Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
A few questions

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 5:07 pm
1. Should we bring our Honda Odyssey 2015 van to israel? We finally finished paying off for the car and we really don’t want to pay for another car in israel. Is it worth bringing our van?

2. What’s the usual price of rent for 4-5 bedrooms? I’m looking for affordable, is 4000 shekels considered cheap? I know it depends on the area and type of apartments. We would prefer to live in or not far from the center but not a huge city, if possible an Israeli yeshuv but not settlements. If possible a two family house or private or a garden house or duplex.

3. Besides rent fee, what usually is in the monthly charge as well?

4. When Israeli sites list apartments as “5 rooms” is that 5 bedrooms or really less? Like 4 bedrooms and a living room?

Thanks

Reality

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 5:26 pm
It is shabbos already in Israel. But from various webinars I have some answers:

1. People advise not to bring a Honda Odyssey. If you do bring over a mini van a Toyota Sienna is the better option.

2. I can't help you

3. Renters pay arnona on top of the rental fees.

4. 4 room apartment = 3 bedroom apartment

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 5:27 pm
Thank you. Any idea why not Honda Odyssey? We can’t afford another one.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 5:34 pm
And this brings me to another question
Since Olim get a tax break, it might be better for us to buy a new one in israel but how are the prices? I know they don’t have many mini vans over there, which cars do they usually buy for a family of 6?
And... is gas super expensive?
Thanks

Reality

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 6:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you. Any idea why not Honda Odyssey? We can’t afford another one.

I don't remember why. I just remember watching a webinar that said not to. That there are no Hondas in Israel. Hopefully after shabbos someone in Israel will have more info.

Reality

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 6:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And this brings me to another question
Since Olim get a tax break, it might be better for us to buy a new one in israel but how are the prices? I know they don’t have many mini vans over there, which cars do they usually buy for a family of 6?
And... is gas super expensive?
Thanks

Again from that webinar, you have to decide what works for your family. The tax break is only on a new car. It may still be cheaper to buy a used car and have to pay the taxes.

I have heard that gas is expensive.

camp123

Post Sat, Jun 27 2020, 2:08 pm
Don't know so much about cars. But from what I've heard taxes are high if you import a car. A new mini van is very expensive, a smaller seven seater car can cost about 150000 shekel new. Gas in Israel is taxed and so is expensive.

4000 is cheap for rent in the center. 4 room apartment means 3 bedrooms. A four bedroom apartment close to the center could be 6000shekel. If you look in a yishuv further away it could be much cheaper. A settlement is a yishuv. I suspect you mean you don't want a yishuv over the green line.

On top of rent you need to pay arnona and vaad bayit if you are in an apartment building.

A private or garden house in the center of the country is probably over 8000 shekel a month to rent and much more of its very big. Obviously prices very according to the area and size. These are very rough estimates, look on yad 2 to get a better idea.

amother
Blush

Post Sat, Jun 27 2020, 3:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
1. Should we bring our Honda Odyssey 2015 van to israel? We finally finished paying off for the car and we really don’t want to pay for another car in israel. Is it worth bringing our van?

2. What’s the usual price of rent for 4-5 bedrooms? I’m looking for affordable, is 4000 shekels considered cheap? I know it depends on the area and type of apartments. We would prefer to live in or not far from the center but not a huge city, if possible an Israeli yeshuv but not settlements. If possible a two family house or private or a garden house or duplex.

3. Besides rent fee, what usually is in the monthly charge as well?

4. When Israeli sites list apartments as “5 rooms” is that 5 bedrooms or really less? Like 4 bedrooms and a living room?

Thanks

Shavua tov from Israel!

1. I don't know anyone who thinks it's a good idea to bring a car. I bought a Honda Civic here, but don't recall seeing too many Odyssey minivans. Definitely not worth bringing a car if you can't get parts for it here.

2. 4000 shekel is pretty cheap, but a lot depends where you live. Also, a yishuv IS a settlement.

3. In addition to rent, you'll pay arnona (real estate tax) and, if you are in an apartment building, vaad habayit. Generally, rentals don't come with appliances, so you will have to buy a fridge, oven, washer/dryer etc.

4. Room numbers count the living room but not the kitchen. So generally, a 5 room apartment has 4 bedrooms.

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Jun 27 2020, 3:22 pm
1. Sell the car and buy something here - may be worth buying 2nd hand if you are really on a tight budget. Makes no sense to bring a car that isn't sold here, mechanics won't be able to service, no parts... Selling and buying second hand should come out similar price and it's not like your car is brand new.

2. 4,000 nis is cheap if you want near the center. You could find a yishuv that is not over the green line but it would probably be up north. I would go to yad2, put in 4,000 nis and a 5 -6 rooms (4-5 bedrooms) and see what places come up.

3. Arnona (like a property tax that you pay even when you rent) really depends on square meters and where it is. I live in an expensive part of jerusalem and pay 800 for 2 months for a 67 m"r aprtment, usually when you see a listing on yad2 it will list arnona, that is a good way to get an idea of how much it will be in your area. Vaad bayit can range from 100 - 300 nis ime. If you are in a yishuv there are additional fee's for membership and security. Utilities really depend on your usage, memebers of family....

4. 4 rooms is 3 bedrooms +bedroom - unless it's a realtor catering to american clientele.

Teomima

Post Sat, Jun 27 2020, 5:12 pm
You've gotten a lot of good answers for your questions so I'm not going to repeat them but I will clarify a couple of points. First of all, in addition to the arnona and vaad bayit fees mentioned, you'll also have to pay utilities (gas, water, and electricity).

Second, while what you seek might be possible (though I highly doubt you'll find it for 4,000), it's also not terribly realistic Israeli living. Most Israelis live in apartments and kids share bedrooms. Yes of course there are people in houses with yards and more bedrooms, especially if you look in yishuvim. But I also see so many people who come here looking to recreate their life in the States and the fact is that this isn't the States. This is not a country where the norm is a large minivan, houses, yards, and five bedrooms. You can find it but make sure your mentality is set for Israel. If you come here looking for the houses, cars, and foods you're used to, your life here will be a struggle. But if you come with the mentality of an Israeli, ready to stick 2-3 kids in a room and drive a Mazda 5, then you'll find it much easier to manage. Which isn't to say you can't have everything you're asking for! Just don't forget this is a different country, with different standards.

banana123

Post Sat, Jun 27 2020, 5:36 pm
Besides for the good answers you've received already, and Teomima's important note, I want to suggest you open a new thread listing what you're looking for in terms of housing, and asking for recommendations on where to live.

To me 4000 for 4-5 bedrooms not in an apartment building sounds unrealistic for the center of the country. But it also sounds like something that's possible, if you are willing to live in a small town or somewhere in Yesha.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 27 2020, 9:53 pm
Thank you so much for all your helpful answers. Lots of things to think about, and of course to plan for, which is why I’m taking the whole year to plan it.

I think I have now a better understanding that we shouldn’t bring our Honda Odessy. I wish we could because we finally finished paying for it. But I hope we’ll be able to sell it at a fair price. For those of you who knows cars, what’s the estimated 2nd hand cars price in israel for 6-7 seats and usually what kind of cars do they sell for that amount of seats?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions