Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Storing potatoes, onions, garlic

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 7:37 am
How do you store potatoes, onions, and garlic? I need a neat way for a small kitchen. Any ideas, or links to what I can buy inexpensive to store them in? Thanx!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 7:41 am
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T.....SSB1G

This hang on the inside of a cabinet.

Anyone have a good snack bag storage ideas? I buy 20-30 at a time

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 7:58 am
I have this on the floor in the corner

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:00 am
They need to be stored in a cool dark place. I use an open plastic bin which can. be cleaned easily and keep the bin in a lower cabinet. Garlic is small and so I keep a small flattish container in an upper drawer.

I also have a small kitchen and so I adjust the amount of stuff that I keep in the kitchen. I don't bring home 25 pounds of potatoes because I have no room to store them. An exception might be if I were making some kind of large gathering but then I wouldn't worry about storing potatoes attractively.

One thing that I do with ALL storage is that I think outside the box. Not everything needs to be stored in the kitchen as you just need to store what you use often. People use to keep potatoes and other root vegetables like onions in their root cellar where conditions were dark and cool. Perhaps you have similar storage capability outside of your kitchen and just get the potatoes or onions that you need and only keep a small amount in the kitchen.

silverlining3

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:55 am
All in fridge right away

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 9:06 am
silverlining3 wrote:
All in fridge right away

These shouldn't be stored in the refrigerator. A cool temperature is ideal as it prolongs life of the potato and also enhances flavor and possibly nutritional value

Don't t Store Raw Potatoes in the Fridge or Freezer
While cool temperatures are ideal for potato storage, refrigeration and freezing are not.

Very low temperatures can cause “cold-induced sweetening.” This happens when some of the starch is converted to reducing sugars (10Trusted Source).

Reducing sugars can form carcinogenic substances, known as acrylamides, when fried or exposed to very high cooking temperatures, so it’s best to keep levels low (11Trusted Source, 12).

Uncooked potatoes should also never be stored in the freezer.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 9:17 am
I store potatoes in the cabinet under my sink in a basket (or foil pan). Onions and garlic are in a 3 tier hanging metal basket (tomatoes go in the middle basket).

I find this works well and doesn’t take up much space. I’ve had the hanging basket since I lived in an apartment with a tiny kitchen- it opened up into the dining/living room and the basket hung from the one side of the doorway. It helped define the space.

challahchallah

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 9:24 am
On a shelf in my basement.

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 11:55 am
Amarante wrote:

One thing that I do with ALL storage is that I think outside the box.

No pun intended, of course.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 12:02 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I store potatoes in the cabinet under my sink in a basket (or foil pan).

Not to burst your bubble, but you should never store food under a sink. The area is vulnerable to leaks, which would ruin the food, and is an attractive way station for bugs and rodents, which ditto. This is not amother talking, this is the health department talking. I do inspections for a related agency and have cited offices that stored food in the cabinet under the kitchenette sink. And not open food like potatoes but snacks packed in hermetically sealed mylar bags, which are arguably less vulnerable to damage.

We also cite establishments storing food near the floor because it can get wet when the floor is mopped or if anything spills. Just saying...

raich

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 1:45 pm
Aside, try to avoid putting onions and potatoes in the same bin. They both go bad faster. I think onions and garlic are okay together. Make sure the bins are well ventilated also.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 3:13 pm
A good place to store potatoes and onions is close to where you will cut them. Wicker baskets on a shelf inside a cabinet will provide the dark, cool dry conditions potatoes and onions both like.

Several years ago we found a basket weaver at a craft fair who made heavy-duty basket drawers; Dh put slides on the drawers and built them into a cabinet:

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 3:28 pm
Onions and garlic are in the fridge

SuperWify

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 6:22 pm
Under the sink in a mesh wire or plastic bin.

But store them in separate bins to prevent spoiling.

Garlic in the fridge.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics