Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
‘Coming Back And Biting Us’: US Sees Virus Resurgence
Previous  1  2

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 9:14 pm
Yes they can start with all the protesters.

Oops -- forgot they were told they're not allowed to do that contact and trace protesters/people who attended the crowded protests/rioters.

ora_43

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 1:14 am
Just One wrote:
I agree this is worrying. What is the alternative though? Are we ready to shut the world down every couple of weeks?
I don't think it's a good long term solution

No. But that's why we need some kind of day-to-day restrictions that are workable - so that we don't end up needing to overbalance in the other direction.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 8:20 am
nchr wrote:
The US needs to have better contact tracing. They should trace where the exposure occured to help us develop better policy. We know indoors with singing is a high risk activity but if we cannot monitor every hotspot in Texas or what not it is hard to see how to prevent outbreaks moving forward. Also many of these places are struggling with lack of masks even indoors so better mask policy is a must.

Contact tracing in theory is helpful. In the early days you'd hear on local news, if you were at this bank in this city, etc. And recently I hear, if you were in this bar at a certain day.
But I don't think it's going to work. You have to reach a fairly high percentage of the people testing positive and they have to be forthcoming. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

nchr

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 8:27 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Contact tracing in theory is helpful. In the early days you'd hear on local news, if you were at this bank in this city, etc. And recently I hear, if you were in this bar at a certain day.
But I don't think it's going to work. You have to reach a fairly high percentage of the people testing positive and they have to be forthcoming. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

I'm referring to identifying where the outbreaks came from. We understand now most were toed to superspread events so if we can narrow down which we can disallow those types of events or require better SD and masking there for the future which will prevent future infections without the need for shutdowns. Superspreading has so far been tied to religious ceremonies (due to singing indoors which is a high transmission event) indoor party etc. So are these new cases tied to bars and nightclubs (high risk location) or is there something new we should be looking into? It's unlikely for a superspread event to be tied to outdoor behavior. We need to know where people were to determine where they got the virus and then we can better reduce future spread.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 8:41 am
PinkFridge wrote:

Other countries are managing well to keep it at bay with contact tracing. Israel, Germany & South Korea to name a few. No reason US would be any less successful if they wanted to.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 9:06 am
I keep thinking theres more positives now bec they have more testing now and a lot of the positives could be false positives like I had. Could be from shedding of the old virus

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 9:08 am
The US cannot succeed at contact tracing so long as protesters POC are excluded. Like that one oregon country that mandates mask wearing except for POC...

Covid is truly color blind. Unfortunately some politicians and the media not so much.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 9:08 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
I keep thinking theres more positives now bec they have more testing now and a lot of the positives could be false positives like I had. Could be from shedding of the old virus

I wonder about the shedding. I heard that positives are most likely early on, like first few days of symptoms, and not as likely weeks later.

Ora in town

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 9:28 am
nchr wrote:
I'm referring to identifying where the outbreaks came from. We understand now most were toed to superspread events so if we can narrow down which we can disallow those types of events or require better SD and masking there for the future which will prevent future infections without the need for shutdowns. Superspreading has so far been tied to religious ceremonies (due to singing indoors which is a high transmission event) indoor party etc. So are these new cases tied to bars and nightclubs (high risk location) or is there something new we should be looking into? It's unlikely for a superspread event to be tied to outdoor behavior. We need to know where people were to determine where they got the virus and then we can better reduce future spread.

Well, what's not new is that mass assemblies cause superspread.

So it is definitely reckless to organise packed assemblies with over 1000 participants in such a time!!!

Bars and clubs seem to be a major transmission factor in the community...

As well as indoor events with singing or shouting...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics