Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Where would we best fit?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 1:06 am
I’ve heard of a few cities/communities but would like to hear some opinions/advice from here too.

We are modern orthodox, but I don’t cover my hair. My husband is sepharadic and speaks ladino, would love to be close to a few sepharadic shuls.

Need to be close to excellent religious schools, can be coed (my kids will be in elementary).

Doesn’t have to be a huge city, I prefer small and quiet neighborhoods.

Possibly not far from the center and close to public transportation.

Looking to rent a 3-4 bedroom garden apartment or an apartment in a small building (not 10+ floors).

I don’t mind living in a mixed community with religious and secular. But my husband is picky about the people... if the community has relatively nice, friendly, intelligent people.

We don’t have to be in an Anglo section.

Any ideas?
Is petach tikvah a city to explore for us? I heard some good things. But really the main issue is finding excellent schools and affordable apartments.

Thanks

kneidel94

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 1:35 am
We live in Kiryat Hasharon. We love it here! It’s in Netanya, and is a 10 minute drive to the beach. There’s a medium sized Anglo religious community that is so warm and welcoming. The area itself is mixed religious and secular, and the religious are more modern orthodox. There are many saphardi Shul’s nearby. There are 3+ frum schools in the area. Apartments are really nice but for a garden apartment you are looking to spend 5500 shekels per month minimum

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 1:41 am
Where will you be working? Gush Etzion could be a nice fit, but it's not great if you have to commute to the Tel Aviv area. Modiin would be better if you need to be near the center. Givat Shmuel has a mix, as well.

Rappel

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 1:53 am
Ladino? I've heard of two truly Spanish communities, one in Raanana, the other in Netanya. Otherwise, you may fit in many places. Do you have any other preferences to consider?

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 2:25 am

Last edited by amother on Tue, Aug 17 2021, 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 8:25 am
Rappel wrote:
Ladino? I've heard of two truly Spanish communities, one in Raanana, the other in Netanya. Otherwise, you may fit in many places. Do you have any other preferences to consider?

It would’ve so nice to live close to people who speak spanish/ladino but not necessary. I think I heard Ranana apartments are expensive?

Looking mostly for a quiet area, can be in a city, possibly in or near the center ... I know it’s not as affordable as you get closer to the center though, so doesn’t have to be really really close, but not far in the north or south because most likely we’ll work in the center.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 8:30 am
We have a nice sized Sephardi population in Modi'in, but I don't know if they're Sephardim tehorim or if any of them speak Ladino. Majority of the dati population is dati leumi/MO light so you'd be perfectly comfortable wearing pants or not covering.

Transportation out of the city works fairly well, transportation inside the city can be a hit or a miss.

Affordable apartment prices depend on what you consider affordable. 3 room apartments are going for upwards of 1.6 million shekel, 4 room is 2 million plus depending on size and neighborhood.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 10:04 am
There is Mazkeret Batya, which is like a small town near Rehovot. It has its own train station, which is very handy for commuting.

The dati community there is mainly MO - from more right wing to more liberal. They have an active shul there with minyan shivyoni (an Orthodox shul where women can also read from the Torah). They have lots and lots of anglos.
They have very good school options.

It isn't that cheap though. Any place with MO anglos won't be cheap. What is your budget?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 5:15 pm
lovelymother wrote:
In Petach tikva you have excellent schools , it develops so great and you have many quality areas there .
Givaat Shmuel is great and high quality as well , but the prices for rent in both places are not cheap .
Hatzlacha

Any idea which areas to look for in petach tikva?
I'm looking to be close to sepharadic shuls, excellent schools.
I prefer of course a garden apartment, but most likely will go over the budget, so can be an apartment, but prefer not a high building, and should be a well kept one. If I'm lucky to find anything in the range of 4000-5000 rent a month for 4 bedrooms...is that too unrealistic? I'm not sure the price range in petach tikvah.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 5:58 pm

Last edited by amother on Tue, Aug 17 2021, 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 6:11 pm
lovelymother wrote:
OP
Kfar Gnim כפר גנים area in Petach Tikva will be just great for you, maybe 5000 will be enough I don't know
It's a great place, great great schools
I lived there, many shuls ,
Also Em Hamoshavot אם המושבות in Petach Tikva is a very very good place, I worked in the schools there, great ones.
It's not a frum community only , it's mixed with secular and a lot of dati leumi families.
Considered a high quality place and people as well.
I'm not sure about english speakers
You can check prices at the website
Yad 2 =יד שניה
Categorie : נדל"ן = real estate
השכרה = rent
מכירה = sale

Thanks for letting me know, I’ll check it out. I know it’s a large city and would really love to live not in a city, but I think a city would be better for my husband with everything close by. I’m just looking for excellent schools, nice friendly people and sepharadic shuls in the area, can be a mix and I’m fine if it doesn’t have many anglos,

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 6:20 pm
It depends what you mean by MO.

If you mean actively left-wing MO, with elements like minyan shivyoni, then you have places like Mazkeret Batya, possibly Zichron - both quite expensive. You can look at yad 2 to see what 5000 nis rent will get you there. I peeked, and in Mazkeret, a private cottage costs more than 7000 nis, and a 4 bedroom apartment costs around 5300 NIS, but there was only one (a new one). The 3 bedroom apartments are listed for the same price.

If, on the other hand, you aren't into egalitarian minyanim and things like that, then you probably would feel comfortable with any regular dati leumi community. In many dati leumi communities you have the whole spectrum, from pants wearing to full head covering. If you don't need anglos, then you've pretty much got the whole country to choose from. There are sefardi shuls everywhere.

(Stay clear of communities that label themselves 'Torani', they are usually more right wing. Also, some of the yeshuvim are also more right wing).

amother
Lightyellow

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 6:28 pm
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions