Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
The Chazon Ish on TCHUPS
Previous  1  2  3

giselle

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 12:38 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Do you mean long hair behind the ear?
Long hair in front of the ear?

We trim to wear the hair stops growing in front of the ear and trim with scissors - thin and short.

According to Halacha it is 100% Muttar
My sons cheder occasionally sends out reminders to parents not to shave the hair around the ear. We don’t do that.

Just like a little hair in front of the ear where sideburns grow. That’s what I call peyos.. that’s what the boys’ schools here require.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:13 am
giselle wrote:
Just like a little hair in front of the ear where sideburns grow. That’s what I call peyos.. that’s what the boys’ schools here require.

How long is it required to be?
Do they continue once they grow sideburns?

giselle

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 6:38 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
How long is it required to be?
Do they continue once they grow sideburns?

Not long.. depends how yeshivish. Most people I know don’t grow them once they grow sideburns, but the more yeshivish people do grow them and tuck behind their ears.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 7:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
There’s no comparison between a chassidish minhag that’s passed down, and a trend of jews copying a gentile style.

All your chassidish clothes come from the fashion of the goim !!!!!
It was the clothes of the time ....!!!
Look at pictures!!!!

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 8:52 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
All your chassidish clothes come from the fashion of the goim !!!!!
It was the clothes of the time ....!!!
Look at pictures!!!!

Granted. But back in Europe, no one was changing their glasses/tie width/socks/lapels/etc. every season and a half based on whim. Chassidim now davka do what they can to avoid looking like they're prey to fashion dictates now; I remember a chassidishe imamother describing (this was a few years ago, I don't remember which thread) how hemlines in her community only change by an inch or so one way or another so as NOT to be what's in vogue.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:00 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Granted. But back in Europe, no one was changing their glasses/tie width/socks/lapels/etc. every season and a half based on whim. Chassidim now davka do what they can to avoid looking like they're prey to fashion dictates now; I remember a chassidishe imamother describing (this was a few years ago, I don't remember which thread) how hemlines in her community only change by an inch or so one way or another so as NOT to be what's in vogue.

There's no community more prey to fashion dictates than chassidim. True, they may not be following the fashion in other circles, but within their own little world, women absolutely need to dress according to a definite yet arbitrary set of rules.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:02 am
PinkFridge wrote:

Maybe the men avoid fashion dictates. The women certainly don't.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:11 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Maybe the men avoid fashion dictates. The women certainly don't.

Right! And have you seen their children??

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:19 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Right! And have you seen their children??
excuse me?
Just replace the word they with a color, then you'll have this entire site up in arms. And yes, I found your comment offensive.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:42 am
ShishKabob wrote:
excuse me?
Just replace the word they with a color, then you'll have this entire site up in arms. And yes, I found your comment offensive.

It's a fact that many chassidic women are very fashionable, and take care to dress their kids fashionably. You can see that as a compliment or an insult, depending on your perspective.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 10:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
There’s no comparison between a chassidish minhag that’s passed down, and a trend of jews copying a gentile style.

passed down for how long? because much of chassidish dress today is pretty new, hardly what I'd call passed down.

For example, in prewar Chassidish life, very few chassidim owned a shtreimel. And in many Chassidish yeshivos before the war, most bachurim wore regular hats and were clean-shaven (as told to me by my grandfather, who learned in Vishive).

giselle

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 10:20 am
ShishKabob wrote:
excuse me?

Which part was offensive? Many would find that complimentary.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 10:30 am
giselle wrote:
Which part was offensive? Many would find that complimentary.

Most probably there’s a guilty complex there...
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics