Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Cannot decide on career path, what to do???
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 10:26 pm
Hi all! I am an assistant teacher, and every year for the past few years I've been going through the "ok this is my last year and then I really don't want to be teaching anymore" thing. Problem is, didn't go for a formal education beyond seminary. And there was good reason for it. When I came home from sem, I had no clue what I wanted to do. I couldn't imagine at 19 making a decision about what I wanted to do every day for the rest of my life. It was so daunting to me. Eventually I somehow came across a remote leaning program for relaxation therapy. I started, then find out it was a scam. Then I had this flash of inspiration to either become a doula or an ultrasound technician. But I couldn't afford school. I ended up finding a local medical assistant program in a good school, but quit halfway through, because I suddenly became completely uninterested. So I stuck with teaching cuz that was the only thing making me money, and I decided I'd revisit the school thing work I have more of an idea of what I wanted to do. Then of course, I met a guy who ended up becoming my husband Smile and he was fresh outta college, so we stayed in my town so I could bring in an income until he found a job. Then I got pregnant, had a baby and continued teaching because that was the easiest thing for me to do. Now BH my husband has a job, but we really need another good income. I'm semi hitting myself over the head for not having done college, but semi ok with it cuz I still can't figure out what I have a passion for, what I really wanna do that won't burn me out. It's so stressful!! Any advice or encouragement??

singleagain

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 10:28 pm
There are aptitude tests to can take to help you figure out what you'll be good in, even if it's not a passion.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 11:37 pm
Shaina keren seems like she could help you. I used her and it didn't help for an actual job (I have a Master's anyways) but it helped pinpoint and understand my strengths. Google her you'll see podcasts and articles.
Edit she a career coach. Focuses heavily on aptitude and personality testing. I don't rmmbr what she charged but maybe 300 or under, I figured it would be more useful than a therapy session (which I was paying for and not helping)

Ora in town

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 12:22 am
If you don't have an idea, go on teaching. No hurry...

ora_43

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 1:32 am
Thoughts in no particular order -

• You're not going to figure out what your dream job is by thinking really hard about it. It's like someone who's only ever had vanilla ice cream trying to guess what their favorite flavor is going to be. You're only going to really know by trying.

Of course, none of us have the time or money in life to train for and try 1,000 different careers. You do have to narrow the search. But keep your expectations realistic - you're not trying to find The One here, you're trying to find something that more or less matches your skills and interests. From there, you can keep up the process of moving toward a position you love even more.

• You can narrow the list by looking at what parts of your current job you like; what you were good at in school; what you're good at when it comes to house management. Don't leave out things like "good at making phone calls to coordinate with others" or "positive outlook" or "always able to make conversation," those can be important too. Other things to look at: broad categories like working with people/ working with your hands/ working with information, high-intensity job vs low-intensity, how important it is for you to earn money or to do something you value, etc.

• It sounds like you have a general sense already that you might enjoy something related to medicine. Once you have a general idea like that, it can help to talk to a couple people who are currently working in that kind of job, and to hear from them 1. what exactly they do, 2. what is good/bad about their job, 3. (if they know you) if they think that kind of job would be right for you, and why/why not.

• Remember that not all motivation is extrinsic. In other words - no matter how good the program, no matter how perfect a fit the career, you might still completely lose interest sometimes. You have to find a way through that.

It could be that you need a job with a lot of novelty, or with an intense working environment, to keep your interest. Make that one of your 'narrowing the list' criteria - what kinds of jobs/activities have kept your interest over the long term? (And have any of them kept your interest without any kind of external pressure, eg a boss expecting results?)

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 3:00 pm
I was really unhappy teaching. I left it for coding, which I got trained for through a 3-month immersive program. There are several choices for training programs, many of them remote now. It is definitely a matter of putting your life on hold for 3 months--more months than that for the preparation before it and the job search after it. I'd say maybe about 9 months total but people do it in less. Many "boot camps" or 3 month immersives I referred to have income share agreements (so you don't have to pay upfront) or scholarships for tuition. You just have to find a way to cover living expenses. I knew others who took out personal loans for this and felt it was the best decision they ever made.

You have to actually enjoy coding and have some aptitude for it in order to do this which is a major factor. Try it out with a few of the free programs online like code academy and see how you feel about it.

Best decision I ever made. I'd say my husband was a better decision but I think me getting out of teaching saved our marriage because I was so unhappy so it's all connected. lol.

raich

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:50 pm
I highly recommend taking the Self Directed Search (SDS). It's a test that asks you questions to help you find the best occupations for yourself based on your talents and interests. You can google it for more info. Just did a quick search and looks like this one is free for now:

https://self-directed-search.c.....D_BwE

Good luck!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 6:13 pm
raich wrote:
I highly recommend taking the Self Directed Search (SDS). It's a test that asks you questions to help you find the best occupations for yourself based on your talents and interests. You can google it for more info. Just did a quick search and looks like this one is free for now:

https://self-directed-search.c.....D_BwE

Good luck!

Noooo!
I just took the test!
The top job for me is heating and refrigerator inspector! I kid you not
I won’t!

mamma llama

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 6:37 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Noooo!
I just took the test!
I won’t!

LOL

It told me I should be a tattoo artist! Hmmm, now that I think about it... Rolling Laughter

singleagain

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 6:43 pm
Try a different quiz. There are tons.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 6:46 pm
Oh I forgot to recommend this book
"I could do anything If I only knew what it were" by Barbara sher

raich

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:03 pm
OMG that's hilarious! I only took the test on actual paper with the original test material, so I'm sorry if I directed you to a weird website!

The real test gives you a 3 letter answer and there's a huge list of job ideas that incorporate those 3 in different orders. I found it to be highly accurate for myself and for the people I lent the test to.

(Hey, maybe the world needs more tattoo artists and appliance repair people LOL )

raich

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:04 pm
Also, I haven't actually read it, but I heard great things about the book "What Color is your Parachute?"

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi all! I am an assistant teacher, and every year for the past few years I've been going through the "ok this is my last year and then I really don't want to be teaching anymore" thing. Problem is, didn't go for a formal education beyond seminary. And there was good reason for it. When I came home from sem, I had no clue what I wanted to do. I couldn't imagine at 19 making a decision about what I wanted to do every day for the rest of my life. It was so daunting to me. Eventually I somehow came across a remote leaning program for relaxation therapy. I started, then find out it was a scam. Then I had this flash of inspiration to either become a doula or an ultrasound technician. But I couldn't afford school. I ended up finding a local medical assistant program in a good school, but quit halfway through, because I suddenly became completely uninterested. So I stuck with teaching cuz that was the only thing making me money, and I decided I'd revisit the school thing work I have more of an idea of what I wanted to do. Then of course, I met a guy who ended up becoming my husband Smile and he was fresh outta college, so we stayed in my town so I could bring in an income until he found a job. Then I got pregnant, had a baby and continued teaching because that was the easiest thing for me to do. Now BH my husband has a job, but we really need another good income. I'm semi hitting myself over the head for not having done college, but semi ok with it cuz I still can't figure out what I have a passion for, what I really wanna do that won't burn me out. It's so stressful!! Any advice or encouragement??

Kinda in the same boat. I am actually a medical assistant! Then moved to in town and realized that no one cares if you're certified and pay is nothing anyway. But I have a fear of college, and I did try to even take pre-requisites for nursing school but I really struggle academically and was not able to continue. It makes me sad sometimes but I do accept my challenges. I wish I would have a good job now to support my husband through college. When we first got married, he couldn't believe that I was ok being an MA-little pay (I was never a money person) and happy with what I did. I gave it up bc I had a hard time finding the type of job I wanted after we got married. I am with you all the way! I would like to maybe be an office manager and trying to work my way there without the college. It's very hard, at the same time I also hate working and only work to support us.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:21 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Kinda in the same boat. I am actually a medical assistant! Then moved to in town and realized that no one cares if you're certified and pay is nothing anyway. But I have a fear of college, and I did try to even take pre-requisites for nursing school but I really struggle academically and was not able to continue. It makes me sad sometimes but I do accept my challenges. I wish I would have a good job now to support my husband through college. When we first got married, he couldn't believe that I was ok being an MA-little pay (I was never a money person) and happy with what I did. I gave it up bc I had a hard time finding the type of job I wanted after we got married. I am with you all the way! I would like to maybe be an office manager and trying to work my way there without the college. It's very hard, at the same time I also hate working and only work to support us.

I never knew a medical assistant gets paid so little! That’s crazy!

lovingmommy3417

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:22 pm
I could have written this post myself. Literally. I'm an assistant teacher and looking into a healthcare degree. I have put it off for 8 years bec I cant make up my mind.
I have come to the conclusion that for me it's all about my mindset.
I have over the last couple of years just decided to be happy and actively work on being excited about what I am doing.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:29 pm
Noooo!
I just took the test!
I won’t!

Me too! What's up with that?!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:51 pm
raich wrote:
OMG that's hilarious! I only took the test on actual paper with the original test material, so I'm sorry if I directed you to a weird website!

The real test gives you a 3 letter answer and there's a huge list of job ideas that incorporate those 3 in different orders. I found it to be highly accurate for myself and for the people I lent the test to.

(Hey, maybe the world needs more tattoo artists and appliance repair people LOL )

That’s the one!
Apparently I’m s I a
Social, investigative, artistic
Now tell me- Would your artistic appliance be willing to socialize with me? Humph
(There was a list- this showed up as number one!)

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:53 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Me too! What's up with that?!

Competition- huh?!
Don’t start up with me.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:56 pm
Competition- huh?!