 6 months

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 2:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I need
Dtap 4
Hep b 3
Polio 3

Correct. That is what most people do.

You will need to wait 6 months between the 3rd and 4th Dtap.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 3:44 pm
Correct. That is what most people do.

You will need to wait 6 months between the 3rd and 4th Dtap.

And 6 months between the 2nd and 3rd polio

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 5:38 pm
And 6 months between the 2nd and 3rd polio

No, that is incorrect.

You need 6 months between the 3rd and 4th polio. However the 4th polio is given at age 4, so if she vaccinates now, that is a non issue. It's only an issue when you start really late.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics