Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
The Mishna Berurah Says We Have To Wear A Mask

GetReal

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 10:03 am
In a shiur by the maggid shiur Harav Shlomo Levenstein, he explained in the name of Hagaon Harav Chaim Kanievsky that there is currently an halachic obligation to wear a mask when leaving the house, Kikar H’Shabbos reported.

“I saw a sign at the entrance to shul that according to the instructions of the health ministry, everyone is obligated to wear a mask in shul,” Harav Levinstein said. “I want to draw your attention to a story.”

Rav Levenstein continued: “Someone mentioned to HaRav Chaim Kanievsky that he was wearing a mask due to the health ministry’s instructions and HaRav Chaim responded: ‘Why are you saying the government? Say the Mishna Berurah [obligates us].'”

“‘Which Mishna Berurah?’ the man responded. HaRav Chaim opened a Mishnah Berurah to Siman תקנ”ד, where it’s written that if there’s a difficult situation in a country, there’s a shaila whether to fast on Tisha B’Av or not.

“‘In the Biur Halacha, it’s written: ‘If someone wants to fast when the disease isn’t raging [the immediate danger has passed but the disease is still lurking], he should be advised and warned that he shouldn’t leave his house at all. When he does go out he should be forced to put something over his nose and mouth and a little grass [he calls the grass miata].'”

Harav Levinstein continued: “So Harav Chaim told him: ‘So why are you saying the government [obligates you]? Say the Mishnah Berurah. At a time when there’s a mageifah even when it’s not in full force, you must wear a mask.'”

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 10:20 am
Looking forward to the responses on this if this to see if it makes anyone change their anti mask feelings. My DH is becoming pretty anti mask.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 10:46 am
Not changing my mind, I'm pro-mask. I don't understand why anti maskers can't wear them for davening if they can handle it easily just as a chesed to the pro-maskers.
That aside, your sources are impeccable. And since so many people are Mishnah Brerurah yidden I think that's a great source. But ultimately, when it comes to psak, it's the living posek whose word carries the most weight.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:07 am
I accept Rav Kanievski's understanding of the Mishna Berura as being far superior to mine, but I'm not sure that I understand it.

This seems to say that if someone wants to fast - if he is weakening his body - he needs to take extra protective measures. I'm not sure how this is extended to the general population.

As I said, I have no problem accepting his ruling. For my own satisfaction, can anyone explain it to me?

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 6:21 pm
I am so happy that halacha bids us to do everything to preserve life.
If we need to wear a mask when around people, let's wear masks.

Cmon be nice

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 6:26 pm
The Lakewood scoop had this 5 weeks ago:
https://www.thelakewoodscoop.c......html

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 6:32 pm
So nice that they make the public aware!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 8:37 pm
I wanted to post this myself, and I'm glad someone beat me to it.

It's a pity this didn't get published before Purim, and distributed far and wide. Still, now that people are starting to slack off, this is an excellent reminder.

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 12:30 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I wanted to post this myself, and I'm glad someone beat me to it.

It's a pity this didn't get published before Purim, and distributed far and wide. Still, now that people are starting to slack off, this is an excellent reminder.

Yes, indeed.Great mistake not to introduce mandatory mask wearing in public transport and crowded places back in January or February.

So many lives could have been saved!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics