Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Why would moving out of Brooklyn save me so much money???
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 9:14 pm
Everyone seems to be saying that Brooklyn is so expensive and if we move, things would be so much more affordable. We are not so likely to move at this point, so this post is more about me just being curious... Just wondering why moving oot would save us so much

- we would need two cars out of town - here one car is enough since things are very walkable and when it's too far, there is usually a way to get where you want to go with public transportation. And even the car we do have, doesn't get used as much as a car would oot since things are a much shorter drive here (so less gas and car maintenance...)

- my job and my husband pay more here then oot (and I'm guessing most jobs probably do)

- from what I hear tuition is more expensive oot. We get a break on our tuition (pay around 4,000 a yr per kid - is it as likely to get a break oot?) But even if not, and we paid full, full tuition is $8,000 per child. (Even if oot is only two thousand dollars more, times that by a few kids and it's alot)

- most other places, the food is more expensive

-( I guess I shouldn't really count these bec there specific to me - but the services here are great (speech, ot, P3...) - we'd probably end up paying alot out of pocket anywhere else. Also we have family here so save alot on babysitting )

Yes a mortgage/rent is ALOT more in ny, but if you add in all the above money saved, doesn't it at least somewhat equal out? Or is there something I'm not thinking of?

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 9:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Everyone seems to be saying that Brooklyn is so expensive and if we move, things would be so much more affordable. We are not so likely to move at this point, so this post is more about me just being curious... Just wondering why moving oot would save us so much

- we would need two cars out of town - here one car is enough since things are very walkable and when it's too far, there is usually a way to get where you want to go with public transportation. And even the car we do have, doesn't get used as much as a car would oot since things are a much shorter drive here (so less gas and car maintenance...)

- my job and my husband pay more here then oot (and I'm guessing most jobs probably do)

- from what I hear tuition is more expensive oot. We get a break on our tuition (pay around 4,000 a yr per kid - is it as likely to get a break oot?) But even if not, and we paid full, full tuition is $8,000 per child. (Even if oot is only two thousand dollars more, times that by a few kids and it's alot)

-( I guess I shouldn't really count these bec there specific to me - but the services here are great (speech, ot, P3...) - we'd probably end up paying alot out of pocket anywhere else. Also we have family here so save alot on babysitting )

Yes a mortgage/rent is ALOT more in ny, but if you add in all the above money saved, doesn't it at somewhat equal out? Or is there something I'm not thinking of?

I think about this a lot too

lamplighter

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 9:25 pm
Quality of life is higher for equal cost of living.
That's what I figured.

Although based on posts here people in Lakewood seem to have the best of both world.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 9:25 pm
You move out because you have more living space for less money than you pay in the city.

You don't save money by moving out. If you can, stay!

The only correction I have is that Speech/OT/PT therapy is not out of pocket here.

City life is easier. Things are more accessible. It's one thing that you have to pay for another car. It's another thing that you have to drive around all day!

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 9:28 pm
lamplighter wrote:
Quality of life is higher for equal cost of living.
That's what I figured.

Although based on posts here people in Lakewood seem to have the best of both world.

In which way do ppl in Lakewood have the best of both worlds?

oneofakind

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 9:28 pm
People think the grass is greener on the other side and don't look at the details like you do. Sometimes they have unpleasant surprises.

Fabulous

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 9:34 pm
[quote="amother [ Turquoise ]"]In which way do ppl in Lakewood have the best of both worlds?[/quote

Tuition prices Are low. Often lower than Brooklyn- especially girls schools are 1/2 - 2/3 the price. Housing is cheaper and food is similar as well. Also technically it’s commutable you nyc area jobs, although it’s very hard

silverlining3

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 9:37 pm
I moved to Monsey, not with the thought of a cheaper lifestyle. Rather, you get more for your price.
-I'll rather pay more tuition, something that's worth, than more rent, something that's by far not worth.
-I don't have a huge apt, but in city, you won't ever find this size for the price I pay.
-We didn't have a car in the city, got here, only 1. I don't drive.
-We had more school options.
I'm not sure it comes out more expensive oot, but even if it does, a tiny bit, I still say, there's something about harchavas hadaas.

Last edited by silverlining3 on Tue, Jun 23 2020, 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 9:37 pm
[quote="Fabulous"]
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
In which way do ppl in Lakewood have the best of both worlds?[/quote

Tuition prices Are low. Often lower than Brooklyn- especially girls schools are 1/2 - 2/3 the price. Housing is cheaper and food is similar as well. Also technically it’s commutable you nyc area jobs, although it’s very hard

If you get in
Isn't there a shortage there

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 9:42 pm
I moved out of Brooklyn to Long Island. Everything is cheaper in Brooklyn besides for housing. Full tuition and all fees for my second grade is over 16k.
When people say leave Brooklyn because it’s cheaper they don’t mean you actually save money each month. It’s just money goes further. I’d rather spend 4K a month on a mortgage for a 4 Bdrm house with a yard and two cars then 4K for a three bedroom fully attacked rental with no yard and one car.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 9:50 pm
I live in lkwd in a 6 bdrm home. My mortgage is 3200 and bsmt tenants play 1200 of that. In the last 5 years ive been here I had almost no car pools because I sent to morahs in the area and older dd goes on the bus. Her tuition is around 5k and playgroups are 350. Next year I'll have one across the street by a morah and baby in the house with a babysitter. Bh live isnt half bad here...

oneofakind

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 9:50 pm
Real estate taxes are very high. Wages lower. Traveling or commuting for work, simchos, doctors is hard and expensive. Utilities for a big house is more money and so is taking care of that lawn.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 9:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes a mortgage/rent is ALOT more in ny, but if you add in all the above money saved, doesn't it at least somewhat equal out? Or is there something I'm not thinking of?

Yes, you should definitely consider all these other increased expenses if you're thinking about moving out of NYC. We moved because I couldn't take living in our 800 sq foot apartment with 8 kids anymore. But after taking all these added expenses into account we are far more financially strapped than we were in our worst days in NYC. Here's some other things to consider:

1. Home ownership cost money. Our mortgage may be cheap but things break, walls need to be painted, floors need to be repaired, gas lines, floods etc. etc. etc. All these things are hard to plan for and budget for.

2. A larger house means higher heating costs in winter and cooling costs in summer. And as the homeowner you pay all these bills yourself.

3. Not only are cars and gas expensive, cars also break down and need expensive repairs, often at the worst times.

4. If you make it work through a patchwork of part time jobs (like we did) then the loss of even one of these jobs can put you in a huge financial hole because it's not like you can easily pull back from any of your expenses.

5. Not a financial issue, but small town community politics can make your life hell. In NYC it's much easier to just find your niche and ignore whatever else is going on. You don't like one shul, daven somewhere else. You don't like the school, send your kids somewhere else. When you move OOT you really have only one chance to make it work.

You can't put toothpaste back into the tube, and after getting used to the freedom of living OOT I don't think we could squeeze ourselves in a Brooklyn apartment again. I don't know what will be with us financially but pretty much everyone is in the same boat.... It's all in Hashem's hands.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 10:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It does somewhat equal out, but you get more for your money. There is one thing though that you're not thinking of - once you're out of the rat's race, you and the kids need so much less. The peer pressure is much less here in regards to materialism, you end up saving a nice chunk on all those things you buy because of others.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 10:12 pm
oneofakind wrote:
Real estate taxes are very high. Wages lower. Traveling or commuting for work, simchos, doctors is hard and expensive. Utilities for a big house is more money and so is taking care of that lawn.

I forgot to mention--if you come in to NY for simchas or yom tov you end up paying scandalously high rent because who has room to put up your whole family?

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 10:15 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
It does somewhat equal out, but you get more for your money. There is one thing though that you're not thinking of - once you're out of the rat's race, you and the kids need so much less. The peer pressure is much less here in regards to materialism, you end up saving a nice chunk on all those things you buy because of others.

Yes and no. When we moved to our OOT community we thought it was so simple and non-materialistic. We bought a house that was spacious but very, very simple. Then more and more families from NYC started to move in looking for that materialistic gashmiusdike life and competing with each other who can buy the fanciest mcmansion (still ridiculously cheap by NY standards).

I was SO happy with our house when we moved, it was so perfect for our needs and huge after what we were used to (and a bargain price to boot). Now I feel like we are one of the shabbiest families in town.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 10:44 pm
I thought about this a lot and decided not to move yet. You have to balance your pros and cons. I have family in the City and we are very close spend a lot of time together. Also I like that my kids have their independence to walk to their friends. I have the opportunity to go to the country for free. So for now the quality of life is better here but I am open to moving once the scales tip.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 10:47 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
If you get in
Isn't there a shortage there

Brooklyn is no bowl of cherries in that dept..
And at least Lakewood has a vaad to help you...

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 11:13 pm
I feel the quality of life for us is the main reason we can never go back.
Life is simpler where I live, but not nebbachdik, there's no judgement.
A backyard is worth so much every single day. During quarantine, we were outside a lot.
School is expensive but was higher quality than where we were in Brooklyn.

Going into NY for Simchas is hard and expensive but still worth it.
Food costs more, we shop in Costco an Walmart more and buy less kosher companies when need CY/PY and Glatt.

We had to uber many times in NY, so car may be cheaper, we have one.

A lot depends on what kind of community you come from and where you go. You need a community that you fit into.

House prices here are typically around $400 with large yards.

Our quality of life has improved so much, we feel like a new family! Financially it's a wash, but we feel we get more bang for the buck.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 11:17 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Brooklyn is no bowl of cherries in that dept..
And at least Lakewood has a vaad to help you...
Punch

Nowadays it's much easier to get into schools in Brooklyn!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics