Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Any family will school aged kids staying in quarantine?
Previous  1  2

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 9:56 am
Get tested for antibodies.

I was so strict with quarantining my family because of hi risk members. Checked for antibodies & to my shock, I do have, even if I wasn't sick.

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 11:25 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:

I was so strict with quarantining my family because of hi risk members. Checked for antibodies & to my shock, I do have, even if I wasn't sick.

I would not rely on antibodies if you have high risk member. Especially if you weren’t sick...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 11:30 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:

Same, we were extremely strict and were positive on antibodies. No symptoms either. We were obviously exposed still before the lockdown.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 11:32 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
We're in monsey, kids are 9.5, 7 and 3. Still not playing with others. They do talk to friends in the yard at a distance of 10 feet, do a lot of outdoor visits to grandparents etc with 10 ft distance. But no going into anyone elses houses or real playing with anyone.
Doing totally fine BH. Theyre happy and enjoying themselves, doing projects etc. We go on car rides, biking in rockland lake when theres not many people around...

Im hearing more and more people (that I know personally) who had high enough anctibodies to donate plasma mid-may, and now got retested and have none at all.
So im not relying on any of this "herd immunity" stuff. I need to be able to see my mother and my inlaws (in their 60s) and right now this is what we gotta do...

So you’re not sending to daycamp? No one is high risk by you?

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 11:33 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Us. My kids are all still home from school. We met friends at a park last sunday, and my sister and her kids on Friday at my parents garden. Weve been on walks and to the park a few times. Besides that the kids havent been into a store since march (the 2 bigger ones, young teenagers, have gone a few times, with gloves). They havent seen any of their friends in real life at all.
Bh we have more than a handful of kids and they get along pretty well with each other, play games with each other (currently have a 3 day marathon of monopoly running on the dining room table), play in the garden together - we have a trampoline, play wii together.
We're mostly doing ok, every once in a while go through a tough few days (like today, they were hot and bored and DH and I were tired and had work to do - we both work from home but occasionally the work load is heavier - so they got frustrated). But then we all rally round, we do something hands on with them giving more quality time, and it rebalances.
They're not going to school or camp until September. Once online school finishes mid July, we'll go out more to outdoor places only.

Why are you guys still isolating? Where do you live that you are that scared to ease up a bit?

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 11:39 am
We were very sick and saw how terrible the virus can be. Even after we got better and people were not being strict, we were still being very careful.
At this point it’s not possible anymore. We live in Lakewood and all the schools opened the end of last week. Next week camps will start. We also had a family wedding recently and Sheva brochos... everything was regular with no social distancing at all.
At this point there’s nothing more I can do since the whole community is back to regular. Shuls were open for a month and a half already...
So far, no one has gotten the virus over the last month and half and we are hoping it will stay this way.
(There were a few random positives but those people didn’t even feel sick)
I hope this virus has left us for good. The community had it very bad during March and April.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 11:49 am
we were up until yesterday

mommy12

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 11:58 am
We're still social distancing. We do playdates outside with masks and the kids are told to stay apart from each other. We aren't sending to camps. I have 3 kids 10 and under.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 12:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So you’re not sending to daycamp? No one is high risk by you?

Not sending to daycamp. My mother and inlaws are in their 60s, so theyre at higher risk.
Not willing to take the chance, I saw too many people die, and a few of the ones that are "fine" now have weird medical complications that may be permanent.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 12:15 pm
Also, the NY department of health warned my friend's nursing home to be on guard for their elderly who already caught it, and have antibodies, to possibly catch it again because theyre seeing many cases of antibodies (that were high!) disappearing after 3 months. (I personally also know someone it happened to).

So im not resting so easy yet

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 12:17 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Not sending to daycamp. My mother and inlaws are in their 60s, so theyre at higher risk.
Not willing to take the chance, I saw too many people die, and a few of the ones that are "fine" now have weird medical complications that may be permanent.

Do ur mother and your in laws live by you?
My father is Immunosuppressed but my kids shouldn’t have to suffer because of that. If we do visit it’s 6 feet from their front door and with a mask. Otherwise, being that everyone in our home is healthy we are easing up and playing outside with friends.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 12:18 pm
Also curious, for those of you still being so careful will you keep your kids home in September if schools reopen?

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 12:22 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Do ur mother and your in laws live by you?
My father is Immunosuppressed but my kids shouldn’t have to suffer because of that. If we do visit it’s 6 feet from their front door and with a mask. Otherwise, being that everyone in our home is healthy we are easing up and playing outside with friends.

They dont live with us but we visit them often. We keep a distance even then, but not really sure why I should let my guard down and possibly have my family catch it. Monsey and spring valley zipcodes still have new cases reported daily (I check), which means it's still actually here...

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 12:59 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
They dont live with us but we visit them often. We keep a distance even then, but not really sure why I should let my guard down and possibly have my family catch it. Monsey and spring valley zipcodes still have new cases reported daily (I check), which means it's still actually here...

I don’t think the numbers will ever really be zero.

The reason we ended quarantine is because there is no long term plan.
Right now Cases are low. Hospitals are pretty empty. For my family it was the right time to start going out to breath before it starts up again
I’m not telling anyone to stop.
Just trying to figure out when the end plan is.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 1:06 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Also curious, for those of you still being so careful will you keep your kids home in September if schools reopen?

Yes.
Our school has plans for smaller classes, bleaching desks -which will be individual ones and kept apart, wearing masks and social distancing within the building. My children are older, rule followers, and can be trusted.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 1:07 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I don’t think the numbers will ever really be zero.

The reason we ended quarantine is because there is no long term plan.
Right now Cases are low. Hospitals are pretty empty. For my family it was the right time to start going out to breath before it starts up again
I’m not telling anyone to stop.
Just trying to figure out when the end plan is.

I believe the end plan is to do masks indoors for as long as necessary (until we have effective therapies or a vaccine) and maintain SD in high risk situations (I.e. shul, concerts, etc where there is singing) via spacing, masks, whatever reasonable. There are shuls in my ultra Chassidish community that are operating this way out of respect for the law and in general to be safe. Even if schools are open they should have regulations in place. There is no end game of normal without therapies/vaccination, but it does not have to be difficult. Honestly how hard is it to wear a mask in a grocery store or whatever else proved extremely effective in Japan and S Korea. We also need to have a plan as a community so that if chv this happens again with another virus or whatever else we will be more prepared and also encourage our govt to as well. Unfortunately NY and NJ were hit blind and reacted very slowly.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Feb 04 2022, 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 2:03 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Why are you guys still isolating? Where do you live that you are that scared to ease up a bit?

I live in England. Shuls are still legally closed, outdoor meetings are only with 1 other family up to 6 people (that changes next week to 6 people from multiple families). School has only opened part time for my 11 year old, officially with social distancing, and I was offered a nursery place for my 2 year old, where social distancing is impossible. Everyone else has no school to go to anyway, so it is not practical for me to get my 11 year old to school for the times he is able, and if I have so many kids home anyway, it is not worth it to send my 2 year old.
Also, my father is high risk and my sister is due to give birth soon, so I would like to help her knowing my family hasnt been exposed to at least 15 other families' germs (schools have kids in 'bubbles' of 8, officially you stick with your bubble).
None of us have been ill at all bh, and although it is probably inevitable that we will have to get ill at some point, it does scare me.
I would take my cleaner back, havent since the week after Purim, but I'm holding back on that too, so I guess there is a little bit of fear.
To the other poster who asked, yes, I'm keeping my kids with me over the summer too, we'll just do socially distanced outdoor trips, no place like amusement parks etc.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics