Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Out of control eczema
1  2  Next

ces

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 11:22 am
My 9 year old daughter has had eczema her entire life. We have kept it more or less under control for the past few years with only occasional use of betamethasone valerate, mostly regular moisturizer, sometimes bleach baths and wet wraps. Recently she had a flare that we could not bring under control with our usual protocol. Her hands look terrible, raw and weeping. I hope to bring her to the doctor tomorrow iyH but looking for ideas here as well. I'm afraid this may now be steroid withdrawal and not just eczema anymore.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 11:24 am
Is she allergic? Bring her to a chiropractor. I know several people who it worked wonders for and dont have eczema anymore

ces

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 11:26 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Is she allergic? Bring her to a chiropractor. I know several people who it worked wonders for and dont have eczema anymore

She had multiple food allergies as a baby but outgrew most, just allergic to peanuts and some tree nuts now.

Any chiropractor recommendations in Lakewood?

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 11:29 am
1) DO NOT use steroids. It will get worse before it gets better.

2) Bentonite clay soaks and wraps work wonders for short-term. Overnight wrap makes a huge difference and even a 20 minute once or twice daily soak relieves and heals.

3) Supplement with a good methylated B (my DS likes Maxi lozenges), Zinc, and a strong probiotic. One winter I did just a daily probiotic. This winter I did the B and the Zinc and added fermented foods to DS's diet. (To test it I stopped the supplements for 2 weeks when the weather was pretty mild, and we saw it flare back up, so then I continued it until the spring when the eczema goes away.)

4) As much as possible, try to find the allergens that are causing the eczema.

ces

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 11:32 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
1) DO NOT use steroids. It will get worse before it gets better.

2) Bentonite clay soaks and wraps work wonders for short-term. Overnight wrap makes a huge difference and even a 20 minute once or twice daily soak relieves and heals.

3) Supplement with a good methylated B (my DS likes Maxi lozenges), Zinc, and a strong probiotic. One winter I did just a daily probiotic. This winter I did the B and the Zinc and added fermented foods to DS's diet. (To test it I stopped the supplements for 2 weeks when the weather was pretty mild, and we saw it flare back up, so then I continued it until the spring when the eczema goes away.)

4) As much as possible, try to find the allergens that are causing the eczema.

Thank you! I'll iyH try these. What types of fermented foods did you try?

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 11:34 am
ces wrote:
Thank you! I'll iyH try these. What types of fermented foods did you try?

I made my own sauerkraut and pickles. My kids love them and ate them daily. I also make my own yogurt but this eczema kid is allergic to dairy.
You can also buy this products from a health food store, from the company Fer-real.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 11:36 am
ces wrote:
She had multiple food allergies as a baby but outgrew most, just allergic to peanuts and some tree nuts now.

Any chiropractor recommendations in Lakewood?

In my experience people dont usually outgrow food allergies. They just come out in different ways / different reactions

Unfortunately I dont have rec of a chiropractor in lakewood but this one was great
https://www.wellness.com/dir/4.....errer

ces

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 11:43 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
I made my own sauerkraut and pickles. My kids love them and ate them daily. I also make my own yogurt but this eczema kid is allergic to dairy.
You can also buy this products from a health food store, from the company Fer-real.

Can you give me instructions on how to make sauerkraut? I anyway have tons of cabbage from the school lunch boxes

I tried pickles once but they got moldy

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 11:47 am
Speak to your child's doctor. There are new non steroid medications available in cream and injection form that deal with the source such as eucrisa and dupixent among others (they can tell you what's for children).

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 11:55 am
A food allergy is what they call it when there is a clinical response to the testing.
My son tested negative but the doctor felt that he should still steer clear of eggs base upon the physical response after ingestion.
If she has a history of allergies, and severe eczema, I would definitely take her off of those foods for 6 weeks and then reassess.

However, the weeping eczema may also be infected. So you may need to treat with something more heavy duty. Or at least rule out infection, and keep the open wound covered.
It is tricky, my son gets severe eczema in the wintertime, and I succumbed to the more serious treatments out of concern he would develop a secondary infection.
B"H the winter was mild so it set in much later this year, and cleared up pretty quickly once the weather warmed up.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 12:00 pm
ces wrote:
Can you give me instructions on how to make sauerkraut? I anyway have tons of cabbage from the school lunch boxes

I tried pickles once but they got moldy

I bought these and these. Plus the mason jars in my local housewares store.

You check the cabbage according to your LOR. Grate it in the food processor on the thinnest grate. Weigh it. Add a little less than a tablespoon of sea salt per pound of cabbage. Mix in a bowl and let it sit. After a couple of hours when there's juice in the bowl, transfer everything, cabbage and juice into a mason jar. Add the weights to keep all the cabbage under the juice, and follow the directions for the cover. Let sit preferably in a dark room-temperature place. I keep it on the counter behind my sicnk. Every couple of days keep pushing down all the cabbage as much as you can. Add more weights if needed. I like to use the handle of a wooden spoon to push down the sides as well. The sauerkraut is done after about 10-12 days but the longer it sits the more fermented it gets. Just don't let it sit too long. Once it's done, keep refrigerated.

Lydia

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 12:17 am
Some people in my family with eczema from seasonal environmental allergens have had success from drinking stinging nettle tea--to the point of being able to eliminate claritin and still seeing all symptoms under control. They steep the leaves and drink a glass each day. It seems to build up in the body over the course of several days, so keep at it for a while if you decide to try it.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 5:24 am
I highly recommend photo therapy.
It helped my sons severe eczema a lot.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 7:47 am
I second the aversion to steroid use. Please use as minimally as possible, and better not to use at all.
Here’s some tips from my experience.
The general idea in eczema (on a daily basis- not to discuss any the medical end), is to keep the child as comfortable as possible, so that they don’t exacerbate their symptoms by scratching. Also, if it helps, wear soft cotton clothing and pjs that cover as much of the area as possible. Again, to reduce scratching.
Keep an eye on detergents and soaps to see if they are causing additional irritation .
My child has tested positive for a dust allergy, and while we obviously couldn’t eliminate all dust, we tried to reduce the amounts in the bedroom through mattress covers, extra vacuuming etc.
I am so sorry for you and dd. Eczema can be excruciating. But if it’s any consolation, most kids outgrow it. And there’s always a Plan.
Refuah shleima!

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:20 pm
There is an organization for eczema - atopic dermatitis called Kumi uri.

For extreme cases there is a drug called dupilumab

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:26 pm
Kawasaki syndrome from covid?

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:54 pm
oy. my heart goes out to you. ppl think "its just eczema". but its not. it takes over your life. im not talking aobut a little rash. my dc has a severe case. they want to put him on immunosuppresents. the sleepless nights scratching... the mrsa infections....I have no good suggestions. we tried everything. just know there are others who get you and feel for you.

ces

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:16 pm
Ora in town wrote:
Kawasaki syndrome from covid?

No. BH we have not had it.

ces

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:17 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
oy. my heart goes out to you. ppl think "its just eczema". but its not. it takes over your life. im not talking aobut a little rash. my dc has a severe case. they want to put him on immunosuppresents. the sleepless nights scratching... the mrsa infections....I have no good suggestions. we tried everything. just know there are others who get you and feel for you.

Thank you! I appreciate the validation... That's exactly what it is, going on ten years now. And I just feel for her, it's such a huge part of her life. And then other kids don't want to hold her hand Sad

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:22 pm
My son went on Singular for his allergies and without it being our intention at all it bh it cleared up his eczema. He had only a mild case but I think it may be worth asking the dr about
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics