Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
New Munkatch school in Monsey
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 10:46 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
KBY is more open(aka modern) than BR?

They don't present themselves that way but the fact is that yes, some of the ppl who send to KBY were not accepted to BR. (for example BR graduates whose sheitels are a bit longer than BR would like)

amother
Olive

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 10:55 am
How is munkatch working out?

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 5:44 pm
So far we are very happy. Such a warm environment. My daughter grew so much scholastically. They also put so much into the girls hashkafically. They kept the classes small this year but I hear that lots of new students were accepted for next year.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 5:56 pm
I think Munkatch has a lot of potential.
I know people from a few different schools taking out and putting in there for next year.
I'm thinking if I should do the same and wanna see if I should give it another year.
I hear they built up an amazing academic curriculum.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 6:16 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
So far we are very happy. Such a warm environment. My daughter grew so much scholastically. They also put so much into the girls hashkafically. They kept the classes small this year but I hear that lots of new students were accepted for next year.

What do you mean put so much into the girls hashkafically? I was thinking of putting in for the coming year but after seeing how some of the mothers and girls look, I'm having second thoughts.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 6:29 pm
Full disclosure: this is not pupa, bobov, Sanz.... It is a neutral chasidisha school. The fact that some mother's look less chasidish than others does not dispute the fact that the school has beautiful tochendiga programs.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 6:57 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
What do you mean put so much into the girls hashkafically? I was thinking of putting in for the coming year but after seeing how some of the mothers and girls look, I'm having second thoughts.

They want to be on high level with high standards, not davka Chassidish standards though. Some of the older grades are taught in Litvish Havara and teitch Chumash in English. It is different than a Pupa or Bobov school. They have a more Bais Yaakov approach. I'm sure they will fine tune their standards as they get more established.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 7:03 pm
As far as I know they do not learn chumash with English teitch, nor do they learn in a different havara. Mind you, I was in a chasidish school growing up and had some teachers who taught like that because they were not chasidish. No biggie.
This school is takka not bobov or Sanz. That's not who they are targeting .

amother
Copper

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 7:04 pm
Full disclosure: this is not pupa, bobov, Sanz.... It is a neutral chasidisha school. The fact that some mother's look less chasidish than others does not dispute the fact that the school has beautiful tochendiga programs.

It's not that the mothers look less chassidish, they look modern even for non chassidish schools standards. It's not a typical neutral chassidish school, mothers in neutral chassidish schools don't look like many mothers that send to Munkatch.
Does the school have any tzenuis rules? It's so weird to see a 2nd grade girl that was in pupa school last year and is now in Mukatch, and she's wearing tiny socks and a dress that just covers her behind. I see older girls in leggings and a mini skirt. This is unacceptable even in non chassidish schools. Do they have tzenuis standards or only high academic level standards?

amother
Jade

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 7:07 pm
As far as I know they do not learn chumash with English teitch, nor do they learn in a different havara. Mind you, I was in a chasidish school growing up and had some teachers who taught like that because they were not chasidish. No biggie.
This school is takka not bobov or Sanz. That's not who they are targeting .

Same thing here. Speak to an 8th grader. I heard it from one. Some Teachers are Litvish and teitch in English. I don't get the big deal. Was just trying to demonstrate how this is not a Pupa school. A teacher would not be able to teach Chumash in English there.

First Lady

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 7:11 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
It's not that the mothers look less chassidish, they look modern even for non chassidish schools standards. It's not a typical neutral chassidish school, mothers in neutral chassidish schools don't look like many mothers that send to Munkatch.
Does the school have any tzenuis rules? It's so weird to see a 2nd grade girl that was in pupa school last year and is now in Mukatch, and she's wearing tiny socks and a dress that just covers her behind. I see older girls in leggings and a mini skirt. This is unacceptable even in non chassidish schools. Do they have tzenuis standards or only high academic level standards?

That's so weird.
I know a few families that send there. They look perfectly Chassidish and refined. I cannot imagine they would be OK with what you're describing. Perhaps they took in a few families that are not living up to what they should be. But that happens in every school.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 7:14 pm
I don't know which girls and mothers you are referring to. I would definitely not brush the whole school with one broad brush just because some might fit your description. Definitely not majority. Every time I've been to a school function the girls looked fine and the tznius rules looked like they were being enforced. Do some mothers not follow the rules? Yes. Most? Definitely not.
Anyhow, everyone should do their own research. I'm just sharing my personal experience.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 7:23 pm
First Lady wrote:
That's so weird.
I know a few families that send there. They look perfectly Chassidish and refined. I cannot imagine they would be OK with what you're describing. Perhaps they took in a few families that are not living up to what they should be. But that happens in every school.

Exactly! It's very easy for families to promise that they'll follow the rules. Majority do but some unfortunately don't. That's why I find it unfair when they become the face of the school. There's also the aspect of motze Shem rah to be careful of when talking about a school.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 7:27 pm
I don't know which girls and mothers you are referring to. I would definitely not brush the whole school with one broad brush just because some might fit your description. Definitely not majority. Every time I've been to a school function the girls looked fine and the tznius rules looked like they were being enforced. Do some mothers not follow the rules? Yes. Most? Definitely not.
Anyhow, everyone should do their own research. I'm just sharing my personal experience.

I'm not brushing the entire school like this and I didn't say majority mothers are like this. I know some fine families as well But there are some families like this and I'd like to know what tzenuis standards the school has. Of course at a school function all girls look fine, they're in uniform. I'm talking about when there's no school. I like certain things about the school, but this is making me hesitate.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 7:33 pm
The school did not specifically dictate how the girls should dress outside of school. They trust that mothers would understand what's appropriate. That's what they told me at the interview.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 7:37 pm
The school did not specifically dictate how the girls should dress outside of school. They trust that mothers would understand what's appropriate. That's what they told me at the interview.

Thanks.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 7:41 pm

I went to an interview this year and last year. This year they did tell me that they will be more strict and are only looking to accept families that fit their standards.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 7:45 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I went to an interview this year and last year. This year they did tell me that they will be more strict and are only looking to accept families that fit their standards.

Thanks for this information.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 11:50 am
Is it hard to get in?

amother
Poppy

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 12:16 pm
amother Indigo wrote:
Is it hard to get in?

By now, unfortunately, yes.
$$$