Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Shortening
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 5:21 pm
egam wrote:
If no one is eating it anyway, how about decorating it with fondant? Gefen makes one with heimishe hechsher.

If you are making it for a vort, you need something stable, that's not going to melt and run.

Right, I actually wanted to try both ways. With shortening, it actually should not run... I tried in the past with crisco

egam

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 5:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Right, I actually wanted to try both ways. With shortening, it actually should not run... I tried in the past with crisco

Right, I was referring to substituting with coconut oil. Shortening is the best bet if you can find the heimishe one. I've never seen it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 5:32 pm
egam wrote:
Right, I was referring to substituting with coconut oil. Shortening is the best bet if you can find the heimishe one. I've never seen it.

Oh sorry, lol... thanks. And thank you all for your replies.

nylon

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 6:16 pm
Elfrida wrote:
That was comprehensive. Thank you. I wonder why it remained an exclusively American product.

I've seen plenty of recipes with lard, which I automatically switch for margarine (and if that has a detrimental affect on the recipe; well, I have other priorities!) but I'd really never come across shortening. Maybe some kind of culinary snobbery...

There's similar European products. Trex is the closest equivalent in the UK. Effectively it's solid vegetable fat. The other advantage shortening has over butter is that it has an easier temperature range to work with. It will be workable out of the fridge, and won't melt and get oily as quickly in a hot kitchen.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone knows where in Boro park I could buy shortening for baking? I saw in one grocery crisco, but I prefer with a hechsher other than ou.

Op. Most groceries in kj sell the one with a good hechsher per 1 lb.
I myself am using it often for specific recipes

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 11:31 pm
[quote="amother [ Seafoam ]"]Op. Most groceries in kj sell the one with a good hechsher per 1 lb.
I myself am using it often for specific recipes[/quote
Thanks... I have no one there lol.....]

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 12:37 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Op. Most groceries in kj sell the one with a good hechsher per 1 lb.
I myself am using it often for specific recipes

I think you mean "sell it with hechsher X." Surely you didn't mean to imply that the OU is a bad hechsher - especially since the secondary one relies on it.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 1:12 am
What’s wrong with OU?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 1:27 am
To clarify, I have nothing against ou. However, many people, especially in the chassidishe circles don’t eat exclusive ou.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 2:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
To clarify, I have nothing against ou. However, many people, especially in the chassidishe circles don’t eat exclusive ou.

I know you don't, and it would be fine even if you said that it wasn't what you ate. I was talking to the poster who implied that it wasn't reliable.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 8:04 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
I know you don't, and it would be fine even if you said that it wasn't what you ate. I was talking to the poster who implied that it wasn't reliable.

I never said ou is not reliable
Op was asking for shortening with hechsher other then ou
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen