Home

I’m Hashem n Farfel — AMA!
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

thunderstorm

Post  Sun, Jun 28 2020, 2:42 pm
OP, you are amazing! You did so much in your 23 years already ! Curious as to whether there is a cultural difference being that you grew up American and that your DH is Hungarian. I’m asking , because one of my siblings who grew up in BP married a BT from Hungary. She’s the sweetest person and we love her. I know that my brother is challenged with the cultural difference between him growing up American vs she being Hungarian . Do you feel that difference too?

Hashem_n_Farfel

Post  Sun, Jun 28 2020, 2:50 pm
Tzedek Tirdof wrote:
Would you not want to move back to AZ as a frum couple and make a life there?

I’m totally up for it but there are no chasidim there
The Jews there are mostly a mix of traditional conservative reform with a drop of regular frum families there.
Also my husband would quickly veto it because of that and that he prefers a place where there’s a HUGE number of frum people like in NYC or Eretz Yisroel

Hashem_n_Farfel

Post  Sun, Jun 28 2020, 3:01 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
OP, you are amazing! You did so much in your 23 years already ! Curious as to whether there is a cultural difference being that you grew up American and that your DH is Hungarian. I’m asking , because one of my siblings who grew up in BP married a BT from Hungary. She’s the sweetest person and we love her. I know that my brother is challenged with the cultural difference between him growing up American vs she being Hungarian . Do you feel that difference too?

Thanks!
I don’t honestly notice.
I grew up in a Mexican Spanish speaking household so I guess the way we raise our little boy is different haha.

For example:

If my baby hurts himself (like once he pulled on his baby walker to stand and he fell backwards) he would quickly pick him up and say “it’s okay it’s okay” and I’ll say very playfully, “see *baby’s name* what you did this is what happens when you do that!” Then I’ll get the baby and kiss him and laugh at the same time

My husband thinks it’s weird haha.

In Mexican households the mothers tease their kids E N D L E S S L Y for every mistake they do but it’s really out of love and they do it to set their kids straight (Te calmas o te calmo! which means “calm down or I’ll calm you down” — when my mother would say that while I was begging for something I’d behave right away) and to be better productive people.
Other people who don’t understand Mexican culture and mindset think it’s emotional or mental abuse so 😎

Newmami

Post  Sun, Jun 28 2020, 4:08 pm
I'm supper inspired by you!!

Ora in town

Post  Sun, Jun 28 2020, 4:13 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Thanks!

My husband thinks it’s weird haha.

In Mexican households the mothers tease their kids E N D L E S S L Y for every mistake they do but it’s really out of love and they do it to set their kids straight (Te calmas o te calmo! which means “calm down or I’ll calm you down” — when my mother would say that while I was begging for something I’d behave right away) and to be better productive people.
Other people who don’t understand Mexican culture and mindset think it’s emotional or mental abuse so 😎

This used to exist in other cultures too... "Stop crying or I will give you a reason to cry"...

...but fortunately, most parents recognise that this might not be the way to go...

Tzedek Tirdof

Post  Sun, Jun 28 2020, 4:23 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
I’m totally up for it but there are no chasidim there
The Jews there are mostly a mix of traditional conservative reform with a drop of regular frum families there.
Also my husband would quickly veto it because of that and that he prefers a place where there’s a HUGE number of frum people like in NYC or Eretz Yisroel

But there are Chabad families in AZ?

Hashem_n_Farfel

Post  Sun, Jun 28 2020, 4:34 pm
There are but my husband prefers a place with 90% frum people in it and huge— with many families

DREAMING

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 8:48 pm
What other “heimish” foods do you like besides Farfel and was it hard to get used to new foods

Hashem_n_Farfel

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 8:53 pm
DREAMING wrote:
What other “heimish” foods do you like besides Farfel and was it hard to get used to new foods

Matzah ball soup
Yemenite soup
Potato kugel
Cholent

Most of it is shabbos food:/

Hashem_n_Farfel

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 8:56 pm
When I first saw a piece of potato kugel I was like

“what is that brown thing? A brownie?”
3 seconds later
“Why does it smell salty”
Millisecond later
“I wanna try it but I’m scared to”
“Okay one bite”

“Omg yummm”

Hashem_n_Farfel

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 8:58 pm
I came to NY just before pesach. Like 2 or 3 days before pesach
Pesach comes
And I was eyeing the purple horseradish during the seuda and I took one big spoonful thinking it was sweet....

It was sooooo embarrassing lol

chestnut

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:00 pm
Ora in town wrote:
This used to exist in other cultures too... "Stop crying or I will give you a reason to cry"...

...but fortunately, most parents recognise that this might not be the way to go...

Sort of like Hashem did with tisha beav?

dancingqueen

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:01 pm
Op thanks for sharing! I would love it if you shared some Mexican food recipes with us, yum!

(And what exactly is farfel?)

mommyW

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:08 pm
Did you by any chance ever tell your story at a party? I remember someone a giyores coming to tell her life story at one of the big tzeddakah parties. Was it you?

shanie5

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:22 pm
malki2 wrote:
Send me a good recipe. I’ll give it another chance.

This one is easy and yummy:
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....83944

Hashem_n_Farfel

Post  Tue, Jun 30 2020, 6:03 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Op thanks for sharing! I would love it if you shared some Mexican food recipes with us, yum!

(And what exactly is farfel?)

Yes!
I made them kosher...
To this day I’m still asking my mum for recipes, I’ll make a separate longer thread in the recipes forum later iyH

Idk farfel is pasta according to my husband lol

Hashem_n_Farfel

Post  Tue, Jun 30 2020, 6:04 pm
mommyW wrote:
Did you by any chance ever tell your story at a party? I remember someone a giyores coming to tell her life story at one of the big tzeddakah parties. Was it you?

Nope never spoke to a public audience. I’m too shy lol. Maybe might do a small group of ladies one day

Sorry!
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Recent Topics

Page 4 of 4 View latest: 24h 48h 72h